DT Swiss Onyx XC Disc Wheelset

3.25/5 (4 Reviews)
Weight : 1877 grams MSRP : $249.99

Perfect for aggressive riders!These offer a 20mmThroughaxle front hub (rear is standard QR), a perfect matchToTodays 20mm long-travel forks. Both front and rear are 6 bolt IS disc compatible and useThe proven DT EX5.1d disc-specific rim. Sold individually - order both a front and a rear if you need wheels for a complete bike Disc-only - not compatible with rim brakes Laced 32h / 3x with Black DT stainless spokes DT Onyx is a high-quality, sealed cartridge bearing hub

Submitted by DLH a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Strengths:    Reasonably light -- strong -- reliable -- bearings can be replaced without difficulty when necessary.

Weaknesses:    For the price point and intended use level NONE!

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable -- the dude below takes an endo and blames the wheelset for getting bent! These are reliable wheels - reasonably light -- strong -- and more than worth the money you will spend to acquire them. Be forwarned however, it you take a major crash you may actually damage them... LOL! What a clown.

Anyone looking for a reliable wheelset should consider this product. They aren't bullet proof, but they are about as close as you will get with something that is held together by spokes.

Similar Products Used:   Tons of wheelsets over the last 2 decades

Submitted by Darren a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, reasonably light, sealed bearing hubs.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
The other 2 reviews claim their wheels were weak. I never had this problem. 2 weeks in Colorado riding some rim hungry trails at Winterpark and Keystone they performed perfectly. They stood up much better than I expected from XC rims. Would highly recommend them; however will probably fit something a little heavier for the ALPS this year.

Purchased At:   Mojo Cycles Denver

Bike Setup:   Blur LT

Submitted by Mark Sauser a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Very weak!

Bottom Line:
The second time i rode with these wheels i hit a small bump within 100 ft of the trailhead and bent the rim completely over. The front wheel looks like a pretzel and i've noticed that the rear wheel's trueness is extremely compromised. The bike is only two weeks old and now i am stuck with the task of trying to get the bike shop to replace it. I would prefer to switch them out with something more reliable as i do not trust them.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by danny fortunato a Cross Country Rider from seattle wa

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2005

Strengths:    It's hard to say, seeing that I only rode this bike/wheelset for only an hour and a half long, twelve mile loop

Weaknesses:    This is a weak rim

Bottom Line:
I bought a brand new S.C. Blur, and took it out to break it's cherry, instead I broke the back rim; well, not literally, but I did bend the back rim bad enough to have my LBS repair guy say, "man, I don't think you want me to say this, but I think you need to buy a new rim." WTF???
I took the bike up for a 12 mile run, 3 miles up, 9 down, the only thing I could imagine that could have screwed up the back rim was taking an endo over the handlebars, but these rims should be able to handle a spill or two, or f#ck@ng 300! I'm very dissatisfied. Fortunately, the bikeshop I originally purchased the bike from, "The Downhill Zone", is taking care of me for free, which rawks, but it sucks for them because they have to do all the labor. Bottom line this rim is weak, but I'm giving a little and giving DT Swiss a break in case the bike shop somehow messed up and didn't lace up my wheels properly, I can't imagine all of their rims being this weak if they want to stay in business.

Favorite Trail:   tapeworm

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   I have a 98 Specialized Hardrock which I have beat up, like a red-headed stepchild and have never had any wheel problems.

Bike Setup:   Blur XT, look eggbeaters, king headset