Fulcrum Red Metal 5 Wheelset

RedMetal 5 wheels allow all enthusiasts to enter the Fulcrum Off-Road universe. Their rim has a specific profile for disc brakes with a height of 19 mm, a bonded joint and black anodized finish. This is the same finish that distinguishes the spokes mounted in a 2:1 Two-to-One configuration with 16 elements on the sprocket set and disc side and eight elements on the other. he axles, with a 20 mm diameter both front and rear, run on sealed bearings.

Submitted by Lovrix a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Nice looking , light for the price , rear hub sound , durabilty. 4200km and not a single true on XC hardtail. Takes tires from 1.2 to 2.25

Weaknesses:    Weak rims. I dent them on 3 spots , and i ride them on at least 2.0 bars.

Bottom Line:
Very good wheelset for the price , I paid them 200$ and I'm preaty pleasd with them.

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme, Medvednica

Purchased At:   Maraton.si

Similar Products Used:   Shimano wh 575

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Oetzi Absalon replica , Fulcrum RM5 , Shimano Deore 596 brakes , XT/X9 drivetrain , Manitou R7 abs+

Submitted by ronsalvador a Cross Country Rider from Manila

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light, strong and roll very smoothly

Weaknesses:    freehub body and sealed bearing availability

Bottom Line:
I have 3 sets of fulcrum and I would recommend the product in terms of strength but I wouldn't buy another fulcrum because of the spare parts availability. Even the sealed bearings are hard to find and the fulcrum people doesn't care. I had an unfortunate accident and the rear hub was damaged, I called the store where I bought it and he recommended to just buy a new wheelset. I tried emailing fulcrum but no one is answering.

Favorite Trail:   La Mesa Trail

Purchased At:   Decimal

Similar Products Used:   Crossride

Bike Setup:   Marin Palisades XC

Submitted by g-hed a Racer from NZ

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Fast smooth hubs, strong wide(ish) rims, strong bladed spokes and low spoke count. Relatively lightweight and stay true.

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavier than quoted (closer to the 1860g mark)

Bottom Line:
Excellent value. Excellent wheels. Get them while you can.

Purchased At:   Bike24

Similar Products Used:   FSA XC wheelset, 32 hole wheelsets.

Submitted by jpeters a Cross Country Rider from germany

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Light good price 20mm axle

Weaknesses:    Stickers look bad

Bottom Line:
These wheels are great!! I got them on a warranty from Focus Bikes. I had alex en24 rims with shimano deore hubs and the hubs kept going bad and focus gave me these on a upgrade warranty for free. I love these wheels my old ones would bend so easy and they just felt loose. These fulcrums are so strong I have put like 2000km on them and they are still true all is good if you are considering buying these wheels do it they are so stiff and a great price if you shop around

Purchased At:   Mayers

Similar Products Used:   Mavic dtswiss

Bike Setup:   Focus Black Forest Fox 32f100 fork slx group set with shimano flat pedals nobby nic front 2.4, larsen tt rear 2.3 sunline v2 stem and bars

Submitted by lew242 a Weekend Warrior from UK and China

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, responsiveness, strength, price

Weaknesses:    bearings (maybe), decal stickers

Bottom Line:
Had a problem with the bearings which were replaced at minimal cost. We suspect that this was because originals were switched out by a seller for inferior ones (mainland China lol).

One true in three years on rear wheel only! I do 10,000kms a year 50/50 road dirt, with intermediate jumps, ledges and drop-offs. With the strength generated by the skewers it seems likely that the rims are lighter but just as strong as many AM/freeride sets.

Only downside is aesthetic, decals are yuk, also after a few sloppy puncture repairs decals start to look nasty fairly soon.

Incredible rims for the price.

Similar Products Used:   None as Good

Bike Setup:   Hard tail XC/AM, self built around Giant XTC frame

Submitted by knightrider3000 a Cross Country Rider from singapore

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Bling bling. Tough and durable. Reasonably light.

Weaknesses:    Decal instead of printed fulcrum logo.

Bottom Line:
Best wheelset for XC race

Favorite Trail:   Bukit timah

Purchased At:   Integrated riding

Similar Products Used:   Shimano deore xt

Bike Setup:   Felt q720

Submitted by renaissancebikr a Weekend Warrior from D.C. Suburbs, Maryland

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    Great build quality. Sturdy, Sealed hub. Stays true. Relatively light weight. Responsive. Good looks (though I can see how folks might think the stickers gaudy). Price.

Weaknesses:    Warranty?

Bottom Line:
I'm a roadie at heart. After many years of pounding the pavement, I decided to build up a hardtail to try my hand at some spirited off-road/trail riding. My selection of components reflected careful consideration. I'm a fan of Mavic but when I saw a deal on this Campy-fortified wheelset for the dirt and had to give them a try. I found that they are comparable to the Crosstrails (my initial choice) in weight and features for far less money.

