Fulcrum Red Metal 29 SL Wheelset

• Hubs: oversize, aluminium with 20 mm axles
  • Brakes: disk, 6 ISO bolts

Submitted by Rugby sucks a All Mountain Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    Well made hubs, Strong wheelset, not too heavy, great value. I was worried about the spoke count being only 28 per wheel, as I sometimes ride some interesting terrain, and weigh approx. 82 kg. However, I need not have worried, as they are quite strong.

Weaknesses:    None, as this wheelset does what it is meant to do.

Bottom Line:
If you are really worried about weight, lose some from your Arse. Much cheaper, and you go faster !!

These wheels are great value for money, and are well made.

Favorite Trail:   Belmont

Purchased At:   trademe

Similar Products Used:   Alex, Sun equaliser, mavic, Chris king, Hope.

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kahuna Scandium H/T, 3 x 10, Reba 29er fork, lots of Carbon bits

Submitted by 251 a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide, SA, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, and a quiet freewheel

Weaknesses:    Heavy and covered with ugly stickers

Bottom Line:
An inexpensive wheelset that performs well, but is heavy and ugly. Remove the stickers and you're left with a good wheelset at a great price.

I've used these wheels for trail riding and enduro races, and they've never let me down.

My wheels w/o skewers weigh 2028g. This was done before I removed the stickers, and they may well be under 2kg now. Either way, they're still heavy.

Favorite Trail:   Craigburn

Similar Products Used:   Mostly Mavic and Shimano wheels

Bike Setup:   Kona Unit 29er, rigid, singlespeed

Submitted by fishwar a Weekend Warrior from York, pa

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2010

Strengths:    For the price they are the best value I found. Very solid and improves my confidents. Very little flex and they can take a beating. I am 215lb and ride a lot of rocky trails. So far the wheels have stayed true.

Weaknesses:    I can't see any!

Bottom Line:
For $300 these wheels are solid and strong. There seems to be three price points on 29" MTB wheel sets. $150 and below (too low quality to bother with), $300, and $500 and over. In the $300 range these wheels seem to be the best for the money.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge

Purchased At:   Ed's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Just the stock wheels on my 29" Specialized RockHopper.

Submitted by bonin_in_the_boneyard a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive. Nice looking decals.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, but I don't care. Gaudy decals, but I'll peel them off.

Bottom Line:
I had no idea that the wheels were such a weak link on this bike. When I switched from 26 to 29-inch wheels I thought the springy slop when pedaling hard, the instability in fast corners, and the flat tire feeling during hard breaking were from the low-end fork or otherwise just inherent in the 29-er geometry. I can't believe it took 3 years to finally decide that it was due to a sh!tty wheelset.

$300 is a lot of money for me, so I was concerned that my investment might not result in the improvement that I was hoping for. But I could feel the difference in these wheels before I left the parking lot. The biggest and most surprising difference is how much better they climb. I am not really sure what to attribute that to, but they just seem to require less concentration to keep them from spinning out.

One cool thing about these wheels is the axle. It really is a 20mm aluminum axle. That adds a lot of rigidity to the fork and frame without requiring an upgrade to either. That's the perfect solution for a guy like me who doesn't do enough pure downhill to justify a 20mm thru-axle setup, but who rides hard enough to want a more robust front end. It's like I got a bonus fork upgrade for the price of the wheels.

The decals are attractive, but I like a nondescript look, so I'll probably peel them off. The wheels are a little heavy, but I don't really care. Maybe if I had trouble keeping up with my buddies it would matter, but it's not worth it to me to pay $200 to shed 300g. On my budget I'm much more concerned with durability.

Bottom line is 10 chilis. If I have any problems with these wheels in the future I'll report back accordingly.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   AEBike.com

Similar Products Used:   Stock Ritchey / Shimano wheels.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cobia 29-er, Tora fork, SRAM shifters/derailleurs. Still have the BB5 brakes, though. As cheap as they are those things are bomber.

Submitted by myke2241 a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Strengths:    spins smooth, strong, great looks

Weaknesses:    maybe a bit heavy.

Bottom Line:
For what i paid for these wheels there is nothing out there that comes close. They come off a bit heavy but i think that issue is resolved by how smooth these things roll. my only complaint is that they are heavy. but at a mar $270. it is not a issue

Similar Products Used:   Fulcrum XLR, Mavic Crossmax 29er

Submitted by chadgo a Weekend Warrior from Matthews NC

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Strengths:    looks, bladed spokes look good, super strong so far.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy if you're a weight weenie. but where else can you buy a wheelset by a great company for this low price.

Bottom Line:
for the price, they're solid. look great w/their graphics on the sidewalls. i weigh 240 and have had no problem with them yet, riding single track with lots of jumps and drops.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Purchased At:   ebikestop.com

Similar Products Used:   wtb speeddisc.

Bike Setup:   fuji 29er tahoe comp, all shimano slx, specialized tires.

fulcrum red metal 29 sl

i bought me a set of 2nd hand fulcrum red metal 29 [B]sl[/B]. but i would like to convert to 15mm thru axle and all my LBS's only have stock of the adaptors for the fulcrum red metal 29 [B]xl[/B] are these the same? on the fulcrum it gives a list of wheels that work with these adaptors but the ... Read More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 29 SL

Is anyone running these tubeless? Are you using any kits (Stan's), or ghetto, or what? Thanks.Read More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 29 SL opinions?

How are they holding up? Need a budget wheelset for my girlfriends bike. Light rider (60kg), use on technical trails. Any advice is welcome. :thumbsup:Read More »

Red Metal 29 SL

What do you all think of the Red Metal 29 SL wheels from fulcrum? I'm looking to upgrade the ones I have on my monocog. I ride alot of rooty and muddy conditions up here in MaineRead More »

Fulcrum Red Metal 29 SL and XLR UST

I was perusing the "New Products" section of the QBP website and notcied a new wheelset? The question mark is due to the fact that I don't know if they've been previously announced here or elsewhere. 6 bolt hubs. At any rate, they are in stock right now... Red Metal 29 SL Part number WE6073 ... Read More »