Easton Haven 29er Wheelset

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

Finally, we have one more UST rim option for 29er riders -- that bumps the list to a grand total of two. Easton has introduced the Haven 29" Disc Wheelset after subjecting them to rigorous testing procedures in order to gain the coveted UST label for the rim. Is it worth it? We think so. Our experience has proven that going tubeless on 29ers has been more challenging than on 26ers -- DIY tubeless conversions are a bit trickier in the best case scenarios, and downright stupid in the worst fit cases.The rim is the real gem of the Haven 29" Disc Wheelset. It's a bit wider at 26mm outside/21mm inside, and allows for the use of tires up to 2.5" should you need more casing volume for your next gnarly alpine adventure. You can seat a UST tire on these wheels by hand and with only a floor pump -- no mess and no fuss. Creating a UST approved rim is difficult, but Easton found a great way to get around the task of eliminating the spoke penetrations in the outer wall of the rim. The straight-pull DT double-butted spokes are placed in the hub in a 3-cross pattern as usual, but the nipple is all new for this wheel. It is both internally and externally threaded. When the spokes are drawn into the nipple it is simultaneously screwing into a threaded eyelet inside the inner wall of the rim. They can be trued exactly like a wheel with standard nipples. Only the included valve stems pierce the entire cross-section of the rim.The Easton Haven 29" Wheels have Black rims with two tone logos -- the Easton logo is Silver and the Haven logo is Champagne and matches the CNC machined hubs. They run on sealed cartridge bearings and have adjustments for the bearing preload to keep them running smooth. The front hub is available in three options -- Quick Release, 15mm thru-axle, and 20mm thru-axle. The rear wheel uses an included quick release. The DT spokes are black. They have ISO standard 6-bolt mounts for the brake rotors.

Submitted by JimmyJames a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2014

Strengths:    Stiff and light.

Weaknesses:    Original design required rear-hub upgrade, which Easton provided for free.

Bottom Line:
This is a great wheel set. Stiff and light, they have performed flawlessly on my long-travel (140mm) Niner WFO for over two years now. I weigh about 180 pounds, fully geared-up and I ride these wheels hard and fast on the descents in really rocky terrain. I ride, on average, about thirty miles a week and I have never had to service these wheels. I have never had an issue with the free-hub. The free-hub has always engaged solidly and quickly, plus it is reasonably quiet when freewheeling. No loud 'BUZZ' to spoil the solitude, like CK hubs.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-mountain loop, Park City, UT

Duration Product Used:   two + years

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic AM UST wheels

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 34 fork, DHX 5.0 shock, Shimano XT drivetrain, Easton bar/stem/wheels, SRAM XO brakes

Submitted by JJ

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    Rims are awesome
Beautiful
No flex
Feel good on landings
weight

Weaknesses:    Rear hub defective
Rear hub defective
Rear hub defective

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these 2 years ago. I was disappointed when I was riding the trail, and found that my hub wasn't engaging. It just spun away. I took it to my LBS, and he told me that he's seen bunches of Easton wheels with this issue. The problem is the engagement is dependent on 2 small, thin pieces of metal for engagement when other hub builders have about 6 pieces of metal to handle the load. I ordered a rebuild kit which Easton readily supplied (they're aware they sold junk hubs) free of charge. Not happy as these are supposedly premium wheels. They're ticking timebombs. Too bad as the rims are awesome, probably the best. I'm investigating de-hubbing these and mating them to Chris Kings because I love these rims.

Submitted by millertm a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    These rims are stiffer then my stock rims off my 2012 Carve (Stans built) and they are holding up well. Still true and no broken spokes after ~500 miles. I have been down rocky trails and muddy single tracks with out any issues. I still have not tightend my rear hub and they turn well on my QR's.

Weaknesses:    I have had air loss on my rear rim (2 different tires) over a few days. I have to keep an eye on my tire pressure. Not 100% sure it is the rims fault both tires were brand new. Spec GC 2.3 and X mountain 2,2.

Bottom Line:
Stiff and light. I'm a Clyde and was not sure about a 24 spoke wheel but I am surprised on how well these wheels have held up to my weight. Wheel color is nice and while the decals are large they still look clean and sharp. Rear wheel was a bit tight when I got the set but has now relaxed and it spins great.

Bike Setup:   2012 XXL Carve, full XT setup.

Submitted by Niner-Air-9-Carbon

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet proof!

Bottom Line:
I have bashed these wheels on three single speed rigid frames, over 5000 miles and knock on wood they have never been trued or rebuilt. I had to tighten the rear hub after the first 100 miles or so and they have been maintenance free since. they still spin smooth as glass and true. I would recommend these all day long. Maybe I was lucky and got a super well built set but I will buy another set!

Submitted by andre a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    I am very happy with the overall performance, smooth, quick and responsive.

