Industry Nine All Mountain Wheelset

4.56/5 (25 Reviews)

Think of the Industry Nine All Mountain Wheelset as a heartier version of the XC Wheelset. The differences are primarily the rim -- a 26mm wide single eyelet rim -- and at the hub -- the ultra-convertible Industry Nine Enduro hub. The combination allows for bigger rubber and a better footprint to tackle most anything. The rear hub gets larger flanges to provide extra stiffness, and the freehub body still provides the three degrees of engagement. The 15mm thru-axle front hub allows you to use most any all-mountain oriented fork, and the rear hub comes ready for a 135mm quick release (not included). Industry Nine .100" spokes bring things together, so you can wreck havoc on the trails, not your wheels. Adapters are available to convert the hub to accept quick release, 9mm thru-bolt, 15 and 20mm thru-axle, 24mm Maverick, or 25mm Specialized configurations. The stock Industry Nine All Mountain Wheelset is available with matching spokes and hubs in anodized silver, red or black laced to a white or black Industry Nine 26mm wide single eyelet rim. If these options aren't what you had in mind, give us a ring or drop us a line as Industry Nine can customize a wheelset in most any color combination on any rim -- it will require a wait of 10-12 weeks though. Skewers are not included.Tubeless 101: The Why and the How Explained.

Industry Nine All-Mountain Wheelset Pro Review

The Industry Nine All Mountain wheels are pretty darn sweet, as they are lightweight, brutally strong, look good, are well made, and have one of the most amazing freehubs I have ever used! Instant power can be applied to the wheel due to their 120 point of engagement hub, with virtually no lag in the power transition, making pedaling a joy, especially in highly technical terrain. All the I9 wheels use their straight pull hubs, and aluminum spokes, which makes them a pretty unique system. Continue reading →

Submitted by John Holloway a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, stay true, stiff, fast engagement, pretty

Weaknesses:    People want to stop you and ask about them...

Bottom Line:
I've had a set of these for over two years and the only spokes I've broken were from somebody knocking my bike over while it was parked at an event rest stop onto its drive side. Not realizing how badly the derailleur hanger was bent inward, I lost two spokes the next time I shifted to the lowest gear and two more broke later on, probably from the initial gouging the chain gave them. Even missing four spokes, the wheel stayed true enough that I was able to finish the 45 mile ride, including the technical "extra credit" bits.

Replacing Industry 9 spokes is no more difficult than conventional ones. While aluminum doesn't take abrasion as well as steel, the wheels just stay tru, even though I regularly ride pretty technical, rocky stuff.

These are expensive, but they are definitely a case of getting what you pay for. I had mine built with Stan's Arch rims and I used Gorilla Tape instead of conventional rim tape. It's been a tough, reliable combination.

Favorite Trail:   Guacamole - Hurricane, Utah

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Purchased At:   CalCoast Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo HD, Fox Talas 36, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Raceface Atlas crankset, Hope brakes, King headset, BB and stem, Kenda Excavator tires, KS Lev seatpost, WTB saddle

Submitted by Betarad a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, reliable, tough, versatile axle choices.

Weaknesses:    I have to wear my strongest readers when replacing the occasional broken pawl spring (a very simple procedure otherwise)

Bottom Line:
Had these wheels almost 3 years now, they've outlasted one bike frame and taken some serious abuse. Forget the notion that the proprietary aluminum spokes are a weakness - they're not. I've replaced 2 spokes since I bought them, which means I still have a couple of the spare spokes they originally came with. I've had them trued once, not really out of necessity but I figured after 2 years I should have the spokes re-tensoined. Been through 2 sets of bearings, one I just changed during a recent axle conversion. Replaced a few broken pawl springs. Maintenance is super easy.

Some folks claim excessive noise and freewheel drag - both very temporary issues that quickly disappear within the first month of riding.

But the best thing of all - I9 customer service. The guys at I9 are there for you when you need 'em.

I Highly recommend this wheelset.

