Crank Brothers Iodine AM Wheels Wheelset

3.15/5 (33 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Iodine Disc Wheelset: Durable All Mountain and Freeride wheelset (rim spine left intact for added strength). Welded, anodized 6061-T6 aluminum rim with unique "Y" cross-section.

Submitted by Zac a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2013

Strengths:    None. Worst wheels ever made

Weaknesses:    NOT FOR OFFROAD USE

Should come with this label ^

Once you bend it, time for a new wheels. ABSOLUTE SH*T. Complete waste of money.

If you think these wheels, you are obviously a piss weak rider. Anyone over 50kg who actually rides hard and aggressive , don't even bother.

Only thing I'd bolt these wheels on is my Grandmas commuter bike.

Bottom Line:
Rip off. Thought they were a STUPID design, got some for wholesale at work.

Worst wheels ever made, designed to be disposable so you have to buy a whole new wheels, complete and utter wank.

I HATE THESE WHEELS

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and rough

Purchased At:   Work

Similar Products Used:   E13 TRS, Dt Swiss fr 500

Bike Setup:   Intense tracer, Fox 36

Submitted by R J Biker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2013

Strengths:    lightweight, stiffness, smooth ride, they look good.

Weaknesses:    bad grease inside the bearings.

Bottom Line:
After fit them on my bike, my first ride was very smooth and nice on a not nice at all track, I have been riding since 6 months and everything was good until I jumped and crashed my front wheel on a concret bridge defence. The 203mm disc broke the spokes and the entire wheel was totally destroyed. I had several suppositions about it but now think that there's no way that any other wheel could survive to a crash like that one. I have tried several times unsuccessful to get the rim on it's original shape but they are too stiff to get unfold them with your own hands, or even jumping on it.. so believe me when i say they are very strong wheels,. I bought a new front wheel and I am ready to ride.!

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   dt swiss custom wheels.

Bike Setup:   Reign x 2013.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2013

Strengths:    Wheelset is incredible. I agree with why are there so many negative reviews out there. I dont get it. These wheels have more bling than any other wheelset and are very LOUD. I cant tell you how many deer/bears I scare away. I've done numerous 24 hour solo races with ZERO issues. I ride east coast rocks, roots and everything else Mother Nature can throw at me. ZERO issues. Every single time I bring my bike into my lbs the 1st thing everyone notices are the wheels. Excellent product. Stiff, light and fast. Period.

Weaknesses:    Cost. You get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
See above. Excellent product

Favorite Trail:   All

Duration Product Used:   4 years

Purchased At:   Cant say

Similar Products Used:   Mavic SL

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco

Submitted by Kayton a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    Look cool. That is all

Weaknesses:    They are weak aluminum that dents easily. The spokes are proprietary and no bike shop caries them usually, making them difficult to replace.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding ese for almost a year and have dents on dents and scrapes. Final blow is a broken spoke. If you are looking at buying these keep looking, Crak bros stuff is weak garbage.

Submitted by dniott a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    how they look and sound.

Weaknesses:    every thing about them worst wheels ever POS!!!!!!!!!!! my huffy had better wheels on it back in 1990.

Bottom Line:
If you want to have fun and not walk your bike back 12 miles because your REAR HUB exploded,do not get this wheel set. i have had to send them back to cb 4 times !!!!! with a replacement rear rim witch i paid $130 ,and the last time i talk to them at cb i got so much attitude that i had to say sorry that the rear hub broke for the to do anything about it.Most of all the wheels had problems with in 3 early season rides WTF!

Favorite Trail:   buro trail breckenridge co

Duration Product Used:   2 years and i wish i had not

Similar Products Used:   mavic 819

Bike Setup:   trek slash9

Submitted by nay-nay a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, stay true, styling, easy to go tubeless, front can mount to any fork with correct adapters.

Weaknesses:    None that I have encourtered. I had Crank Brothers send me a new hub since mine was the original design. But I am still running the original with no problems as of yet, going into the 3rd season.

