Cane Creek Zonos Disc Team Wheelset

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

This wheel combines the performance and punishment-defying strength of the Zonos with the added control of disc braking. To optimize wheel durability, the rotor-mountable hubs include disc-side Torque-Transfer Flanges, front and rear. For the same reason, both front and rear Disc wheels include asymmetrical rims to improve wheel dish and equalize spoke tension.

Submitted by Stan a Cross Country Rider from AZ

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    Tubeless setup is great. Durable wheels with low rolling resistance, I wish Cane Creek would have stayed in the wheel business. My Aerohead road wheels gave me 25,000 miles with no problems. I just replaced them after nine years.

Weaknesses:    Have to take cassette off to true back wheel, not a problem , gives me an excuse to clean the cassette.

Bottom Line:
The bearings roll smooth, even after two years. They have stayed true right out of the box. The cone is quiet , unlike others that sound like a fishing reel.Great wheels for a great price. I run tubeless with Stans, and sorry I'm not related. Cane Creek will be missed.

Favorite Trail:   Rocks

Purchased At:   Cane creek

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, shimano xt, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by IrishMike a Cross Country Rider from Rocklin, ca

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Straight-pull spokes = highre tension, so 28 instead of 32 and very strong; nipples at the hub, so rim is only drilled 2mm for spokes. 21 point ratchet = faster power app under pedaling vs Shimano 16 point. Wide power xfer flange for disc mount. Spoke nipples are also 3/16" - the same size as a common ignition wrench = no specialty tools needed!

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for an XC - specific wheelset. Cane Creek's getting out of the Mountain wheelset biz, but an email to them 2 days ago said they still stock parts. Also, to true the rear wheel, you gotta pull the brake rotor and the cassette to access the nipples.

Bottom Line:
Basic physics. The vast majority of mass in this wheelset is concentrated near the hub. Rotational torque increases as mass is moved farther from the axis of rotation (e.g. the hub). Set aside the schoolboy stuff and ride - quick, snappy acceleration, no flex to speak of, and solid as a rock. I snagged these, as they are going out of production - there's still a few new sets on eBay - go fetch!
Buy these if you are on a budget - yes, the new Mavic XC series wheels are badass - IF, you can afford them. I ain't blowin' that kind of dough in this economy...

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   N/A - this is my first disc wheelset

Bike Setup:   2005 Iron Horse Azure Expert. XT group w/Hollowtech crankset, AVID BB-7's.

Submitted by nurfhurder a Cross Country Rider from NY, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, light, have only needed to true them twice. Plus the titanium spokes just look awesome.

Weaknesses:    The hub needs to be set 'just' right or you get some play. To tight, to loose and they just dont roll right. Cost!

Bottom Line:
These were worth the money. I've ridden the hell out of them for over a year and have only needed to true them twice. Strong and light! The hub is a little fussy but once its dialed in you are set. Im an XC rider so Im not dead dropping off more than 3-4ft but these wheels have handled beautifully.

Similar Products Used:   Ryno, Shimano, Mavic

Bike Setup:   SC Blur, XTR 960 , Juicy 7, 2.2 Mutanoraptors

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    stiff, light and fast. Looks cool. Tubeless works great. New 3.5 hubs are super smooth.

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
I like this design and they feel fast . Cane Creek's reputation for great service push me in purchasing those instead of Crossmax st.

Purchased At:   ride-this

Similar Products Used:   mavic, wtb , alex

Bike Setup:   07 trance 1 with a few swaped up parts. Thomson post, Fsa carbon bar and stem .Ust Crossmark to roll and 2.2 Michelin to ride aggressive stuff.

Submitted by Dremark a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Light. Stiff. Stay true.

Weaknesses:    ... ah... expensive... ah...

Bottom Line:
Best wheelset! I have the set with the blue Ti spokes, and the set look wicked. These wheeels are light, and have NEVER needed truing. The idea behind the wheels may sound like corporate mumbo-jumbo, but putting the nipples near the hub and reducing the rotational weight really works. These wheels feel light, spin up incredibly fast and track straight. And as a bonus, Cane Creek's customer service is second to none. They stand behind their products.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax, FSA

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Nitoa, XTR, XO, Thompson

Submitted by Triple D a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    This wheelset is so light that my riding has actually inproved stamina wise. They have taken a pounding and I have never trued them, still like new. I have them lubed and adjusted at my LBS every year so I have never had a problem with these wheels, unlike others I have used.

