Easton XC One SS Disc Wheelset

Easton XC One Disc Wheelset: Designed to inspire the most demanding XC rider, the XC One is up to 10% lighter than competing wheels ? AND as much as 36% stiffer. This translates into superior control when the trail gets gnarly.

Submitted by SpotTab a Weekend Warrior from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light, well-built XC wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Logo on rim is indeed a bit ugly.

Bottom Line:
My LaserDisc Lite rear hub blew up after 4 years of hard use, so I was looking for a replacement rear wheel. But I found this wheelset at Price Point for 34% of the MSRP of $800, a deal I could not pass up. Too soon to address durability, but they seem like very well-built wheels; they roll very smooth. Note that the rear is single-speed ONLY; you cannot put a cassette on the splined free hub. This may account for the price break. The set weighs 1585 g with no rim tape, exactly as advertised. I installed Stan's standard rim strips over the factory fabric tape, and the SB8s sealed up straight away. So far, they hold air beautifully. Bike is <22 lbs, and I ride it as a commuter every day, and ~2x per week in the dirt. I cannot imagine paying $800 for this set but, at the price I got, it seems like a steal. Time will tell.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon