Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Wheelset

3.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 26" Disc Wheelset: Unique double-anodized black rim with red center line, plus red nipples and pins. 19mm ID (23.6mm OD) welded, 6061-T6 aluminum rim with machined "Y" ribbed cross-section. 1.6 spokes

Submitted by ajax

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    light weight, look unique and are easy to set up tubeless

Weaknesses:    the rear hub was redesigned several years ago and is a non-issue now

Bottom Line:
I have run these wheels since 2008, ran thousands of miles and currently have 4 sets on 4 bikes (3 26" and 1 29er). The oldest wheel set was refitted with a new hub by Crank Brothers and the newest set, a 29" Cobalt 3 is my favorite. A stick broke a spoke in 2011 and though the wheel was out of true I still rode it back.

Submitted by eggy

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    Design. My Storck Rebel Nine is build up with these 29'.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub

Bottom Line:
The rear wheel hub has from the beginning on a default inside the hub.. It costs me more that 6 month before Storck took action. Still no new rear wheel. Terrible service from Crank Brothers Germany. Don't buy these wheel.

Submitted by Magnum Opus

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    great looking, light, durable

Weaknesses:    kinda noisy

Bottom Line:
I have had these wheels for an entire season, and they have endured some considerable abuse (for example: watch my you tube vid..."sugar bottom slamfest"!)they still look fantastic on my titus motolite (anodized blue) and once I matched them up with a pair of schwalbe nobby nics, they really sung. they are expensive, but I would highly recommend them. its the one upgrade that instantly made me faster, and better at biking.

Submitted by timefleas a Cross Country Rider from USA & Japan

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    Pleasant appearance, unique. Tubes or tubeless. Fairly light.

Weaknesses:    The hubs sound like they are filled with gravel!! They turn smoothly but sound horrible--felt like I had playing cards attached to my spokes--only more serious, like ground glass and broken bearings were being rotated. Compatible with a very small range of tires, from something like 1.9 to 2.2. Hard to mount tires on rims.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THE COBALT XC/RACE WHEELSET!! I used them once, for about 4 kilometers, and thought both hubs had disintegrated--smooth riding, yes--quiet and unobtrusive?--Absolutely not. Any of my other wheelsets fare better than this one. It has been a long while since I posted here on MTB--I rejoined/registered specifically to warn people about these abysmal wheels--a complete waste of hard earned cash.

Purchased At:   Bay

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax, American Classic, Shimono 14 spoke, etc.--all better than this set.

Bike Setup:   Scott Team Limited, Look VTT carbon fork, Avid mechanical discs (keeping it light), Sram brakes and gears.

Submitted by k1rider a Weekend Warrior from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    First and foremost, the looks. But what I've really felt on the trail is the increased stiffness and lower weight over my previous wheelsets (usually stock DT combinations), 15mm QR also helps. Tubeless ready is also a plus

Weaknesses:    Cost and need to carry custom spare spokes

Bottom Line:
They look Sik, no free hub issues since CrankBrothers redesigned the 2011 3's and switched manufactures. Stiffness and they have a lower weight than comparable and more expensive I9's. Spendy, but for the weight they could be more expensive.

Purchased At:   Cycle Progression

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 5.7, XX/XTR hybrid, Magura Marta SL brakes, Command Post dropper, Kenda Nev's.

Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 vs. Crank Bros Cobalt 29 3

hi and hope this is the correct forum. Looking for opinions on the various pros and cons of these 2 wheelsets (insights on 2013 tech would be particularly helpful) Mavic Crossmax SLR 29 vs. Crank Brothers Cobalt 29 3 Application is for XC and light enduro racing in Colorado/New Mexico region; ... Read More »

crank brothers cobalt 3 wheelset

I am interested in getting the CB cobalt 3 wheelset and was wanting to know about the engagement. Does anyone know if they are different from the last model? Thank you in advance.Read More »

Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Seatpost

Has anyone had any experience with this seatpost? I am in the midst of compiling my parts list for a new build { Yelli Screamy} and really like what I see. The big plus is I found it on sale for $69.99Read More »

CrankBro's Cobalt 29r 3 red for SALE

I am not sure if I can post items for sale. I have brand new but installed crank brothers 29r rims, red for sale. No picture needed, they are perfect. $800 obo Crankbrothers does not specify a weight limit. They should. I have no issues but am uncomfortable riding them at my weight. I shou ... Read More »

Experience with Crankbrothers Cobalt 11 or 3?

I haven't seen any reviews out there on the Crankbrothers Cobalt 11 or 3. Does anyone have experience with either? I've heard that CB revised their hubs to deal with problems from last year - true? Is there a weight limit on the Cobalt 11?Read More »