Cane Creek Crono Wheelset Wheelset

4.61/5 (67 Reviews)

Cane Creek Crono Wheelset

Submitted by David Baltazar a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    LIGHT ROTATING MASS AND TIGHT SPOKE TENSION.

Weaknesses:    REAR HUB IS EXPOSED TO DUST.

Bottom Line:
The Cane Creek Cronos wheels have so far have been the most, favorite upgrade of my bike and my bike has undergone numerous upgrades as it hardly resembles the stock set-up when I originally purchased it. This is the most unique set of rims you will ever buy because the nipple spokes are on the hubs and not on the wheels. This results in a lighter, rotating mass which I noticed right away during steep, hill climbs. The spokes are also tensioned much tighter that conventional wheels resulting in stronger and straighter wheels. After numerous cross-country races and “fun” rides on rough terrain my Can Creek Cronos wheels are as true today as the date I first put them on. Haven’t had them trued yet!

Favorite Trail:   Montebello in Cupertino, CA

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   MAVIC WHEELS

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab, XTR Rapid Rise rear derailer, XTR index shifter & remote bar-end shifters, XT front derailer, Cane Creek Cronos wheels, Race Face cranks, Richtey clipless pedals, Rock Shox T2 fork with Englund Air dampers, Schwinn Stingray MTB saddle with TI rails, Kore Stem, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 & 1.8 tires.

Submitted by Stu a Racer from Regina, Sk Canada

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, lightweight, alsmost NEVER need trueing, did I mention strong?

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of as long as you don't use them outside of their means. Thay are a XC wheel.

Bottom Line:
These rimes have been great for me. They are super TOUGH and lightweight anough that most racers should or do consider them for their bikes. These came with my Trek in 1999 and only this year (2005) did my rear rim finally fail. This is due to my own fault as I was using them out of their means. These rims are not meant for drops or trials riding! The spokes pulled through the rim.
Be warned if you live in Canada, don't plan on finding a replacement rim easily. You'll have to order one from Cane Creek direct ($50 USD) or send your rim to them to be rebuilt($85USD). Not a convenience.
My rear rim had to be trued only once after 3 years of riding and then went on to last another 3 years until I ruined it by fault of my own.
I'd buy another set for my XC racer in a heartbeat! Best damn rims I've ever ridden!

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   Maxic 517' and 717's, Spinergy

Bike Setup:   Trek 9900 OCLV Pro Issue, full XTR, SID race fork, ICON stem, bar, and post. Bontrager FS race saddle, Cane Creek headset.

Submitted by Todd Fontaine a Cross Country Rider from Great Falls MT

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2002

Strengths:    Unique design that works. Straight pull spokes have no weak points.

Weaknesses:    besides the price NONE. Like they say, you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
The non-drive side weld on my Crono let go at the top of the rim and about 1mm down the sidewall and was punching out hitting my pads. Even with a broken weld, the wheel is still straight as an arrow and after backing my brakes off it got me home. But the real bottom line is Cane Creeks customer service. I talked to them today, and they said send it in for a discounted rebuild. This is the third time the customer service has worked with me and has provided EXCELLENT service. 5 chilies for a great product and an even better company that really backs there stuff! Ride on

Favorite Trail:   rivers edge

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax, Mavic x221

Bike Setup:   Alpinestars full XTR, Manitou SX-R, Kooka cranks, Salsa brake booster and seat binder, Kore Elite bar, Raceface stem, Crossmax front wheel, Cane Creek headset, rear wheel and Thudbuster

Submitted by gk a Cross Country Rider from austin, tx

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    light, strong, look cool, arent crossmax's

Weaknesses:    so far ive only had to keep everything tight, thats about it

Bottom Line:
i read all the reviews when i was looking for a wheelset, and when i found a set of the wam ti's for cheap i grabbed them quick. So far so good. No problems with them. I have pretty much only used them as my racing wheels, and im impressed. Dont know what else to say but these are a good wheelset and would buy them again.

Submitted by biker from boston

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    these wheels rock

Weaknesses:    none...

Bottom Line:
I run this wheel as a rear wheel and it takes some pretty hard abuse...but it hasnt failed me yet. I got the wheel used from a friend fo 50 bucks, he thought he was going to upgrade to mavic's. I think he was mistaken. He had been a wannabe bike mechanic and had tightned the spokes to the point of cracking the rim in several spots. I got the wheel, called up cane creek, sent it in and bam 90 dollars and two weeks later, i got my wheel back with a brand new rim, new bearings, new spokes, no questions asked. beautiful company that stands behind their product. well done cane creek...

Submitted by Marc from Vienna, VA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, light, great customer support.

Weaknesses:    Hub would not tighten, (bearings), after riding 1.5 years.

Bottom Line:
Wonderful wheels although pricy, (I got them as a floor model for $380 so not too much for me). After the hub problem, I called Cane Creek. They said to send it to them,(my cost), and they would fix it for free and send it back, no charge. They didn't even ask how long I've had the wheel. They were fast, in a week after I sent it, I had it back, fixed.

Similar Products Used:   XT/517's

Bike Setup:   Tracer, etc, etc.

Submitted by Greg Sinski a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ.

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    Iam 215 lbs. and have a 20.3 lb YETI ARC Ti and this is my original wheel set these wheels are bullet proof. I hammer them day in day out and they NEVER come out of true

Weaknesses:    I really have not found any type of weakness

Bottom Line:
I love the wheel set, its pricey but well worth it.The low rotational weight makes them worth every penny you spend on them,just make sure you do not weight them down with heavy tires and tubes.

