e*thirteen TRS+ 29 Wheelset

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The e*thirteen TRS+ 29 wheelset features DT Swiss super comp spokes, Scandium rims, Black AL Prolock nipples, is tubeless ready and uses the LG1+ hub.

Submitted by buell1450 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, Good looking, promising design.

Weaknesses:    bearings, rear 12x142 axle.

Bottom Line:
Very stiff, well laced. Nice wheels. But, the bearings are cheap, ive had to replace them twice due to water and mud getting in. Ive now replaced them with skf bearings. On the rear, i had the threads strip pn the 12x142 axle. THey sent me their v2 version of the internals. All new design. Looks much better. Still, it loosened out on first ride, so i re tightened with bit more torq, but now drags a bit more then wanted. Great customer service. Great company, once bugs get reworked awesome wheels.Ride extensive moab, sw colorado on intense spider 29 comp. 190 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   scotch creek

Similar Products Used:   Stans 330 with flow. WTBs, CK wth Stans Arch.

Bike Setup:   xtr talas140

Submitted by 300lbsgorilla a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff. Light. Tubeless compatible. Stiff. Uses non-proprietary spokes should you break a few. roll pretty smooth after seating bearings. look great. Stiff. just feel right.

Weaknesses:    valve stems included suck. initial setup on bearing pre-load required. Tubeless tape not installed at factory. Had to retighten a few spokes after first few rides. Good since. bit on the pricey side but cheaper than carbon hoops.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are really nice. They are very stiff which is what they are all about in the first place. I am a big guy and can feel flex pretty easily. These do flex under me but much less than others. The overall weight is not as low as some but keep in mind the weight is more at the hub then at the rim. I know this sounds like promotional speak I can actually feel this compared to other wheels I have used that are at comparable overall weight. I used the 15mm front and the 142x12mm rear.

The hubs require a bit of setup. The rear came with the bearing pre-load too loose and I had to set it before I could use them. Process is simple enough taking only a minute or two but didn't like having to wrench on my $1K wheels before I even used them. Front hubs also require careful setup of your through axle. Tension on from the axle determines pre-load on the angular bearings. The hubs had some initial drag in them but that was cleared up after about 20 miles of riding. Guess just need to move the grease around a bit and reset the pre-load on the bearings.

Was not happy with the tubeless valves that came with the set. They didn't have removable cores and the base didn't sit right in the rim. I used a set of Stan's universal instead and they worked great in the wheel. Putting on the tubeless rim tape was easy enough but I found it odd that it was not already installed. The rims come without any rim strip in them at all but does come with tape so good enough. once I got the valve thing and the tape in place they were a flawless tubeless set up. I have continental tires and they went on without much effort seated with a floor pump and have held tight ever since. No burping or leak down at all.

My only concern with long term use is the hubs. They look great. The function great. My concern is with the carbon bonded to the aluminum. In know there can be a galvanic corrosion between carbon fiber and aluminum if not electrically insulated or kept dry. So hopefully they continue to be good into the future. Right now they are great.

The freehub I was worried about because I kept reading about how loud they were. I actually didn't find them that loud. I was expecting to be irritated but it wasn't too bad. Iit is a nice buzzing noise not a clicking.

So I have talked about the stuff I didn't like. Hard to talk about the good stuff because they just work. I don't think about what they do good because I just don't pay any attention when I ride. I just ride. I guess that is a good thing.

It was hard for me to drop the cash for this wheelset but I am glad I did. I would have expected a bit more out of the box for the price with better valve, bearings right, and tape installed but in the end that is all little stuff. It is just little details that I like to see when I spend that kind of money.

Longevity remains to be seen as I only have about 50 miles on them now. They look like they should hold up.

Favorite Trail:   the dirt ones

Purchased At:   AEBike online

Similar Products Used:   Mavic A719 on xt hubs (strong but heavy!), Bontrager mustang rims on SLX hubs (tacoed quickly), Mavic Crossmaxx29 (good but not great), SunRingle Charger Pro 29 (like a lot too but not as good as TRS+ rims), Sun Black eye rims 26er on Shimano hubs (practically bomb proof under my 250lbs but HEAVY).

Bike Setup:   Niner Rip9 with fox RLC 15mm TA and 142x12mm rear TA.