Dave's Wheels Speed Dream Wheelset

4.94/5 (159 Reviews)

Speed Dream Wheel Set

Submitted by Carlos a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2014

Strengths:    Customer/Client Service
Price
Build Quality

Bottom Line:
Dave is quick to answer the phone or return your phone call if he is busy. He discusses what you want/need and builds an awesome wheel set. I ended up with an I9 hub laced to Stans Crest with Sapim Laser spokes. These things are super light, super tough, engage quick, and true. Price is excellent for a hand build wheel set and not much more for rim tape, valve and shipping. Any new wheelset I want/need will come from Dave!

Purchased At:   http://speeddream.co

Bike Setup:   Salsa El Mariachi SS

Submitted by JIMSLICK

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2013

Strengths:    LIGHT, GREAT ENGAGEMENT ON THE I-9 HUBS HE RECOMMENDED,SUPER GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE,

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
THIS GUY HAS THE BEST RATING FOR A REASON.

Submitted by SDH

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2013

Strengths:    Knowledge, Customer Service, Value, Quick Turnaround, Trustworthy, Professional

Bottom Line:
Ordered a set of I9's laced to Arch Exs from Dave. Dave's prices are very competitive compared to the research I did on the various builders here in the US. Dave's prices were even less expensive for materials than going the DIY route based on the research I did. The entire process took a week (sent Dave received my check on Friday and my wheels were delivered on the following Friday). Dave is extremely knowledgeable in all facets of his profession. I won't go into detail; you just need to speak to him yourself to understand. Dave's listens to his clients inputs and will advise them on the set-up. Excellent customer service too. Very responsive. It's hard to find that this day and age. At any rate, the overall process went very smoothly and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Dave to anyone in the market to build new wheels.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 26"

Submitted by thoe99

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2013

Strengths:    Very knowledgeable and experienced
Not pushy on the sales side

Bottom Line:
Let me begin by saying that I did not buy a wheelset from Dave. I called Dave up after chasing down a loud creaking noise that developed in my bike for over a year and a half. During that time, bike shops could not resolve it, even after rebuilding and replacing a number of items. By the time they recommended I replace the wheelsets, I had to call around to see what the deal was. Feeling dejected and ready to throw in the towel, I braced myself to burn some serious money before I ran into Dave's website through this site.

I was initially wanting to hear his recommendation on a wheel build, because if I had to buy a new one, I might as well get it built solidly. After giving him the run-down on my story, he didn't even try to sell me a wheelset. He had such confidence and knowledge in the one I was running (Stans Crest 29er with stock hubs), that he urged me to fix it myself. Low and behold, I did what he prescribed, and it worked! Don't ask me how someone over the phone could fix my problems, while three different bike shops who had my bike in hand couldn't :)

Thanks Dave!

Submitted by Earnest

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Great customer service; always answered the phone when I called. Helped me walk through the process of picking my wheels. Actually took me about two months before I pulled the trigger on the order. Wheels are in great shape and durable. Waaaaaaaay better than the stocked wheels that came on my 29er. He's very knowledgeable about wheels. I would highly recommend him and has good price.

Bottom Line:
I ordered from Dave a set of 29er Flow EX rims set up for tubeless. Font hub is a Pro 2 EVO and the back hub is DT SWISS 350. I went with different hub configuration in front because the DT SWISS 350 front hub can't be upgraded to 20mm, if i ever desire to do so from the QR. Went with DT350 since cheaper than DT240 with same inner parts. Not too concerned about weight difference between the DT240 and DT350. Dave was a big help in helping me think through the wheel configuration. Purchased the wheels back in June 2013 and have been riding them hard since, and they are remaining true. Run tubeless with no problems. Will continue to see how they hold up.

