DT Swiss XM 1501 Spline 29 Wheelset

With the XM 1501 SPLINE®, stiffness, low weight and good value come together in one wheelset. The wide and light rims combined with the reliable Ratchet System® hubs are the perfect combination for aggressive trail riding.

Submitted by Cayenne_Pepa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2016

Strengths:    ~ 1703 grams
~ Very, very stiff
~ 240s internals
~ 36t star ratchet means INSTANT engagement
~ Amazing, Champion straight-pull spokes
~ 22.5mm inner width still accepts tires up to 2.5"
~ Spins up like a much lighter wheel
~ Goes tubeless with floor pump

Weaknesses:    ~ RWS skewers not included

Bottom Line:
In a world of pricey, crazy-wide carbon wheels....the DT Swiss Spline XM-1501 now has my full attention. This Wolf-in-Sheep's Clothing wheelset has XC weight and Trail durability, with stiffness and compliance only found on ENVE, Easton Derby and NOX Composites. There is a reason why DT Swiss stayed with aluminum - they remain MASTERS of extruding alloy but most importantly, they have hubs down to a science: the smoothest, most durable hubs on the market. I purchased two sets at 2016 Interbike and is amazed at how much they behave like carbon.

Favorite Trail:   Idyllwild Hub

Purchased At:   Bro Deal

Similar Products Used:   ~ Specialized Roval Traverse 29
~ Stans ZTR Flow EX
~ Industry Nine Torch Trail
~ American Classic Wide Lightning 29
~ Velocity Blunt 35
~ Mavic Crossmax XL Pro

Bike Setup:   Trek Superfly test bench - XX1, KS-LEV, carbon everything imaginable

Submitted by max_lombardy

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2015

Strengths:    Strong, light, great hubs, tough rims, fairly wide rim, interchangeable hub caps, standard spokes.

Weaknesses:    28 spokes. What's that about? Just put 4 more in there. Hubs look kinda cheap.

Bottom Line:
These replaced a set of Roval Carbons I broke on my 29er. They're not as light and snappy as the Rovals were, but I wanted a set I could ride hard and not worry about. These have delivered! Much stiffer overall than the Roval C's and more confidence inspiring. On my 29er, the Rovals always made a lot of noise as the spokes loaded and released tension under heavy braking and cornering that was a little disconcerting. I could feel them flex at times too, and I'm only 150lbs. I do ride hard though, to be fair. Finally I cracked one of the rims and jumped to the 1501s. Very happy overall, they've taken abuse and have held up admirably. Still true, no dings in the rims despite having taken plenty of hits through rock gardens. Plus the shot-peened anodizing on the rims is tough as hell.

I had plans to build up a Chinese carbon set on DT 180s I have sitting here but these are pretty sweet, they have me second guessing whether it's worth it.