Easton XC One Wheelset

• V-Max sealed cartridge bearings
  • Six-bolt international disc standard

Submitted by jayy a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    Rolls smoothly, light weight

Weaknesses:    Not very stiff, Always untrue and broke spokes twice a season.

Bottom Line:
I purchased those wheel to be able to switch to disc brake, I had some old cane creek wam team with titanium spokes and I can say those were lighter and stiffer however they didn't allow me to use disc brake. I weight about 200 lbs and I used them for xc only, and I can't even count the number of time I had to get them trued, I also broke spokes twice last season.

Now I switched to xtr wheel and I can say those are realy nice wheels, same stiffness as my old cane creek and they can take disc brake. Plus they can be used tubeless and are lighter than both of my old wheelset.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   cane creek wam team and xtr wh-m975

Bike Setup:   k2 razorback cannondale scalpel

Submitted by TC Sydney

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Strengths:    Strong and great price if at the right place at the right time

Weaknesses:    Bearings don't seem to last as long as others

Bottom Line:
As mentioned these are solid wheels.. I'm 95 kg (bit over 200 lbs for you imperialists) and these wheels are straight after more than 1000 km of both single track and fire trails with some fairly hard knocks and drops in the mix...I have not touched these wheels and as a result is bearings that are tight and rough..( yet to be replaed)..Do some regular maintainance, perhaps at the 500 km mark and these will be a great investment

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss XR1450... not as solid but never a problem and still havent serviced them....HMMMMM

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8, flat bars and foam grips running on Kenda Blue Groove

Submitted by ffighteremtp a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Super lightweight and durable. Have over 300 miles and still true like the day I put them on. The hubs roll for days and have very little resistance. I did maintenance on the rear hub every 200 miles of dirty trail riding and found no issues ever.

Weaknesses:    They do not come in 650b

Bottom Line:
I was very skeptical about these wheels with all of the good and bad reviews in the past. I read between the lines of what was true failure on the part of Easton and that of riders who likely didn't do any maintenance. The price was too good to take a chance at having a high performance wheelset for a fraction of what they should cost. Maybe I just got lucky and received a rare perfect set. Either way I have simply beat the crap out of these wheels considering what they are designed for. For an XC wheel to perform like a champ in an all mountain format at 1600 grams is simply awesome! If you want a solid set of wheels for a great price and take good care of your gear these should do the trick.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County Indiana, Walnut

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   PPdot.com

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed Disc
Forte Loco

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F3 Caffeine Hardtail , RS Tora TK 100mm, 1x9 Sram X-7 drivetrain, Avid Juicy 3 brakes w/alligator rotors.

Submitted by Bail_Monkey

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, stays true (for me at 170lbs, cross country riding), easy to mount tires, cosmetics look pretty clean.

Weaknesses:    The hub design is really bad with a ring tightener that does not stay in place which causes a loose/wobbly wheel. How can you ride with a loose wheel/rim? Mtb'ing is tough enough when your bike is setup and riding perfectly with all of the obstacles... Lateral stiffness may be an issue for some.

Bottom Line:
These rims are pretty good out of the box, lightweight and fast rolling. But (and that is a huge but), the rim starts to wobble or has play from side to side after a short while. You can fix this with a tightening ring on one side of the hub. This will fix it for a hour or two, but then the ring will move and the hub will be loose again. The rim seems fairly stiff, but you can push on the tire and feel the flex on the front, the back is better.

I've had these for about 2 years and the front hub completely froze on a ride. The internal bearings are pretty much gone. I'm not sure rebuilding these are worth it, due to the constatnt checking on a ride and the amount of time spent taking the wheel off and adjusting the stupid adjustment ring. The Easton engineering team laid an egg with this one. They should have done way more R&D testing before releasing this product, b/c it was going to get negative reviews once those that purchased it found out about the overall quality.

Submitted by samvaltenbergs a All Mountain Rider from Tiburon, CA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2012

Strengths:    Great looking hubs, excellent rolling, minimalist design

Weaknesses:    Poor quality control, decals could do with some work, Easton customer support is ridiculous

Bottom Line:
I picked these wheels up on sale when I was building a commuter/trail bike. They look great and are lightweight enough to be great for a commuter and solid enough for an XC bike. I've had two spokes snap in three months and I haven't even ridden off road yet! The wheels have a one year warranty, but Easton wants you to send the whole wheel back - they won't pay for postage - to replace a single spoke rather than have an authorized local shop take care of it. I commute to work on my bike, so every day I don't ride costs me $20. Easton wouldn't even consider reimbursing me for the cost of replacing the spoke at the local store. The wheels will serve their purpose but I won't be buying Easton again after this experience with their customer service.

Similar Products Used:   Sun/Ringle SUV, Fulcrum Red Metal One

Bike Setup:   Surly Ogre built as a commuter with these wheels so I can switch tires on the weekend and hit the trails, XT drivetrain, Hope Tech X2 brakes

Submitted by roatarygiant75 a Weekend Warrior from Pleasant View, TN

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2011

Strengths:    tough wheels, very little truing required

Weaknesses:    none found yet

Bottom Line:
This spring I upgraded all of the stock components on my Giant Rincon that I paid $600 for in 2007 and was hesitant to pay more for a handful of components than I did for the entire bike originally, but after a year of more riding than any of my previous years, I'm very glad I did. I've banged around on these wheels all year. The front wheel still hasn't required truing and the back has only needed it once. I don't race, and I don't downhill, but I rode this bike on some trails in Prescott, AZ this summer where there were lots of rock drops as well as my local trails in Tennessee, and I have no complaints.
In case you didn't know, you'll need presta valve tubes (and an adapter for a standard bike pump), but the presta valves are easy to deal with.

