Cane Creek Terros Disc Wheelset

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

The Terros disc wheels combine the performance of the Terros wheels with the added control of disc braking. To optimize wheel durability, the rotor-mountable hubs include left-side Torque Transfer Flanges, front and rear. For the same reason, both front and rear Disc wheels include asymmetrical rims to improve wheel dish and equalize spoke tension.

Submitted by fringefan a Weekend Warrior from rapid city, sd

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    very strong wheel set for the weight

Weaknesses:    Wheels are a bit of a pain to true because the nipples are at the hub and you need a specail wrench.

Bottom Line:
I am 280lbs and ride at least 3 times a week off road on some local trails. Trails are a wide variety of single track, rocky, down hill and x-country. I have trued these wheels one time and other than that I have had one free hub body go bad in the first year which they just sent me a new one and I just broke my first spoke on a pretty rocky section today but the wheel is actually pretty straight. For the money this has been a fantastic wheel set and the only wheel set I have had on this bike that has held up and I am not that hard on my wheel considering my weight. Free hubs are cheap like most wheel sets in that price range so some of that is to be expected.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rime

Purchased At:   not sure

Similar Products Used:   wtb,syncros, shimano, Sun Rhino, some other sun rim.

Bike Setup:   Db mission 2

Submitted by ronen a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2008

Strengths:    very very durable now need of any maintanene

Bottom Line:
for a rider that ride a long and hard trails this is the product.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   wtb laserdidk +mavic717

Bike Setup:   yeti asr-sl

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Mckeesport, Pa

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2007

Strengths:    strength, reliability, speed

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
At 220 lbs. i was looking for a strong all mountain wheel after i destroyed the stock mavics that came stock on my bike. I have been abusing these wheels for over 2 years now and just recently needed to true them because i took them on a downhill trail about 2 dozen times over a 2 week period. Bottom line is if you want an affordable set of all mountain wheels that are going to take some abuse - Get these

Favorite Trail:   the dirt ones

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   mavic

Bike Setup:   03 specialized stumpy fsr comp

Submitted by jesse a Cross Country Rider from ny, ny

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    N/A

Weaknesses:    Wheels arrived with a defective rear hub. The hub makes a fluttering, piston-like noise while coasting after hard pedaling. Also, the rear wheel seems to lack stiffness as it squirreled during cornering. Called cane creek and they're unsure about the noise; suggested I send them the hub. NO. I'm returning them to seller so I can buy a new set of wheels immediately. Very disappointed as I read such great reviews and was looking forward to these hubs.

Bottom Line:
Hopefully others had a better experience but these wheels were just terrible. A defective rear hub and possible lack of rear strength is enough for me to say no more cane creek

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, NE

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, and affordable

Weaknesses:    Too stiff?

Bottom Line:
Extremely durable wheels. Dare I say bullet proof.

Here's the thing, I weigh 190lbs, have no skill, and plow through just about any obstacle I encounter. After a year of 'smokin' logs, rocks, and the occasional 2-3 ft drop, these wheels are perfectly true. They roll smooth and are quiet.

This is my second set of Cane Creek wheels and I won't ride anything else.

Favorite Trail:   swanson

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   xt hub w/mavic 517, Cane Creek WAM, WTB SpeedDisk

Bike Setup:   Turner Burner w/Vanilla 130rlc set to 100mm travel

Submitted by Bill Richards a Cross Country Rider from Marquette, MI

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    I weigh 185 with gear and have noticed absolutely no lateral flex in this wheelset. They track true. Build quality is excellent. Machining is excellent. Overall, they "feel" well built.

Weaknesses:    Possibly weight? It's a toss up. I like light and racey wheelsets, but I do not like how those wheelsets flex and require regular truing. The Terros are a little heavier, but I think that is the price one has to pay for durability and stiffness.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this product for a number of reasons:

Price is excellent. 250.00 shipped to your door from GreenFish.

Stiffness and durability: These wheels are meatier than some others, but they are stiff. They are very well built and I presume that they will have a long lifespan. To me, it's more important to have components that are durable and reliable than to have the flimsy, lighter and flashier components prone to breakage.

Customer service is fantastic and personable. Hard to find that combination these days.

Overall, this is a good, solid trail bike wheelset that should keep you smiling the whole way down. I think it best suited for 4" - 6" travel trail bikes. I wouldn't think these wheels would last long under more extreme DH conditions. The XC set might not like the weight, but the wheels ould very well be used for milder XC.

What else? Graphics are nice (if that matters). Tires and tubes go on very easily...no troubles mounting at all. Come with their own skewers and adjustment wrenches...even service instructions. However, I'm doubting that I'll ever need to refer to those.

Favorite Trail:   all of them...

Purchased At:   GreenFish

Similar Products Used:   Primarily Mavic: 717, 819, 317. Also rode 29er for awhile and had a Salsa/King wheelset (overrated).

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. Stock excepting these wheels.

Submitted by Scott from Cary, NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Strong (for XC), Light Weight, Hand Built (in NC), Outstanding Value, Respond quickly

Weaknesses:    Requires Special wrench (included with wheels); may be hard to get fixed in other countries.

Bottom Line:
I'm amazed how little I paid for these great wheels. They beat the ones that came with my NRS in every category. I would not freeride on these wheels, but I weigh about 180 lbs and have given them a lot of abuse. The front wheel is still spot on, and the rear one has just the faintest wobble after a year.

Favorite Trail:   Beaverdam, Raleigh NC

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Bike Setup:   '03 NRS2, Minute 01 fork

Submitted by Waterat a Cross Country Rider from Morgan Hill, CA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Laterally very stiff with 2mm spokes and the offset rim design. Good quick engagement on the freehub, way better than XT. Freehub is almost silent.

Weaknesses:    Such a specailized design the hubs and rims are not compatible with other mfg. If you should ever want to rebuild.

Bottom Line:
Medium weight 2024g wheelset that performs really well.The nipples at the hub design does make them feel lighter. Has given me new confidence on downhills because they are so stiff. The engagement has also helped in technical sections when you need power now! I have owned other Cane Creek products and the customer service is the best.

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   XT with Mavic F519,819 or Rhynolite rims.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Cane Creek Terros disc

Has anyone tried this wheelset? Is it strong enough for aggressive trail riding? I only have 2 years of riding under my belt but I'm getting better and braver. I can do almost 4 footer drops and jumps now. My Mavic Crossride has been really good to me for a year and a half now with a couple of ... Read More »

Cane Creek Terros Disc Wheels $140 a set!

[url]http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,75201_Cane-Creek-Terros-Mountain-Bike-Wheels-MTB-Set-of-2.html?cm_mmc=PaidPlacement-_-Google-_-WGOGB7-_-Cane_Creek_Terros_Mountain_Bike_Wheels_MTB_-_(Set_of_2[/url])Read More »

Cane Creek Terros Disc wheels strong enough?

So, I read the reviews and the few that are there look GREAT for this wheelset, even for some big guys. I run 6'3" 211 lbs (without gear) and ride a 4" FS bike through rough and rocky XC with no drops bigger than about 18". These appear to be more rugged than the Mavic CrossRides or other similar ... Read More »