Bottom Line:
First of all, be aware that the SMALLEST tire you can run on these rims is a 2.3. I can only assume that the riders who flat spotted their rims ran a smaller tire then required. You need more volume to run lower pressure, so I have had 2.4's front and rear. I run them at about 28 psi, which works great for my local singletrack. I have tried lower psi but I get slower. If you want to run smaller tires then you need to get the Cobalts.
I have had no issues with the hub, but I do not ride in muddy conditions and I tend to tear my bike down frequently. I use Dumond Tech Freehub Oil to keep it running nice and smooth. The heavy grease is not recommened in these hubs. The cassette does come off rather easily, which can make things a pain as you will need to remove the cassete to reinstall the hub and insure the sealing o-ring is installed correctly. Avoiding this step will lead to mud, dirt and whatever other grime you ride in geting into your hub and wreaking havoc. Also, I use a torque wrench when installing the cassette nut to ensure that I get it to the specified torque. You'd be surprised how 40 n.m. REALLY feels. "Good-n-tight" is not recommended for this step, precision is key. It's a $950 wheelset, treat it like one. It's like buying an Audi and bringing it to a Jiffy Lube tech for repair/maintenance, then being upset when your car is damaged due to improper techniques. The hub likes SRAM cassettes, I have been using the PG-970 with no clearence issues.
I truly think this is a great wheelset, it improved my ride leaps and bounds. They are very smooth and fast rollers, they seem to pick up speed when you have the right tires on them. The hub noise is a bit loud, I personally like it. It's a good warning for other users of the trails and the horses hear me coming, so I don't spook them. As with anything, what you get out of these wheels is what you put into them.

Favorite Trail:   Brown County Trails

Duration Product Used:   2 + years

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Just the stock set that come on the bike

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500 WSD frame, Fox Float RLC 80MM, XT Cranks, Saint RD, XT FD, Easton Monkeybars, ODI Lock-On, Avid Speed Dial Ultimate Levers, BB7 Discs, X-Fusion HiLo, Crank Bros 50/50 Conti 2.4 X-King front and 2.4 Mountain King rear

Submitted by bohns1

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2013

Strengths:    Looks, stiffness, durability, rim width, tough..

Weaknesses:    expensive.............

Bottom Line:
Not sure why these wheels get so much hate........i've held off on my review until i got a few seasons in on these bad boys....I can honestly say ever since they rectified free hub issues the wheels are nothing short of stellar.....i've been on mine for 2.5 seasons with tons of abuse....Don't understand how some guys are flat spotting these...Must be serious clydesdales because i'm 200 with gear and i beat the crap out of these with no issues........Now the Kronolog !!!! Ha thats a different story.......Anyways!!!!!! these wheels are siackkkk!!!! despite what the haters say.......!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   canmore, brag creek

Bike Setup:   2011 blur ltc, iodine wheels, ks lev dropper, xt cranks, xo rear derail, xo shifting and breaks......iodine 3 stem, iodine carbon bars 740mm.......

Submitted by clydecrash a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2012

Strengths:    Very stiff, fairly light, seem strong, quick engagement, look good.

Weaknesses:    A freehub had to be replaced. Rear hub parts come apart easily.

Bottom Line:
I have two sets that use for rough trail riding. I liked the first set so much, that I bought the second. Seem to work fine. Very stiff (more stiff than any hand-built wheel), so much so that I do not like them on a hardtail. Had RD hanger break on me, which sent my RD into a spoke. Even though the spoke was bent, straightened and tensioned--still fine. I read about the freehubs, and one was going out on me, which CB replaced quickly (I check my all my equipment before there are problems). The other wheel has the "updated" hub, so I hope that is the end of it. Rear hub parts come apart easily (e.g., easy to pull off the cassette with the freehub). Overall, good set of wheels and I like the looks. Not certain I would use them for "freeride" though. They do not seem tough enough for that.

Favorite Trail:   Tucson Mountains

Duration Product Used:   1-2 years

Purchased At:   Ebay/Chainlove

Similar Products Used:   Handbuilts with Mavic/King/Hadley; XTR Trail

Bike Setup:   Varies. One set on a Blur LTc.

