Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 Wheelset

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 Disc Wheelset: Affordable alternative to the original Cobalt, with no sacrifice in stiffness, durability or style. 19mm ID (23.6mm OD) welded, anodized 6061-T6 aluminum rim with machined "Y" ribbed cross-section...

Submitted by Biohazard74 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2015

Strengths:    stiff, strong, fast

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I have nothing but good things to say about these wheels. I am talking about the ones after the recall on the original hub. I ride a 2009 Giant Trance x and am 220 lbs geared up and not the smoothest rider. I have beat these wheels up and after over 3000 miles i just now have to get them trued "slightly". I know 2 other guys in my area (that use them to race) that have had nothing but good luck with them. I find it funny because the reviews on here are either great, or really bad. Makes you go hmmmm... These are XC wheels and if you are using them for anything else, that is on you not the wheel. I wrecked a front WTB Laser Disc wheel that came on my bike originally like nothing. Same trails with these and still going. And i will be honest i ride them like i'm riding all mountain. I do small jumps and small drops with them and again, still going. IMO if mine failed on me right now i would completely understand and definitely not blame the wheel. I now bought an Orbea Occam 29 and Crank Brothers Cobalts are goin on it as well. I "HAVE" had problems with other very well known preffered brands and honestly the Cobalts have outlasted them... I still like the other wheels as well but the Cobalts seem to be lasting much longer. Maybe me and the other guys that have them that i know just got lucky?

Similar Products Used:   a few others

Bike Setup:   2009 Trance X

Submitted by Shaun a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2015

Strengths:    Look great, roll really well, relatively light compared to stock wheels.

Weaknesses:    none so far other than perhaps reputation.

Bottom Line:
I noticed these wheels 2 years ago and stayed away because of all the pre 2013 - 2014 upgrades. Took the plunge a few months ago and they are the perfect match for my bike and my ability, Roll nicely, are strong went tubeless without any worries. If your jumping of the side of mountains then probably not a good choice but for XC riding.

Favorite Trail:   Macedon Ranges

Purchased At:   The Angry Butcher Su

Bike Setup:   Lapierre ProRace 529, XT upgrades and Crank Brothers Cobalt 2.

Submitted by brickwallmusic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2014

Strengths:    Nice and Stiff
Great entry level tubeless
Sexy

Weaknesses:    Personally haven't experienced any yet.

Bottom Line:
I've heard and read from people complaining about these rims being weak and getting out of true. Personally, I haven't had any issues with them, and I haven't had any problems with the rear hub assembly exploding like I've heard. I've done thousands and thousands of cross country with them and never had any issues. They are a XC rim and should be treated as such. They have a very good weight to strength ratio for an XC rim.

I stress that they are an XC rim because people should remember they aren't made for nailing loads of rocks and doing big drops. I had them for 3 years before moving to BC where the terrain was a little more intense, and I put them through some more AM stress and the back rim has finally gone out of true, but only after pushing them past what they were designed for.

Keep riding XC with these and they'll last forever!

Duration Product Used:   3 years

Purchased At:   Crankbrothers' websi

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek EX 9.0

Submitted by henrymiller1

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2012

Strengths:    Nice and light. Looks pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    Clydes need not apply.

Bottom Line:
I just got these from a friend. He is 225 and every time he rode these, A spoke will loosen up and made rims wobble. I'm 175 and got rims from him and have had no issues. Rode a 35er and rims held up. I 'm nor sure how happy i'd be with these if i had paid $650. I contacted Crank Bro's and they asked to send in rims. I'm happy with wheelset, and most likely will not send them in. But good support from Crank Bro's. Hope this helps.

Submitted by koby

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    I am biking on those new wheels one month they looks great good balance good weight I will update again next month

Weaknesses:    not found yet

Bottom Line:
I am a rocks singles climber my weight is 82 kg

Submitted by ccoogler

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2012

Strengths:    Look great, low weight. You can fly up hills like they are not there.

Weaknesses:    Fragile

Bottom Line:
On my third ride on level ground on a turn it felt that the front wheel gave out on me and I went over the handle bars. Front wheel warped/tacoed. i sent it in through my local bike shop to send them to warranty service at Crank Bros. Crank Bros told me that these wheels are only intended for cross country racing for a rider weighing 175lbs. I weight 220lbs and they said that"it is common sense that I should not be using these wheels" although no where it is published what the recommended weight of the rider should be. Buyer beware!

Submitted by runningwild a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Rock solid, no issues what so ever

Bottom Line:
I was a bit hesitant to buy this wheel set from the poor reviews. After further research I found the hubs on the Cobalt 2 have a different manufacture. I got a great deal on line @ Bikeman and went with it. I have been riding this wheel set for 2 months without any issues. They perform excellent and look sweet. The customer service @ Crankbrothers is top notch. Mine where delivered without the rear skewer, Bikeman called Crankbrothers and I had an e-mail in about 3 hours telling me my skewers were on the way. I had a completely new skewer set in 2 days. Great product and customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone Canyon