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, Mavic, Azonic

Bike Setup:   Original set-up: Titus El Guapo. Current set-up: Mojo HD

Submitted by mc

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    STIFF! Fast Engagement, Look Awesome, Good Anodizing....did I mention STIFF!

Weaknesses:    Although you can make them tubeless, no tubeless bead like the Enduro line.

Bottom Line:
I've been running Hadley's with Flows for the past 1.5 years and loved the combo. Those got me through everything and after my repeated abuse, never needed to be trued. I thought those were the bread and butter....until I got these. Right from the get go, I noticed how much stiffer these wheels. Tail whipping and hammering it standing up, you notice how little flex the rim gives. Spin up speed is about the same and engagement isn't noticeably faster over the Hadleys.

One down side to the rim is that they don't have a tubeless bead. I9 says to run a Stan's Rhino Lite rim strip, but I just wrapped the rim twice with yellow tape and have had no issues. I'm running WTB Bronson/Wolverrine TCS tires.

I gave the rim 4 chills overall because they aren't tubeless like the Enduross. I think that is a major flaw in todays market, especially since you pay so much for a rim. Other than they, they are definitely worth it if you go the extra coin. I took the hub apart and it's just a little bit more work to rebuild it over the Hadley.

Submitted by Evil Industries a All Mountain Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2012

Strengths:    Ultra stiff wheelset, super fast engagement, great customer support from I9, and all around a beautiful looking wheelset!

Weaknesses:    Price is on the high side, but you definitely get what you pay for!

Bottom Line:
If you can find a way to even consider spending this much on a wheelset, DO IT! Because you will not be disappointed! After the first few rides, you will need to tighten and re-true the wheels, but after that, just beat the hell out of them and keep them clean!

Favorite Trail:   Evans Creek/Keystone Canyon

Purchased At:   www.industrynine.net

Bike Setup:   2012 Santa Cruz Nomad 2.1, Fox Kashima Talas 36 160 FIT RLC, Fox Kashima RP23, 2012 XT/XTR Trail Group

Submitted by Mexicano a Weekend Warrior from Asheville NC USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Wheels are stiff and stay true.....Engagement is outstanding....Attention to detail/craftsmanship is unrivaled.

Weaknesses:    They ain't cheap!

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent product period. I have owned several sets of these wheels, and only parted with them when friends offered to buy them from me. I weigh 205 lbs. and ride them hard on rocky/rooty technical terrain. Occasionally after a really wet winter I will have the bearings repacked, but otherwise my wheels have been maintenance free. This is perhaps among the sinlge best upgrades you can make to a mountain bike.

Purchased At:   Pro Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Hope, Chris King

Bike Setup:   YETI 575's, ASR-7

Submitted by lestershaw a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2010

Strengths:    Everything, these wheels + hubs are everything i hoped for and more. i am 16 stone and hard on my bikes and ride 3 or 4 times a week, the wheels are still true and none of the spokes are damaged or bent in anyway. i even chose not to tighten them up after first ride as you have to send them back to the shop and i had already waited 3 months for them and none of the spokes have loosened up. i now have 2 sets after importing some 2nd hand ones from the usa for half the price. there are 2 things that have transformed my riding, dropper seatposts and the i9s with the instant pick up which until you try it you would not know how much you missed it, some people say they are noisy, but they are dead quiet compared to my hope 2s. out of all my bike stuff i would never sell my i9s i would rather sell my bike

Weaknesses:    None for what they are, perfect. but there is a long wait for them and the worry about parting ith them whn it is time for a service

Bottom Line:
i wouldnt be without these wheels, expensive i know but well worth it in my opinion

Favorite Trail:   epping-danbury-tewin-

Purchased At:   just riding along

Similar Products Used:   hopes, hope 2s, deemax, dt swiss, hugis, xt, xtr etc

Bike Setup:   ibis mojo naked carbon, fox air i9 enduros red spokes set up for all mountain.
ibis mojo sl dt swiss shock white i9 enduros with silver spokes
ib

Submitted by wenisman a Weekend Warrior from London - Sydney

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    looks great, solid build quality, the freebody sound i kinda funky

Weaknesses:    pricey, parts availability, time to delivery

Bottom Line:
To begin with these wheel look fantastic and are probably some of the best bike bling around.