Submitted by Al Mendez

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2012

Strengths:    None known

Weaknesses:    Hoops WAY too soft and dent too easily on none technical terrain

Bottom Line:
Iodine wheelset only ridden with UST tires at 32+ lbs and somehow the rims rolled over in several places within a month. Some loser named Tim Young at Crank Brothers told me that it was due to rider error. Rider error, GMAFB!!!!! I am not an agressive rider at all and it occured on a non technical trail. It is due to poor design and craftsmanship sir. I will never purchase another CB product.
I have been riding ZTR Flows laced to Hadley Hubs without issue since tossing the pathetic one month old dented Iodines in the back of my garage.

Submitted by Wilderness Rider a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    They look cool.

Weaknesses:    axle and hub.

Bottom Line:
First ride the rear hub broke in 1/2 and left me stranded 10 miles from a road. I'm mailing mine back for a full refund today. They were not even worth the $500 I paid on Chinlove.com. Very disappointed in how they performed on my first ride.

Purchased At:   chainlove

Bike Setup:   carbon nomad

Submitted by Boulder Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, light, stiff, bling

Weaknesses:    hub body comes out too easy, some poor design flaws. price

Bottom Line:
I got these brand new from someone off craigslist for a great price. super sexy, i have the gold and black ones. I got a brand new xt cassette installed professionally and first ride out, bam, stripped most of the gears on the hub body. Took it back to the shop and another more knowledgeable mechanic told me these wheels are picky with cassettes, showed me how the xt cassette has these little black nubs on the back which cause it to interfere with the spokes and doesnt allow it to get deep enough on the hub. The previous mechanic probably just used a spacer to bring it away from the spokes but cause poor alignment. Thanks Bro, cool. switched the xt for a sram and they replaced everything that was broken and havent had a problem with it since. I ride these wheels pretty hard at the bike park/dirt jumps, xc/am type trails and still perfectly true after 2 years and running fine. I think Im gonna switch the front from 9mm QR on my FS AM bike to 20mm and run them on my new dirt jumping frame. since i have the adapter I can just switch them over when i want. Cool wheels, i get lots of looks and compliments and they seem to ride great too. Someone else said they flat spotted theirs while running like 28psi...i havent had a problem, but then im usually running close to 50psi...less than 45 feels like im moving slower than dirt.

Submitted by brettond a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2012

Strengths:    Interesting looks and design

Weaknesses:    Rear hub, rim strength.

Bottom Line:
Been running these about 1 year. Loved them at first, but rear hub crapped out about 4 months into last season. I'm no expert in hub construction but seemed like a poor design where return springs got hung up and did not spring back out to re-engage. Will give crank bros credit for shipping me out replacement hub parts quickly that could be easily fitted into the hub. But did not like how easily the rear hub seemed to come apart....not sure if this is normal or just mine. Occasionally hub would come apart when I had the wheel out of the frame, like if I was replacing a rotor or something. Seemed to come apart way to easily. Final straw came 2 weeks ago when I dented the rim pretty badly. Used a rotor truing fork to pull if back some, but it can never be run tubeless again. Not worth the $600 I paid on clearance, never mind the $900+ MSRP.

Purchased At:   Online - forgot who

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth epiphany, RS pike, formula R1's, need new wheelset.

Submitted by Guesswho117 a All Mountain Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2012

Strengths:    Looks cool

Weaknesses:    Rim dents easily, Replacement spokes are impossible to find in any local shop.

Bottom Line:
GARBAGE! ABSOLUTE GARBAGE! These rims dent so easily. 6 dents pulled out thanks to the rimrench. Broke a spoke last year at Downieville and could not find a replacement at any local bike shop in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been mountain biking for over 15 years and have never dented a rim or broken a spoke. My buddy had the same problem with the dents on his wheelset also. Apparently you need to run super high pressure in them to prevent dents. Kinda defeats the purpose of going tubeless. I would not recommend these crappy wheels to anyone unless your plan is just to cruise around to look pretty.

Purchased At:   Came with the bike