Crank Brothers Cobalt XC Wheels Wheelset

3.23/5 (43 Reviews)
Weight : 1540g MSRP : $383.99

Cobalt blue Aluminium 6061-6t wheels with included front/rear split qr included. Disc brake compatible with sealed cartridge bearings. Stylish top of the line wheels for an awesome price.

Submitted by neilius a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2013

Strengths:    Looks good, fully tubeless & no need for rim tape. Spokes are easy to replace without having to remove tyre, rotor or cassette.

Weaknesses:    Spokes keep breaking. Replacement spokes are expensive. Rim tab (which connects to spoke) completely tore out. Doesn't work too well after one spoke breaks.

Bottom Line:
I love the look of these wheels, but the spokes have let me down too many times.

I do a lot of riding. Perhaps it's because there aren't as many spokes as a normal wheel, but these wheels seem to be a magnet for sticks. I've lost count of the number of times I've broken spokes on the rear wheel. Once the spoke even ripped out of the rim tab without breaking.

On a 32 spoke wheel, if you break one spoke you should still be ok to ride as there are plenty more spokes to take the strain, but on this 24 spoke wheel, once you break a single spoke the wheel goes out of true, and it places too much tension on the other spokes. You have to replace broken spokes right away or you'll end up breaking even more spokes due to increased tension.

This means you must carry spare spokes. And replacement spokes are very expensive.

I like the envious looks I get from people who look at the wheels on my bike - it looks cool.

BUT these wheels don't have the reliability I need.

Favorite Trail:   Any XC

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Similar Products Used:   Giant PXC-1

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 29-0

Submitted by citiznkain

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, tubeless ready. Love the dual QR skewers

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
I built these up, added a new cassette, rotors and chain. I have not had any kind of an issue with these. I had some questions (setup related, not quality related) and CB was able to help without having to wait for ever for a reply.

Submitted by Terry

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2013

Strengths:    look sick, nice quick release

Weaknesses:    flimsy, bend easy, a joke to true up

Bottom Line:
I rode these wheel set 1 season before the rear wheel was so bent it needed to be replaced. I sent it back to C/B and the technician called with a quote of $150, after how much I spent for the wheel set and the inconvenience I was not spending another penny, so much for the warranty. I purchased some Mavic 819's w/ Hope hubs and have not had a problem since. I definitely don’t recommend this wheels set for cross country riding, brittle.

Submitted by Kashi a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Tough for the weight, look nice, easy to set up tubeless, and are fairly light.

Weaknesses:    Original rear hub

Bottom Line:
I have had these wheels for the past year and have used them for aggressive XC and trail rides. Crank bros replaced the rear hub body and I have had zero issues since. I have burped a few tires off on rocky descends, but otherwise they have preformed really well. I would recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a nice set of trail/XC wheels.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, sunn, bontrager, dt swiss, and azonic

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel 9.8

Submitted by steveo a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    look snazzy. light.

Weaknesses:    after less than one year, I hopped off a small embankement (1 ft) to find the front wheel was completely farked.
the guy at the bike shop (Velofix - they are awesome) said that he has heaps of problems / complaints / returns and basically they are an overengineered unreliable part. I would have to agree!

Bottom Line:
good to look at, unreliable and overpriced and soon no-one will want them. If Paris Hilton were a bike wheel this would be it.

Favorite Trail:   Majura Pines

Similar Products Used:   wheels of 26 27 and 700c varieties

Bike Setup:   custom build, hardtail carbon frame with RockShox Reba 29 on the front.

Submitted by mbell a Cross Country Rider from Poway, Ca

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2011

Strengths:    Style and function all in one.

Weaknesses:    I have a hard time regulating myself on my XC bike... I have a tendency to forget that I'm not on my DH bike, and the wheels are the first thing to pay for it. I had a hard time keeping them true. I'm in the 200lb range and an aggressive rider, so I really can't blame the wheels.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels if you have self control.

