Fulcrum Red Power XL MTB Wheelset

Keeping with Fulcrum tradition, the Fulcrum Red Power XL MTB Wheelset gives you better performance: the new milled rim is of a higher standard and the weight is set at 1735g. Thanks to the straight-head spokes and oversize hub, the Fulcrum Red Power XL MTB Wheelset is also extremely reliable and reactive and can be put to full use on any race track or for long cycling trips with friends.

Submitted by pfunkmd a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2016

Strengths:    The wheels are light for the price.

Weaknesses:    The one strength of the wheelset is also a weakness. The first problem with these wheels is that they are not stiff, I think because of the lack of spoks. The second problem with these wheels is that the rear wheel hub after only 100km is having problems. Third problem is that the rear wheel is out of true. From what I have read others are having the same problem with the hub and rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
Don't be fooled by the good reviews, they are not good wheels. I owned a lot of other wheelsets and these are the worse ones yet (for the price). I have a set of mavic xm 317 with lx hubs that are stiffer (100 euro mavic wheelset) I am not leaving this review just because I am pissed, I just don't want others to get fooled by the good reviews like I did. I think that what happens is that people get the new wheels and compared to the stock wheels they are very nice, so they give a good review. If you want a good budget wheelset try the new 2016 crossrides. I had a set of Crossrides that I rode for 2 years with absolutely no problems and the 2016s are wider and lighter than the 2014s that I had.
I don't want to say that all fulcrum wheels are bad. I purchased these because I had a set of red metal 5s by fulcrum that lasted perfectly for 2 years. Fulcrum has and makes good products just not these IMO. Not to mention, here in Germany customer service for these wheels is non existent. So to everyone, I hope that this helps with your decision.

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum Red Metal 5, Mavic Crossride, Mavic xm 317, Rigida Zac 19, Alex en24, For the price all were better.

CAMELBAK LOW RIDER