On the trail, these wheels are smooth and responsive. My bike is a joy to ride. The wheelset/tire/suspension combo are very confidence inspiring. I've gotten several positive comments/questions about the wheelset.

I highly recommend Red Metal 5 wheelset for all-around trail riding and moderate technical riding as an alternative to the mid/low-end Mavics. I do wish that Fulcrum/Campagnolo offered a similar protection plan to Mavic.

With this level quality it won't be long before Fulcrum wheels get popular... Really popular!

Favorite Trail:   Fairland / TBD

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   various Mavic Cross-series wheelsets.

Bike Setup:   Custom build (by me) featuring 2008 Giant XTC frame, SRAM X.9, WTB Shadow V saddle, RaceFace Deus XC seat post, Ritchey Pro Riser bar, TruVativ Stylo Crank, Rockshox RECON 351 fork w/lockout, Avid BB7 brakes, Time Pedals, WTB Velociraptor Tires on Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels (Universal 6-bolt), Ergon grips.

Submitted by xc-rider48 a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2009

Strengths:    Strong for a 24 spoke wheel, Smooth precision sealed bearings, Ease of servicing, 19mm (3/4") deep rim makes easy tyre replacement, Instant pedal take up, Preload on bearings adjustable, Affordable.

Weaknesses:    Stickers used on hubs to show the company's logo.
Choice of presta valves only.
Weight of supplied QR skewers 142gms.
Wheels heavier than manufactures claims

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Fulcrum Red Metal 5, 6 bolt int std 2009 version, Front wheel weight 879gms, Rear 1025gms including rim tape but without QR skewers (1904gms total)
They have 24 stainless bladed/aero straight pull spokes per wheel, Front having 16 on the disc side, rear with 16 cluster side, stainless steel nipples, a bonded 19mm deep rim, precision ground double sealed bearings and a steel freewheel cluster.
I weight 94kgs & after about 1800klm of XC / single track riding they are still as smooth and straight as when they were first fitted to the bike, the hubs only require a 2.5mm allan key to take the hubs apart making it easy for the owner to clean or apply some grease to the spawles when required.
The cluster engagement is instant, allowing only 1" of peddle rotation even in the granny gears.

It would be nice to see a Shredder valve version available
as the rear shock and most forks use this standard, It would also be nice to see the manufacturers logo engraved into the hubs rather than a sticker and the supplied QR skewers are way to heavy.

I have no regrets with my purchase & in my opinion used for there intended use are currently the best value vs quality XC wheelset at this price point on the market, lighter wheels cost twice this amount.

Favorite Trail:   Any that require technical skill

Purchased At:   wiggle UK

Similar Products Used:   Sun DS1-XC rims / Novatec sealed bearing hubs.
Mavic 117 rims / shimano hubs.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 2 frame, Fox vanilla RLC 125mm forks, shimano XT hyd brakes & cranks, Shadow derailleurs/shifters, fsa carbon xc handlebars, Fizik Aliante gamma XM saddle, XTR Chain, FSA OS-115 90mm Stem, Thomson set back seat post etc.

Submitted by tom foolery a Cross Country Rider from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Value
Sealed bearings
Cool spokes

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Good value wheelset with blade style spokes and sealed bearing hubs.
Can't comment on how strong they are but they haven't bent yet.
They roll nice and fast.
Good for someone wanting to upgrade to sealed bearing hubs.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrows

Purchased At:   chain reaction

Bike Setup:   Specialised Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2006

Opinions/experience with Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels?

I have an opportunity at work to pick up the Red Metal 5 wheeset for like 200 bucks at work. Anybody with experience with these wheels or similar Fulcrum wheels, id like to know what your opinions are or if theres something else in the same category (msrp-wise) that i should be considering. Thanks i ... Read More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 5 Wheels

Just wanted to do a short review on this wheel set as I cant seem to find much on them. I have the 2009 RM5 wheels and I have been using them for about 2 years now regularly a few times a week and no problems. The wheels get jumped plow over roots and rocks I go down some rough stuff on them and t ... Read More »

Easton XC One -or- Fulcrum Red Metal 5

Just as the title says... I'm looking at getting a new wheel-set and have narrowed it down to these two choices. Easton XC One (2009) $300 Fulcrum Red Metal 5 $260 Both have favorable reviews from what I have read thus far. I am light (140 lbs), and ride a mix of local singletrack and a ... Read More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or 5?

I'm looking to change my wheel set and am considering the Fulcrum Red Metal 3 or the Red Metal 5. The 3's are lighter, tubeless ready but the reviews for both 3's and 5's read well and I'm struggling to justify spending a lot more money on the 3's as they are almost twice the price of the 5's. Doe ... Read More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 5

I am looking to replace a set of Alexrim DP17 wheels at fuji hubs. I am on a bit of a budget. I came across the Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels, they seem like a good deal. I pretty much ride some rocky single track with some moderate hills. I weigh around 220 lbs. Are the Red Metal 5 a good wheel that w ... Read More »