They have remained true and strong, even though I am using them on a steel hardtail and punishing them on rocky, technical single track. They really do inspire confidence and they just do roll smooth with a soothing buzz. They are solid and stutter free under braking and the instant engagement makes technical riding much easier. The transition revolution rims makes the package perfect for me...

These wheels started out a little frustrating with the ordering taking 14 weeks to get my wheels made and delivered which i endured but should be deemed unacceptable. The availability of parts is a concern, after buckling the front wheel it became evident that you cant just take the wheel down the LBS and get a new one... yet more ordering from I9 and they are not cheap spokes but also the time without a wheel.

You can draw a direct comparison against the chris kings in terms of workmanship and direct engagement. The I9's have been more bulletproof and do not require as much maintenance but the kings can be built into a new wheel by any LBS with stock parts on hand.

however when you compare the I9 against hadleys or hopes which are both cheaper, easier to get parts and also provide years of trouble free service (my hope xc's are now 7 years old and after calculating have done almost 25000 trouble free miles except for one set of barings) its a different story. Whilst the instant engagement is beautiful and makes riding easier its the confidence under braking that separates these wheels and its where you spend your money.

i still highly recommend the industry nine wheels not only for their innovation and attention to detail but also for their passion and desire to push the sport.

if you are not the type of person to wait for parts you need to have alot of spares (spokes, exact rims, bearings) to make these wheels worth while. if you want to ride and easily service your wheels then i think there are better choices out there.

Favorite Trail:   6" only

Similar Products Used:   dt swiss, hope xc, chris kings, hadleys

Bike Setup:   evil sovereign, rockshox pike 456 dual airs, hope m4 (originals), race face cranks, time pedals

Submitted by mimi1885 a Weekend Warrior from Pasadena CA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Engagement, Great sound, Looks, Customer service

Weaknesses:    Break-in needs to re-true the spokes
when I order the wheelset, it took a while. Now I think they do much better.
you can sneak up to anyone on the downhill

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset, I can convert it to 15qr if I want to. There's a lot to say about the 3 degree engagement, it's instant! I own 4 set of I9 one set I took 3 pawls out it seems to be more quiet but why. Some people comment that it's loud but it's just as loud as the CrossMax Sl.

I didn't really notice the quick engagement until I switch to another wheel then the difference became obvious. It comes in really handy especially some technical section where you need a short control track stand.

I also like the custom colors and combo. Highly recommend. It's the same price as any high-end wheelset. so if you are considering high-end set try to demo one.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-it

Purchased At:   The Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Kings, DT swiss, XTR, Crossmax, I9 enduro etc

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X XT, hope mini, Kenda EXcavator, Reba WC

Submitted by Papalazarou a Cross Country Rider from Somerset

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff wheelset. Good quality rim. looks fantastic. great engagement.

Weaknesses:    Very poor bearings. They might be ok in the states but in the UK it rains, a lot! I'm on my second set of bearings in both wheels in less than six months. Additionally, the pawl springs are very delicate and I had to get the freehub apart to replace one which had broken. Whilst I was there I alo had to locate and replace a couple of grub screws that has worked themselves loose.
The freehub body was a pig to remove and had developed a hairline crack even before I took it apart. Additionally, parts are not easily available in the UK.

Bottom Line:
Really far from impressed. especially the comment from their tech department that I'd probably 'jet washed the grease out of the bearings.' I want to like this product, but should have bought Chris king or Hope. They might be high grade bearings, but if they can't handle water ingress, what's the point? Maybe they're only designed for dry days in California? I'm giving them two flaming chillis. they performed exceptionally well for a few months and if they'd continued to do so I'd have given them a 4/5.
As it is, i'm still using the front one with a better sealed bearing and have thrown the rear away.

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   Competitve Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Hope, DT etc. Never an issue. always worked extremely well.

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, XT cranks, Shram X9, Hope brakes, Chris King H/set + BB.