Favorite Trail:   Montgomery Bell State Park

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon hardtail

Submitted by PauloC a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2011

Strengths:    Smooth, fast, silent, lightweight.

Weaknesses:    The decals aren't great - they make the the rims look like they've been scratched.

Bottom Line:
Awesome wheels that just keep rolling. Felt a huge difference after putting these wheels on my bike - accelerates like a bat out of hell now :)

Was a bit worried about the strength of the wheels based on reviews I've read online, but so far I've had a few good knocks and no issues to report on.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Speed Discs

Submitted by Svard75 a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light weight, fast adjustable hubs, rear hub prawls hook up well and no issues.

Weaknesses:    The adjustable hubs need to be checked after every few rides because it unwinds and this could cause premature wear and failure like many previous reviewers experienced. Can run tubeless using Stan's Notubes kit.

Bottom Line:
The wheelset has proven to be somewhat reliable (I weigh 200lbs). Have had to tru and tighten the wheels once in 1 year and I ride allot (Avg 4 days/wk). Replaced the rear cassette and found that the 4 smaller cogs had worn notches into the rear hub so it was a challenge to remove them. No issues servicing the hubs and the +/- adjustment wheel needs to be closely monitored. Use the wiggle rule if it wiggles tighten the hub adjustment wheel to the + very lightly until it doesn't wiggle anymore. Then spin the wheel and test that it's not too tight and won't spin. The prawls in the hub body seem to be much more reliable than my previous Mavic SLR's but they don't look as pretty.

Favorite Trail:   Durham Forest

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride, Maxic SLR's, Alexrims 19

Bike Setup:   Titus X, RS SID, XC One Wheelset, XTR, X0, Elixir Carbon, Easton carbon cockpit, 24lb build.

Submitted by precipitevolissimevolment a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth and fast. Need I say more?

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These wheels are by far the best bang for your buck on the market at $300. With stan's no tubes (or any other tubeless kit) you can get a sweet tubeless setup without having to pay big bucks for the mostly heavier UST wheels. Unless your hand's in your daddy's pocket or your a sponsored pro, don't worry about all this UST compatible hype.

Favorite Trail:   crest trail

Purchased At:   jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   mavic, shimano

Bike Setup:   titus x with sram 2x10

Submitted by Veda a Racer from Indonesia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    The lightest for $300 wheelset. Quiet and smooth rolling hub.

Weaknesses:    Hub not as fast rolling as my Fulrcum Red Metal 3 but similar to my DT Swiss. Not tubeless capable (UST). Crappy looking decal. Just discontinued and replaced with a way cooler model.

Bottom Line:
For the price I paid for it's not great, it's awesome. At full price? Naah... Strong wheels, very light, cheap. Can't complain much. If it's UST capable I would've bought 2 more sets but alas I'm moving to using tubeless everything. If you don't care about using tubeless tires then buy them asap now!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss, Fulcrum, Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Spark 30 + Titus X

Submitted by k^2 a Cross Country Rider from Oxford

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Durable

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I waited to make this review till the end of the season. So far I put 900 miles on these wheels with no problems. I used them mostly for X-country. Sometimes I banged them against roots and rocks. I am fairly light at 150 lb. The wheels stayed true and still spin freely. At 1580 gr for $399 they are the best bang for the buck.

Favorite Trail:   Highland

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon, Sram XO, XTR Crankset, Avid Elixir CR,

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin,CA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2010

Strengths:    Very light, smooth bearings, Easton quality, all black, look cool. So far they have held up well. Light enough to climb anything. Two year warranty.

Weaknesses:    For XC racing and XC use only. Not for FR or DH. No complaints for XC use.

Bottom Line:
These Easton XC One wheels will hold up if you use them for their intended purpose. They are very light and not for FR and DH.

Favorite Trail:   XC trails

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Most hubs and wheels out there including Kings, DT 240, Hadley, Shimano, etc.

Bike Setup:   Performance Access Hardtail with mostly Shimano and Avid mechanical disc brakes (8" in front and 7" in rear).

Submitted by kleinsrule a Weekend Warrior from augusta, georgia

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fairly lightweight @ 1600 grams, Well designed, Surprisingly stiff and exceptionally strong!

Bottom Line:
Very immpressive product! Stiff, fast and smooth!!! After riding them year round for the past 2 years they havent needed anything. Still as round and true as the day i first rode them! Not sure what all the negative feedback is about but I'd buy another set of these in a heartbeat! Btw, I'm 5'8" about a 160lbs... The trails I ride are rocky, rooty singletracks w/ numerous stream crossings, steep climbs and fast [technical] downhills.

Favorite Trail:   heritage park

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossrocs, Mavic 517/Shimano XT, WTB laserdisc

Bike Setup:   '08 Giant XtC carbon hardtail, FOX RLC 100mm fork, Easton monkey lite SL low rise carbon bar, Easton MG-60 stem, Thomson Elite seatpost, San Marco Aspide ti saddle, Full Shimano 970 series XTR drivetrain, IRC Mythos II rubber, Crank Brothers 4ti pedals.

Submitted by painless a Cross Country Rider from Vilnius, Lithuania

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff and fast wheels. Hubs are very simple and reliable. Easy to service hubs if needed. Longlife wheelset. "Self-centering" hub

Weaknesses:    Heavy rim (420 g), heavy price tag for such a weight and non-tubless wheels.

Bottom Line:
It's very fast, durable and stiff wheelset. Hubs are so simple and reliable. Could be a little bit lighter and tubless. Look solid. These wheel are not very popular and you can be exceptional rider in your town. For this price I suggest to search some ligther and easer to service wheelset