Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 29er Wheelset

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Cobalt-3 29er Disc Wheelset: Unique double-anodized black rim with red center line, plus red nipples and pins. 19mm ID (23.6mm OD) welded, 6061-T6 aluminum rim with machined "Y" ribbed cross-section...

Submitted by josh

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2015

Strengths:    Light and very fast wheels. Great for single XC racing or gravel grinding.

Weaknesses:    If you plan to do anything outside the norm (FR, DH, Lots of rocks) be aware you will eventually have issues with these wheels.

Bottom Line:
I do multi-day racing on my mtn bike and have purchased another wheel set because these things are just to weird when it comes to repairing. The wheels are very hard to tru back or if you break a spoke, your out of luck until you get back to a bike shop.

Submitted by Paul a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2015

Strengths:    Small parts are not expensive once you know what you want. Bearings for the hub and free body are easy to find as it is a commonly used bearing. Just make sure you don't buy the cheapest ones. The don't last long. It is very easy to clean the wheels and spokes. It is easy to take the free body off to clean or replace. The wheels are very good looking light weight and strong.

Weaknesses:    Where I stay small parts are not easily available. Spokes , axles end caps. Not many Bikes Shops are familiar with the wheels so it takes some time to find the correct parts for the wheels. If it happens that your wheel needs straightening make sure to use a low strength loctite on the thread like 222 or 242. Also make sure you have the correct tension. It took my bike shop a few tries to get it right, but I have to say it was their first time to work on cobalt wheels. They did good. The red tint on the spokes do fade with time and become more like a pinkish colour. The free body needs to be taken off regularly to clean the area where the bearing is. If you do that the bearings will last longer and your free body will sound like when it was new, great

Bottom Line:
I have two sets of Cobalt 3's 27.5 and 29er. They a great wheels. They look and sound great. They are very light and sofar strong. The best part for me is the way they roll, unbelievable. I will recomend the wheels to anyone that asks.

Submitted by Pablo

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2014

Strengths:    Fast and light. Very nimble wheel that looks good

Weaknesses:    Where to start? Very weak. Never had a wheel come out of true so easily and often. Wheel has spent as much time on the stand as on the bike. Several broken spokes

Bottom Line:
I was warned away from CB wheels due to hub issues but I have found the two greatest weaknesses to be other than the hubs. The wheels are actually really nice performers. I've ridden them for one full season plus a few months. Really like the feel and look. Thats why its such a shame to say that I'll never buy a CB wheel again.

These wheels, especially the rear have been impossible to keep true. After one year of trying I finally noticed a pronounced warp on the rim. Disclaimer: I own a small bike shop and I build custom wheels. This wheelset is on a personal bike. I know how to maintain wheels and equipment. I was therefore really surprised to see the rim come out of shape so quickly. I've NEVER seen it before on a quality wheel.

I decided that this must be a defect. Got an RA number online and sent them in. Got a prompt call back saying this was not a warranty issue and would I like to pay them another bunch of dollars to get a crash replacement. I didn't crash I told them. There has been no damage...this wheel is defective. Went the rounds and the final verdict...my fault, no warranty. Reminded again I can pay for a replacement.

I've had many companies, including some I deal with in my business go ahead and cover a part just because they want to keep a happy customer. I've never had someone reject an obvious warranty like this. After doing so research online I've seen that CB has a reputation for terrible service. I'm glad I found out. Was just finishing a form with a distributor to carry them. I'm really glad I didn't put these on any of my custom builds...how embarrassing!

If you want some bling that you'll overpay for and get one season out of, I guess you should buy these wheels. If you want some good wheels that will last from a company that will take care of you, you probably want to look elsewhere...

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, True

Bottom Line:
I use these on my rigid SS, and have over 1500 miles on them with no problems.Use them for bike packing, rider and gear over 200lbs.

Submitted by egbert

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2013

Strengths:    look

Weaknesses:    back hub doesn't work well, terrible service of Crank Brother

Bottom Line:
I bought in august 2012 a Storck Rebel Nine included these wheels. From the beginning on a cracking sound in the back hub. After 3 month they replaced a new axis. Still the cracking sound was there. So reclaimed the problems. After 6 month They took my wheel back. Now 8 month later still no new wheel. It seems that the complete production for Storck has this proplems. But NO guaranty and NO service of Crank Brothers. DON't BUY THESE WHEELS, DON"T BUY EVEN WHEELS FROM CRACK BROTHERS, Sorry but it is a shame for a brand like this

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2011

Strengths:    Tub less 100% , weight , roll, sound , look

Weaknesses:    Not found yet

Bottom Line:
Great wheels , roll nice , sound nice , 100% tub less , look great, what you can say more , make your bike look special .much better then old version of 2010-2011.

Favorite Trail:   Ben shemen

Purchased At:   Bike shop l.a.