Cane Creek Deep-V MTB Wheelset

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
Weight : 2124 grams MSRP : $600.00

• Spoke count: 28 front/28 rear
  • Spokes: straight gauge stainless
  • Rim: Deep-V 6106-T6 aluminum, 26"
  • Hub shell: 6061-T6 aluminum (fr), CrMo steel (rr)
  • Axle spacing: 100mm front/135mm rear
  • Rear cassette: Shimano 8/9-speed HG
  • Weight: Front 960g; Rear 1164g
  • Price: Front $240; Rear $360

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by memoryerror a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    Strength
    Design

Weaknesses:    Reality
    Old Shimano style freehub

Bottom Line:
    These have lasted me ten years. I have rebuilt the hubs a few times w/ new bearings mainly because on the older ones like I have the freehub is a Shimano freehub and the teeth stop catching after years of abuse from someone like me. I have bought new style Cane Creeks for a full suspension disc brake bike and the hubs are a compleatly different design that look a hell of a lot stronger and more reliable.

I have also replaced the rim on the rear wheel (due to wall cracking off at seem and brake groove) w/ a duros rim, because the no longer stocked the Deep V rim. I hate to see no more Cane Creek mountain bike wheels, these things never (almost) lost their true. Running down stair wells, slamming into curbs and big rocks, Moab, etc. And then they started making the upper end stuff w/Sapim CX-Ray spokes, they perfected the wheel and then stopped making them. Very Very sad.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax

Bike Setup:   Hardtail
    rimbrakes

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    Great customer service on my very first ride my rear wheel came out of true while riding on a fire road. I called Cane Creek ready to read the riot act. I didn't get a chance because they immediately took care of the problem and got me a new wheel fast! Strong stiff wheels that take a pounding. I'm a 235lb rider and can be hard on a set of wheels. So far, these wheels have held up very well. For their weight they're great and handle extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
    If you're concerned about weight don't buy em' If you want a strong wheel that you can mount and forget these might work for you. They are probably other wheels that cost less that deliver the same performance, but I don't think you'll bet Cane Creeks customer service and support...they're the reason I gave 4 chilis instead of 3.

Favorite Trail:   Ho Chi Min, Patapsco, Greatfalls