Submitted by jlukes42 a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Strengths:    Super, SUPER fast engagement! Super bling-y. Super stiff. Pretty light.

Weaknesses:    LOUD. A bit finicky free hub mechanism. Super bling-y.

Bottom Line:
I bought these because they were one of the first to offer 15QR adapters for their front hub and they have fast engagement. I sold my Chris King ISO's for these, which had a similar engagement, but not quite as quick. I loved the I9s, they are stiff and performed well overall, but I could not get over noise. These suckers are loud. Practically everyone that I would come up on would ask what the hell was up with my hubs. I even got used to the King's "Killer Bee" sound, but I couldn't get past the I9 noise. I like to hear the mountain, the dirt flying off the tires, maybe an occasional bird...forget about it. At least it scares off the bears and mountain lions.

Performance-wise, it's hard to beat these, though. Starting out on a steep incline is no problem, and wheelie-ing off of drops is a piece of cake. Acceleration is amazing. There is absolutely no flex because of the aluminum spokes, but they're a bit fragile and easy to malform. The only performance problem I really had was that the rear hub developed some drag that was hard to get rid of, short of loosening the pressure on the bearings to the point that there was some play.

I think I'll go back to the King's, but right now I have a set of the new XT's that seem to do the trick. I'd give the I9s a 5—and keep them—if it weren't for the noise. Some people don't mind it, but it's just a bit much for me. I guess that the price you pay for 120 points of engagement. You could take 3 of the pawls out and that would reduce the noise, and the points of engagement, but what's the point in that? (no pun intended)

Happy Riding!

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Chris King, DT Swiss 240

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Marzocchi 44 ATA, Formula Oro K24, some tires, handlebars and other random tidbits

Submitted by oren levy a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    amazing rolling stiffnes and litnes

Bottom Line:
the best wheels i've had good for any conditions i rode.

Favorite Trail:   all mountain

Purchased At:   e-quip

Similar Products Used:   crossmax

Bike Setup:   cannondale rize 1

Submitted by Iwan a Weekend Warrior from Cape Town, South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light for what it is and can cope with
Freaking good looking
Stiff
Super fast engagement
Adaptable

Weaknesses:    On the expensive side, but no more than a Chris King Wheelset

Bottom Line:
I love these. Mine is build with Stan's Flow rim and I use the 20mm conversion. Took me 5min to convert them from 9mm QR to 20mm TA. Brilliant. Difficult to tell whether they engage faster than CK's, but these are as fast as they get. Have been stiff and true through rock gardens and have stayed true after several drops, jumps and other adventures.

Favorite Trail:   Tokai / Harkerville and Jonkers at night

XTR

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by Gorealquick a Racer from Quesnel, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Super light, instant freehub engagement, less expensive than comparable alternatives, hot!

Weaknesses:    Bearing longevity

Bottom Line:
I've been racing on the ultralight version built onto Stans ZTR rims for two seasons now, including mega-events like the TransRockies and BC Bike Race. Actual weights came in at 620g front and 820g rear. These things fly! They make the climbs nearly effortless. I used to downhill race, so they take a beating on the decents and come out unscathed. Next to no trueing required. The freehub mechanism is super simple to rebuild and works virtually flawlessly. WAY tougher than Mavic's pathetic FTS-L freehubs.

Downside - while doing the first spoke tension job (after a year!) I busted a spoke getting tension up to recommended torque. When I replaced that spoke, it happened a second time. Spoke windup was the issue. So, if you get the ultralight spokes, tension a tad under recommended torque. No biggie. Secondly, the bearings are quite exposed, so bearing durability is a factor. I went through the stock bearings after about a thousand kilometers, then replaced with full ceramic bearings (not hybrid ceramic). They spin AMAZING, but didn't last any longer than the stock bearings. As a racer and a mechanic, a little extra bearing maintenance for something this high performance is not a huge deal... just bit annoying. Lighter, cheaper, and better freehubs than Mavic SLR. Ride them, love them. There goes my secret advantage!

Favorite Trail:   Pinnacles