Chris King Disc Mountain Wheelset

Weight : 793/937 grams <br>(fr/rr)

32° Bontrager disc specific rims, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes (3X) and aluminum nipples laced up to our ISO Disc Hubset. We build them right here in Shasta Lake by hand, one at a time.
  • Available with Black or Silver hubs
  • Available only from your local bike shop.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bhonda98 a Weekend Warrior from El Paso, TX USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Stays true. I have owned this wheel set for about 7 years and they are bullet proof. I just recently send them to the shop just to make sure they are true, let's see what happens.

Bottom Line:
    2004 Stumpjumper FSR. Rock Shox Duke XC fork, XTR rear derrailler, front XT derrailler, Avid rear Juicy Carbon Hydro Brakes, Marta SL front Hydro Brake, Azonic carbon high riser brakes.

Favorite Trail:   Redd Rd.

Purchased At:   WebCyclery.com

Submitted by Ryan from Woodstock, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    Roll weight is really light, little or no maintenance, and I love the loudness of the freewheel. *CLICKCLICKCLICK....*

Weaknesses:    None that I have found. Although, the loudness of the freewheel may get some people, but I love it.

Bottom Line:
    I have always loved ChrisKing headsets and knew that the hubs would be equally awesome. And having being built by John Kovachi, these wheels are indestructible speedbullets.
    I would recommend these hubs to anyone interested in new wheels.

Purchased At:   Kovachi Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax on previous frame (Giant NRS Air)

Bike Setup:   SantaCruz Blur, SID Race, XTR, Easton

Submitted by paul from Ashland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Strengths:    run very smoothly, light weight, low maintenance so far, stiff and handle accurately/predictably. My wheels are built with 517's and DT revolutions spokes by LBS. Strong. Very nice looking, got gold ones to go with Id gold/orange

Weaknesses:    sometimes the noisy free hub irritates me

Bottom Line:
    I've seen it written that you shouldn't use DT revolution spokes with disc wheels but my wheels stay true despite the extra stress disc-braking places on them. Brian at Bicycle Jones in Klamath Falls, Or, built my wheels and when I took them in to shop in Ashland to have their first tune up at about 50 hours (they seemed fine but I thought I should have a pro tune them because that is not my forte) they told me they didn't have to do anything and didn't charge me(CycleSport, also good guys). I have been able to taco every other wheelset I've ridden (Brian would verify) except the King's and the Mavic's, but I'll probably break before these wheels do.

Favorite Trail:   Hitt road

Purchased At:   Bicycle Jones, Klamath Falls, OR

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax UST disc, XT disc, lots of non disc wheels

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Id, Specialized Enduro Comp. Marzocchi Z1/Psylo Race, Avid mechanicals/Hayes, I try different combo's

Submitted by Derric Grady a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Strengths:    Everthing Chris King Hubs laced to Mavic 317 are light bullet proof. These have been runnig true since day one.
    The idea of being able to field service these with two simple tools. Great IDEA.

Weaknesses:    None at this time.
    Pricey but you truely get what you pay for these days.

Bottom Line:
    You will love the way these run true. The bearings are silky smooth. To service these you need just 2 5mm allens wrenchs. I will not buy another hub setup

Favorite Trail:   ALL in Colorado