Favorite Trail:   Trail 100

Purchased At:   Air Park Bike

Mavic Cross Link
Chris King hubs

Mavic Cross Links and Chris King hubs, with Bontrager valient rims, and dt Revolution spokes
bontrager

Bike Setup:   The

Cane Creek Cronos,Sid Race dual air, XTR brakes, shifters, deraileurs,cassette, bottom bracket,Profile Alpine Pro Crank arms, Syncros Ti seat post,Easton Monkey Lite bars,Bontrager ST tires, and a Salsa Zona Tres seat

Submitted by Dan Williams a Cross Country Rider from Kitchener

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Strengths:    Seem strong, pretty light

Weaknesses:    Part's availability

Bottom Line:
These wheels are pretty damn nice. I liked them so much
I bought a second set a few weeks back.

They take a beating and barely go out of true. Others mention they are hard to true. I'm not sure what their problem is but I true mine all the time and it works fine.

My rear rim started to crack so I decided to try and rebuild it myself. The spokes are taking a while to get, as well
as a rim. My LBS took 2 weeks to get a rim, and no spokes yet (1.5 months later).

I'd say that these are a good buy if you can find them
on sale. Don't pay full price. I paid $425US for a set
of WAM Ti a few weeks ago.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element Race
SID
Whatever

Submitted by Chris Milliman a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Strengths:    Lateral rigidity, general strength

Weaknesses:    Crap freehub body, weird sized nipples

Bottom Line:
The first ride on these I destroyed the freehub body, so that sucked. I had to buy an XT replacement unit, which was a bit annoying since the wheels were brand new. I used to be a mechanic, so replacing the freehub body wasn't a problem, but for a new set of wheels this was disappointing. I think all they needed to do was not spec the wheel with crap.

As for the ride, these wheels are great! Very, very stiff and track straight. I ride technical East Coast trails and these wheels have survived everything since I got them, including some hard knocks that ruined 3 tires (in the same week). I've not had to true them since I got them, which is good since you need a special wrench (though the local shop told me a 3/16th wrench works too)

Bike Setup:   Fisher hardtail/ XC race rig

Submitted by Wally Cole a Cross Country Rider from Central Fla

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2000

Strengths:    light, pretty, good braking surface, light, low maint.

Weaknesses:    my spokes pulled through the rim

Bottom Line:
I noticed my front wheel out of true on a ride. Close inspection showed the spokes deforming the rim causing the wheel to be impossible to true. I emailed CC and they said send it in. I did and a week later, BAM I got a new wheel. These guys really stand behind their stuff and where great to deal with. What more do you want? Use 'em.....

Favorite Trail:   puerco canyon, Malibu Ca

Similar Products Used:   tons

Bike Setup:   I used these mainly on my old proflex 856

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Strengths:    Not Shimano
Stays True
Fast

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Like having a rocket strapped to your bike. Spins fast and stays true, might be a little expensive but you get what you pay for (I only paid $150 for mine!!) it might be a little hard to true but I have never had to.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Merlin, Raceface, XTR, ......

Submitted by A.S. a Racer from NY

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Strengths:
-Look rad

Weaknesses:
-ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT WHEELS TO TRUE
-Hard to find parts (spokes & bearings)
-Not as strong as everyone claims

Bottom Line:
I will admit, these wheels are pretty strong but not more so than other custom build-ups.
BE WARNED- it may be difficult to bend these rims, BUT when you do (and you will), they are almost impossible to true. The nipples are in the hub flanges and do not use a standard wrench. The spoke wrench Cane Creek gives you SUCKS. If you manage to turn the nipple, the whole spoke turns too. This means you may need to hold the spoke with some pliers. Oh... forget about the drive side spokes- you'll need to remove the cassette to get to them. My last complaint is with parts availability. You wont be able to go to your LBS to pick up spokes or a new rim. That stuff will have to be special ordered- keeping you off the trails even longer.-For most of you, trying to fix these wheels won't be worth the headache. It wasn't for me and I'm a BIKE MECHANIC!

Stewart Trails

3 months

Mavic, Sun, Bontrager

Intense Uzzi SL

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, almost indestructable, look really cool. Giddyup!

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
These wheels rock! I weigh 220 lbs and those measly 24 spokes up front have never flinched. Today I got big air and crashed HARD, my tire came off the rim and the tube was bulging out the side. I was a little banged up but my cronos were still straight as an arrow. 5 chillies!

6 months

Schwinn Homegrown hardtail, Z2 Superfly, blah blah blah, who cares.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Rotterdam

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Strengths:
Strong stiff and light, Looks cool

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
Awesome wheels, maybe not the strongest but stiff, light and feel very good.
Rims stay good with maguras. my other rims could not stnd the force and friction

6 months

weimann, Mavic

Voo-doo djab, Magura 33, marzochi z3, syncros skewers bar stem and seatpost, spd 535 xt der, raceface crank, black spire rings

Submitted by Mark Witczak a Cross-Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just following up on my entry below. Cane Creek replaced both wheels with complete rebuilds. 2 week turnaround time. The old rims were part of the bad batch Trek made for the '98 product. It's a proven fact that companies with excellent customer service tend to stay around the longest, Cane Creek is one of them.

1 Year