Favorite Trail:   Meadowbrook

Similar Products Used:   CB Iodine to replace these.

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance

Submitted by Micko a Racer from ACT

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, Cheap

Weaknesses:    Hub problems, dentable alloy rim

Bottom Line:
Good quality considering the price. easy to dent as with most light rims, esp DT swiss. They look the part!

Favorite Trail:   Hammer Head

Purchased At:   The Bike Shed Mortda

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT, XTR, DT Swiss XR1450

Bike Setup:   Merida 96 3000D, 2011

Submitted by donfilmore25 a Cross Country Rider from Mississippi

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, easy to service/maintain, UST tires mount and seal easily

Weaknesses:    Lots of seal drag on the hub bearings. Some cassettes rub against the rear hub flange (My 9 speed XT does); I contacted CB and asked about this and they are aware of this, they also told me to use the shim rings included to mitigate this issue; however, for a $950 retail set of wheels this is just not acceptable. My wheels came with the old hub design, CB was very prompt in sending me a new re-designed replacement hub body.

Bottom Line:
This wheels have been good to me and overall have performed the task intended. In hind sight, I regret changing my Crossmax's for these set. They have potential to be great wheels, but have some issues to be addressed first.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeland Trails

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax XT

Bike Setup:   08 Specialized Epic Marathon

Submitted by Veysterman a Racer from United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    Look the dogs nutts! Super Stiff, Responsive and light!

Weaknesses:    None what so ever!

Bottom Line:
I was also concerned about the bad reviews, but heard that the freehub had been re-designed, I am told that the hubs are now made by Formula. I've hammered them in loads of races and training rides without any problems, I can only assume that this is because I have the new version Cobalt XC's. I highly recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   Chick Sands

Similar Products Used:   Hope hoops

Bike Setup:   Mojo SL (soon to be SL-R) XTR, Crank Brother Cobalt 3 Seat Pin, Stem

Submitted by lucianoas a Weekend Warrior from Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2011

Strengths:    strong, stiff, light, axle conversible

Weaknesses:    bad surprise on the trail = freehub problem (threads wear-out)

Bottom Line:
Disapointed with the quality of this product and now worried about using the wheelset and getting a bad surprise during a ride...

In general Crank Bros gave me a good impression as I use their pedals and never had problems.

Favorite Trail:   rattle snake

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Team SL, Fox 32, Magura Marta, Sram X0

Submitted by onza a Racer from Santa Clarita,CA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, light, zero flex, stay true

Weaknesses:    none yet...no not even with the free hub!

Bottom Line:
I dig these wheels! I have had no problems at all, stay true (but if/when you need to these wheels are easy), track unreal with no flex...just point and go! Heard about earlier problems with the free hub but mine and my buddies (he's had his for over a year) have had not one problem. BTW, they look awesome!!

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax slr, American Classic

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X, XTR, Fox

Submitted by endocrash a Cross Country Rider from Alameda, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2011

Strengths:    Pretty, cool design, good pickup

Weaknesses:    Form over function - early problems with the free hub assembly (which they redesigned in 2009 - though my buddy has a new pair of cobalts and it failed anyways), dents way too easily, Crank Brothers slow in agreeing to fix stuff (according to my LBS who has to deal with them)

Bottom Line:
Looks pretty, but stick with something tried and true... at least for now. These wheels are still new to market and maybe will get better in time

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Similar Products Used:   Mavic CrossMax

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X

Submitted by acidicboy a Cross Country Rider from all around

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight, accelerates like a demon

Weaknesses:    I'll give you one guess

Bottom Line:
thought the hub problem was just a small percentage of cobalt owners when I bought it. then the hub had to be fixed twice in the past 5 months. the shop was kind enough to service and replace the cassette body for free, but I don't want to be in a situation where I'm in a trail again and the cobalts fail again.

will replace this soon.