Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 29er Wheelset

Step upToThe Cobalt 2 29'er wheelset from Crank Brothers and start enjoyingThe benefits of low rotational weight and fullTubeless compatibility. Each features 24 stainless, butted spokes lacedTo a 6061-T6 aluminum rim. Disc brake only Front wheel is 9mm quick release or 15mmThru-axle, rear is 135mmTraditional quick release RecommendedTires: 1.9-2.3", rims areTubeless compatible

Submitted by Jeffrey

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Strengths:    Looks good.

Weaknesses:    hubs

Bottom Line:
The coblat 2 29er's look great,but a bad rear hub bearing right out of the box.Called crank brothers and horrible customer service,It took over four hours's and many phone call's later to talk to someone in there service department.I wouldn't buy again.

Submitted by badidea a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2012

Strengths:    super cool looking, get a lot of compliments

Weaknesses:    very lightweight, designed for up to 185 lb xc racing. not 240 lb all mountain riding like i do in Annadel State Park

Bottom Line:
I picked these up off HucknRoll for a new full suspension build. Rode for about two weeks before rear wheel started making noise/pinging. Took'em to lbs and had it "trued". lasted about another two weeks before the front wheel almost folded over. Returned them to Crank Bros. for service. Mechanic i spoke to let me know that these rims are designed for light fast guys....But they did upgrade my rims to the Cobalt 3's....for another $200.00 So I guess I will put these on my hardtail urban 29er and leave the all mountain riding to other wheels.

Favorite Trail:   North Burma in Annadel

Purchased At:   HucknRoll

Bike Setup:   ellsworth evolve 2x10 xt fox fork chris king headset and BB truvativ boobar 780mm

Submitted by ccoogler

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very light.

Weaknesses:    Fragile

Bottom Line:
On my third ride on level ground on a turn it felt that the front wheel gave out on me and I went over the handle bars. Front wheel warped/tacoed. i sent it in through my local bike shop to send them to warranty service at Crank Bros. Crank Bros told me that these wheels are only intended for cross country racing for a rider weighing 175lbs. I weight 220lbs and they said that"it is common sense that I should not be using these wheels" although no where it is published what the recommended weight of the rider should be. Buyer beware!

Submitted by fsr_long a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2011

Strengths:    Super lightweight. I've taken these wheels through some pretty harsh trails including very rocky areas. Also have put the wheels through some bad rain and mud. No signs of any rust or defects so far. Wheels are still true. I've even used them for competition and they've held up pretty well. These wheels are absolutely stunning!

Weaknesses:    None so far. Wished the wheels came with extra spokes but you can purchase a spoke kit directly at Crank Brothers for only $25 (kit comes with 4 extra spokes).

Bottom Line:
Very nice set of wheels for a decent price. Not sure why so many people keep complaining about the hubs when that was the 1st generation that came out a few years back. The hubs have been redesigned and are now made from a reputable company (Formula) so get over it!

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Ebay (seller: bikebr

Bike Setup:   2011 Specialized Camber Elite 29er

Submitted by joesrepsol a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    BEAUTIFUL Wheelset. Stiff, Light, Strong, wonderful to run tubeless. All around fantastic.

Weaknesses:    None (possibly durability if you get into some big drops or abuse them).

Bottom Line:
Awesome wheelset for the price. Tubeless is a breeze with a floor pump. Unbelieveably georgeous wheels! People comment all the time. Great for me, no weight limit, and I'm a 260lb rider. Called CrankBros many times before purchasing... great support. Config with 15mm thru axle up front and they are SOLID so far. Expect to be impressed.

Favorite Trail:   Brown's Ravine