Easton EC70 Trail 29" Wheelset

Easton built its new EC70 Trail 29in Wheel in the same spirit as its top-end EC90 XC and Haven carbon wheels, albeit at a much more attainable price. With the 29in wheel serving as the go-to for confidence-inspiring stability and smooth ride-quality, Easton chose to apply its proven carbon wheel...

Submitted by James Wyatt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2017

Strengths:    Very light yet strong, great feel on the trail - genuinely different feel to alloy.

Weaknesses:    M1 hub - easy to service but does need some attention if riding a lot

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these (26") on a ridiculous 300GBP deal new, 3 years ago. They are so good I recently paid the same for one new rear. I initially wanted to save them as "best" wheels not hammer them at trail centres in Wales, but even on a full suss bike with a light rider I can feel the benefits of them slightly damping out the ride, and the seem to run more quietly than alloy rims too, while being very stiff as well. A bit like carbon frames really - there are real benefits - and I have used these for a couple of years on my "trail" setup for proper off road riding, not saving them at all. Simply, they make me faster, and feel better, than any wheels I have used.

Mine came up more like 1500g than the 1340 claimed, so they don't weigh much less than my EA90's, but they do feel better on the trail. From some of the reviews I saw they are more of a trail than an XC wheel in strength, too. I love the way the rear hub can be switched so fast from one axle standard to another, and changing the bearings is easy. Mine became a tad wobbly at the rear after a couple of years of use (light use since I have 3 bikes and ride twice a week), weirdly my EA90's on the same hubs have lasted longer despite being prior to the newer hub spacer design, but those have had less proper trail use. I changed the bearings but I think all it needed was a tighten - and you can whip off the freehub and do that in seconds so unless you ride like an animal and/or in mud a lot, not an issue. I have a "snotter" hardtail with Hope hubs for claggy weather personally. Great wheels at the reduced prices they seem to go for! I use the light weight of these rims to run "proper" tyres like Hans Dampf wihile retaining almost XC-like speed.

Favorite Trail:   CYB

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA90XC

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2015

Strengths:    Light, stiff, easy tubeless conversion, instant hub engagement, no hub play, quiety free hub, come with adapters to run them on almost any frame/fork combo, look awesome...all black!!!

Weaknesses:    Price (if you are crazy enough to pay retail), not true tubelss like my old SLRs or my Haven Carbons.

Bottom Line:
Picked these up when my local shop realized they didn't have the Mavic SLs I wanted. Got a smoking deal (yes, I know they are discontinued) that brought them down to a point where carbon wheels made sense. Though they are not tubeless, the shop threw on some Stan's tape and a set of American Calssic valves (no charge) and that problem was solved. I had my tires mounted (new model for me, so some of my observations may be due to the tires), discs on, and cog/spacers (these are on my SS) all set within 45 minutes. By far the easiest tire mounting I've ever done, with absolutely no air bleed after 24 hours and 1 ride.

Took them out today on my regular 10 mile quick loop today and couldn't be happier. They made a few pings and pops when I first started rolling, but then absolutely no noise the rest of my ride. Rear hub is quiet and engages very quickly. That combined with the weight reduction and stiffness of the wheel allows them to spin up very fast. For reference, I ran Mavic Crossmax SLRs on this bike for 3 years, so it isn't like I was coming from stock heavy/flexy wheels. On the trail they tracked great and smoothed out some of the chatter, which is critical on a rigid bike.

Trails are a tiny bit tacky from the rain earlier this week, so I can't tell how fast they will really be, but all indications are that I will see a bit more speed out of these. Since the combined weight loss was exactly 1 lb, I am sure I will either get to the top of hills faster, or at least have more energy in reserve if I take the same time to climb. On a short sprint segment I managed to PR it, in spite of my previous PR being set on a geared bike. I also got my second fastest time on my loop in spite of the tacky trail, so there is definitely some speed to be had in these wheels. The fact that the difference was so noticeable coming from an already high end wheel really impressed me, and if they are half as durable as my other Easton wheels, I don't expect to have any issues with them.

I am a nearly 200 lbs agressive XC rider, and I tend to ride my gear pretty hard. The fact that these were instantly dialed in impressed me (though I've ridden other Easton wheels for years, so it didn't surprise me). I only hit one fast DH section on today's ride, but the wheels tracked very well, and I could put my front wheel exactly where I wanted it in spite of the rough terrain and nearly 40MPH peak speed. If these things hold up under my weight and riding style, they should be just fine for 90% of the riders out there, as long as you don't pretend they are Havens and ride them on the "wrong terrain". For anything short of fast park riding, I am sold.

Favorite Trail:   PQ- San Diego

Duration Product Used:   new

Similar Products Used:   Haven Carbon 26" on my trail bike, Mavic Crossmax SLRs (these replaced the SLRs), Easton EA90 XC (formerly on my trail bike), lots of Bontrager higher end mtb wheels, Easton EA90XC on my road bike (brand is consistant across disciplines, always been good to me).

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly Carbon Comp frame, Whisky 9 rigid carbon fork, Easton EC90 stem, EC70 Bars, EC90 bar ends,EC90 seat post, Selle Italia SLR saddle, EC70 Trail wheelset, Vittoria Barzo TNT 2.2 tires, XTR cranks and pedals, Wolf Tooth 44 tooth elliptical chain ring, 18 tooth cog, Paul tensioner (if I change cogs and lose my magic ratio)...18.5 lbs ready to ride.