Fulcrum Red Power SL Disc MTB Wheelset

Sturdy, resistant and eye-catching. The Fulcrum Red Power SL Disc MTB Wheelset for clinchers is the best choice for daily use and training, without ever compromising on performance. The geometry of the hub and spokes make the Fulcrum Red Power SL Disc MTB Wheelset is extremely reactive and efficient, and the new graphics make it all the more aggressive... just like its price.

Submitted by justwan naride

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2014

Strengths:    Rolling quality, looks, decent upgrade compared to most entry level wheelsets... if the freehub doesn't die on you.

Weaknesses:    Reliability (crappy freehub). 2:1 assym.spoke system makes them harder to true perfectly. Parts hard to source.

Bottom Line:
I got them slightly used (2 months) from a 90kg rider that got a new bike and needed 20mm through axle. He sworn these were stiff & strong enough for him and indeed when I got them they were perfectly true. I've had them for 16 months now and I had to true them a couple of times each.Most time was as a precaution, they weren't that bad but due to the low spoke count I didn't want to test their limits. Bear in mind I have a hardtail and my typical xc rides involve a fair bit of rocky technical singletrack.

The driveside bearing on the front wheel needed replacing after 10 months, that cost me 12 euros for an SKF replacement. Easy fix, no problems since.

Less than a month later, I had some skippin/slipping, which I initially thought was the chainring or cassette, but it came out that it was the freehub kicking the bucket. I found a replacement due to sheer luck, and quite cheaply too (20 euros).

The new freehub lasted all of six months and it was quite hard sourcing a new one. Seriously bummed. I finally ordered from a german online retailer for 37 euros plus shipping, but they didn't mention it was out of stock. I now have it but I haven't been able to ride my bike for a whole month.

So, these have cost me 120 (2nd hand price) + 12 (bearings) + 20 (1st freehub) + 47 (2nd freehub + shipping) = 199 euros.

My recommendation: Save some more money and get a dirt worthy set of wheels built. Reliable hubs, easily replaceable spokes and 32 holed rims. I know I will when I have the cash.