Submitted by crankarms

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Good weight, well built, great look. The man knows his wheels

Weaknesses:    None that I can find

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a set of Arch Ex rims with Chris King hubs for about 15 months now. Dave and I probably spoke 3 or 4 times before we decided on this setup. Dave was always patient and took the time to answer all my questions.
Originally we were going with Hadley Hubs but had to rethink things as Hadley seemed to be having some production problems. Dave did not push the more expense CK hub and gave me options with different price points.
I ride in Nova Scotia on the east coast of Canada where it is very rocky, rooty and often wet. I'm also not the most experienced rider in the world so I'm sure my (ride) line-choices have often been less than optimal and more punishing then a more experienced rider might choose. Through it all the wheels have held up wonderfully, no issues what-so-ever.
In fact, when I recently took the wheels in for truing, after a brief assessment the tech handed the wheels right back to me and said the wheels are spectacular and it would be a waste of money to try and do any better.

Very happy with my choice!

Submitted by C Dewar a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2013

Strengths:    Customer service, attention to details, weight, perceived strength and function - NOTE I have not ridden these wheels yet

Weaknesses:    Will post again once tested thoroughly.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to post a quick review pre-testing these wheels to state the excellent customer service I received from daves wheels. There was a problem with my payment (my money order was lost by Canada Post or USPS) and tight timelines for me to pick up these wheels in the USA while I was visiting on vacation. Dave made some excellent accomodations due to my predicament and rush shipped the wheels to me so I would be able to pick them up on time. He was very pleasant to deal with as well.

I ordered hope hubs laced to stand rims - lightweight in the front and midweight in the back with red nipples and black everything else. They look great and seem to be well built, despite not having the chance to test them yet. They are also quite light and Daves technique of mixing the spoke patterns seemed to be a valuable service that was worth a few extra dollars.

I will be sure to post again once I have ridden them several times.

Bike Setup:   Ti 29er

Submitted by RebelRoundeye

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2012

Strengths:    Can't beat the price, craftsmanship, and turnaround time for these wheels. Personalized attention to detail for your unique weight and ride style.

Weaknesses:    Dave's Speed Dream decals not as good looking as OEM decals.

Bottom Line:
I called Dave up and he talked me through my purchase by determining my ride style and weight. We decided on Stan's ZTR Crest 29er rims with Chris King hubs for my carbon HT. The turnaround time was less than a week. Wheels were shipped next day and came professionally packed. I ordered the wrong axle with my front hub and he had the correct one in the mail right away. Kind of wish I could go ride with this dude- he's very personable and knows his stuff. Just finished my first season on these wheels and they are still true. Thanks Dave!

Submitted by Odonten86 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Reliability,fastrollers ,beautiful craftmanship

Weaknesses:    None at All period!

Bottom Line:
Called Dave from Sweden ón my summerholliday 2008 I am a Danish guy .Dave and I discussed the setup, caused CK hibs ZTR 355 my weight is 205 Dave was sure that these wedels World dó the job. And yes man they are GREAT incredibly streng and Nice.Paid him from Denmark and I travelled to New York a Monte latter, and the wheelset was at my hotel A's promised!! Great service from the man himself.
Everything is still Great !

Favorite Trail:   Moens Klint

Duration Product Used:   4years

Purchased At:   Direct via phone

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager race lite

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 9 ex Thomson x4stem Thomson elite seatpost Easton cnc70 Carbon hi riser handlbar SRAM XO front/Rear Fizik Gobi saddle Chris King BB and Headset Rotor 3D Crankset 40/27 Juciy Carbon Hydraulic brakes Continental Race King 2.0 Rear Maxiis Crossmax 2.1 front ust Stans no tube fluid

Submitted by Raymond a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Stays true

Bottom Line:
I've had this wheelset since 2006. I never had to true it once. They're still going strong after all these years. Call him, and you won't be disappointed. Also, they are much cheaper than the factory or boutique wheels out there, but built so much better.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Motolite, King hubs, Bontrager rims.

Submitted by rocketron a Cross Country Rider from napa,ca

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2011

Strengths:    light and strong, price was right, service if I need it will be there but I doubt if I ever well. Great guy, very smart, knows everything about wheels and how to build them. Easy to get ahold of, always within 24 hrs or less.