Weaknesses:    They aren't as pretty as the Crossmax but they outperform them without a doubt. The looks grow on you though!!!

Bottom Line:
This wheelset is by far the best wheelset I have ever used, and I didn't list all of the one's that I have used in "similar products used". They accelerate like no other and never have dishing problems due to their design. I have hit some major trails in NY, ME and NC and never had 1 problem with air loss or mechanical issues. I don't use any type of slime in the tires and yet they hold air for months at a time, this is a miracle if you ask me. I wasn't going to get these wheels because I didn't know much about them, but now I am so glad I did. I will never use another wheelset now that I have tried these. If you can afford to get some, believe me they are worth it.

Favorite Trail:   All and Any

Purchased At:   Online store

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax SL(never again, nothing but problems), Race X Lite(nice light wheels but hell to change a tire and lose air pressure within a few days) and Sun DS2-XC rims w/ xt disc hubs(heavier due to not tubeless, but good)

Submitted by Lou a Cross Country Rider from NM

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, very strong and they look great.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This wheelset has done wonders for my riding ability. They are so light and fast I feel like a racer, even though I am not! I have gone down some very rough and ROCKY trails but could not hurt these wheels. I always take my bike apart and clean and grease everything but these wheels have only needed grease once just recently. That is amazing for over 2 years on the wheels. The seals must be made of some super stuff since I have gone through many mud puddles with no damage whatsoever. The crossmax sl's would have to be cleaned and greased after every ride almost. That is why I sold them and went with these wheels, wish I wouldn't have listened to the crossmax hype!!! All I can say is go with Cane Creek instead of Mavic, for around the same price you get a much, much, much better wheelset...

Favorite Trail:   ALL major trails

Similar Products Used:   crossmax sl(junk, rear hub problems from day 1 and seals are no good, customer service wouldn't help)

Submitted by Paul Witkos a Racer from Dabrowa, Poland

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Acceleration, durability, lateral stiffness, sealing!!!

Weaknesses:    Quite difficult to adjust on the bike (see bottom line)

Bottom Line:
Best wheels on the market. Because of the low rotational weight they accelerate like demons. They will make you smile when after uphill you will leave the competitors with similar power at the moment it comes to gain the speed :). Beautifully machined. Unbelievably stiff. No more fear of parallel obstacles on the ground-they turn exactly as you wish them to. But the most awesome thing is the way they are sealed. After one so bloody muddy marathon that my RF bb died (piece of crap) and all my stuff (including XTR shifters) sucked tons of mud and water I dismounted them to estimate the damage and.... NOTHING!!! The bearings were like new (opened them to check the inside)!!! Crossmax? Please.
The lateral play on the bearings can be adjusted using a small screw on the spindle. It is recommended to do it with the wheel mounted on the bike and it is quite difficult to reach this screw. But I don't think it is a real disadvantage. It just takes some time and patience.
The bottom line is: Don't be misleaded by their theoretical bigger weight than some other ones. The are much faster by the way they accelerate and corner. Best notes.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   scalpel with RF Deus Cranks etc...

Submitted by Richard Byrd a Cross Country Rider from Houston, Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    These wheels are light, strong, and spin great!

Weaknesses:    The stickers already pealing off, but I was going to take them off anyway.

Bottom Line:
I wound up getting the Zonos SS wheels in stead of the team issue, the differrence is Titanium vs Stainless Steel spokes. There is tons of Marketing info on Cane Creek's website about these wheels. The big deal is that the nipples are placed in the hub instead of on the rim. This soposedly reduces the amount of weight on the rotational edge of the wheels to make them more responsive and handle better. I didn't totally buy into it, but they were light, and I liked Cane Creek's reputation for standing behind their products. So I opted for these instead of the Mavic CrossMax wheels I was also considering. I also liked the fact that they achived the lighter weight without reducing the amount of spokes or using some weird spoke patern. I have not been disapointed. This was the first upgrade I made on this bike and they have made a hudge difference in my riding. I am much faster now than I was with the Corvairs, plus they corner great. Also they accelerate much faster ot of the corners. The biggest difference I have noticed though is in my stamina. I can ride all day long with these wheels. I guess it is because they are so much ighter than my old ones. They are strong too. I go about 170lbs, so I'm not supper light, and I am a pretty agressive rider. I never shy away from drop offs or rock gardens, and the wheels are perfectly true after 3 months of hard riding. I would recomend these wheels to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Ant Hills