Weaknesses:    I have however broken 3 spokes in the last 5 months. Strange that I completed the rides with the broken spoke with no others breaking aswell. It is irritating though and I always have the thought of "did not finish" when I race cause I don't know if the wheels will make it. Easten has offered to rebuild the wheel so hopefully it will be better thereafter.

Bottom Line:
Beautifull and responsive but not too sure about strength.

Submitted by anthony.delorenzo

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2012

Strengths:    Good value for money, sturdy rims and spokes hold true, baller looks

Weaknesses:    Tiny bearings die quickly, hubs develop play

Bottom Line:
Awesome wheels with lousy hubs. For the price they are great, I still like them but you'll need to replace bearings way too quickly and watch for your wheels to develop play

Also not sure what a previous reviewer was talking about but I am using Shimano Ice Tech rotors on my wheels with no issues (185mm rear and 203mm front)

Submitted by Throttlemire

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2012

Strengths:    Super smooth and fast. Bling factor. Easy to go tubeless. Strong

Weaknesses:    Will NOT work with Shimano Icetech rotors!! Major Fail Easton. No instructions included to change from QR to 15mm.

Bottom Line:
I picked up a set for $650 - I don't know where MTBR gets the price of $318.75. The quality is very high and the look of the Magnesium wheels is pretty cool. I cracked a carbon rim and got these as replacements. They seem just as stiff and roll as good as DT Swiss 240 hubs. I put Shimano Icetech rotors on these hubs and they won't fit. I couldn't believe it, but the tabs on the hubs are too big and I had to buy new rotors. Total BS IMO. They came as QR for the front with a 15mm axle, but no instructions on how to change it. Another fail IMO. I had to go to Youtube to learn how to change the axle. They do roll very well. I have noticed a weird and unsettling "clunk" from time to time. I've read about freehub failures from Easton, so I'm hoping this isn't a warning sign. Overall a great wheelset if they stand the test of time and you don't have Icetech rotors or don't mind buying new rotors to use these.

Submitted by MD Burkley a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2012

Strengths:    I managed to taco several rims on recent rides and decided to go with the Havens. They are quite responsive and provide great feedback on turns, even at lower speeds. So far the have easily handled the abuse without drama or performance issues. They are quiet, precise and very smooth and appear to be well built and durable and they allowed me to shed a few grams in the transition.

Weaknesses:    Price is bit on the high side.

Bottom Line:
Overall, these have been great rims and have taken the shots easily. The balance of light and durable is great and when you factor in cost, these are a super product. No hub issues to date and none anticipated. I have yet to service them and see whats happening, but will post when I do. I like that these are not too bling as well. The blacks and mags both look sharp without screaming for attention.

Favorite Trail:   Mayhem Gulch, Cinder Cone

Purchased At:   Golden Bikes, Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Stans Arches, Crest

Bike Setup:   2010 Ellsworth Evolve

Submitted by stoats a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver Island

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    Regular spokes. Stiff yet supple.

Weaknesses:    FREE-HUB BODY FREE-HUB BODY FREE-HUB BODY !

Bottom Line:
I am disappointed that I have to write this review. I really like how these wheels feel,I like the price and the way they look. However,after the first ride the rear hub developed lots of play. OK,nothing to complain about yet. I took it apart,applied some blue loc-tite and an o ring.That held for two rides.Sent it back for warranty. The tech said it was ok. One ride later,same problem. Repeat same process...three times...and then I am told that I just have to adjust it after each ride. This is not acceptable given the cost of the set and Easton knows they are problematic. They have no solution.Furthermore,I now know of at least 5 other people with the same problem. I would have been better off with a set of Deore hubs on 719's. Beware!

Favorite Trail:   Hot Rims

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossMax,King and DT hubs on Mavic rims.

Bike Setup:   Canfield Yelli Screamy

Submitted by qbngringo a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, beautiful, light, UST

Bottom Line:
Great product, particularly if you find them on discount. I bought these on closeout. The are very stiff and seem boom proof. I installed some Slant Six's on them tubless with just a hand pump. Light weight for a 29er wheel at about 1750 grams or so. They are such great looking wheels in the magnesium color. These wheels are a work of art, they really bring your bike to life on the trail and look magnificent while doing so.

Favorite Trail:   Vortex

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Vuelta Team Issue

Bike Setup:   RIP 9

Submitted by SLC_Specialized a Weekend Warrior from Park City

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, wide rime, true UST

Weaknesses:    Potentially spoke replacement down the road

Bottom Line:
After unsuccessfully tring to make the Tallboy OEM wheel-set work tubelessly, blowing a spoke, and burping both front and rear tires, I decided to try the Havens, mostly because of the price (2010 close-outs) and the true UST rim.

I had read some negative experiences with the rear hub axle coming loose...but after 300+ miles.. they are true and have zero play on the axle.

The reduced tire roll on corners, etc, have transformed the bike, climbs great, but descends with more confidence.

Favorite Trail:   Mid-mountain, Flying Dog