Bottom Line:
Great guy? great service? You can't go wrong with him. We spent 1 hr on the phone and then another half hr. He built the wheelset to my weight,bike,riding style and they are a great set of wheels....I'm going to have him build another set for my other bike. Everything the 148 reviews that were written are very true....Everyone who wants a great set of wheels and light and strong should buy Dream Works wheelsets from Dave Thomas....trust me you won't go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   China camp the forbidden trail

Purchased At:   Dave Thomas' plce th

Similar Products Used:   I had him build a set of stans' crest wheels with stans ztr hubs

Bike Setup:   santa cruz blur lt carbon, xtr build kit with fox 140 rlc fit f32, avid xx brakes. bike weighs 24.5 lbs. with pedals

Submitted by Jekylljt a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, durable, reliable. The King hubs are bullet proof and look great too!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have had these for about 4 years now and *I think* the rear has been trued once. They are the CK hub/Velocity Aeroheat combo. I originally had them on a Kona Dawg Primo and moved them over to the Tracer when I aquired it. I've hit some stuff pretty hard and gone off about 4' drops, but I'm not a hucker. The wheels have been bomb proof and Dave did a great job of matching them up to my riding. Weight is respectable at 1820g for the pair. Now on the Tracer, my only problem is that I'm over-riding the tire/tubes and am getting rear pinch flats.

Favorite Trail:   Funner!

Purchased At:   Daves Speed Dream

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317's & Cannondale Coda junk

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer - TALAS, XT/XTR mix, Gravity Dropper, and some FSA bits

Submitted by Mudpimp a Cross Country Rider from New York , NY

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, Strong

Bottom Line:
Dave has built wheelsets for all of my rigs and they are by far the best money spent on any wheelsets I've purchased anywhere. I'm still riding a wheelset that is 4 years old, that has run the 24hrs of Moab, Shenendoah 101, Vermont 50, SSUSA. my local race series and more and are still running strong. These are my everyday wheelsets. They are light as you can get without going with carbon rims. They've all weighed in at 1600grams or less, Thats for 29ers. The feel and windup of a handmade wheel made by the best is something to be felt. Tell him how you ride and out it in Dave's hands

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Purchased At:   Dave's Speedream

Bike Setup:   29er wheelset- DT Swiss 240 hubs, Stans Crest and ZTR355 rims - Seven SS 29er, Independent Fabrication Deluxe, 1x10, Specialized Epic 29er

Submitted by eneff a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara, CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, light, can run 24 psi up front and 29 in back.

Bottom Line:
Crest rims, DT Swiss rear hub, ZTR front hub.

Dave is great to work with. Not only did I get a great set of wheels, but I also got an education.

Submitted by Steve Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Incline Village, NV

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Dealing with Dave is a pleasure. The wheels he builds are the most reliable component of your bike, and custom built to your specs and a lower price than a factory wheel. After two years of hard riding and racing, the wheels are still true.

Bottom Line:
If you need a new wheel set, or simply want to upgrade your ride, call Dave. You won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Dave's Dreamwheels

Similar Products Used:   Mavics. My experience with them matches the bad reviews everyone else has.

Bike Setup:   Intense Spider, Fox RLC100, Shimano XTR.

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels

Small world we live in... Myself and a few new riding friends are riding around in Horse Gulch on our first day of riding in Durango, CO. We are chatting it up on the trail with a guy while taking a break, when I asked him about my weight, my hard tail 29'er and should I go with some Stans Arches o ... Read More »

Dave's Speed Dream Road Wheels(?)

I have a set of his mountain wheels which I love, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience/feedback on his road wheels... anyone...?Read More »

Dave's Speed Dream Wheels?????

I know this probably has been talked about many times, but...... Is his wheels all they are cracked up to be? Better than an off-the-shelf set of Mavic Crossmax SL's? Thanks much! Currently seeking a new wheelset for aggressive XC for a Clydesdale.Read More »