Cane Creek Crono WAM Yellow Wheelset

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : Front: 730 grams Rear: 1010 grams MSRP : $625.00

• Spoke count: 24 front/28 rear
  • Spokes: Double-butted stainless
  • Rim: Box-section aluminum, 26"
  • Hub shell: 6061-T6 aluminum
  • Hub axle: 6061-T6 aluminum (fr), CrMo steel (rr)
  • Axle spacing: 100mm front/135mm rear Rear cassette: Shimano 8/9-speed HG

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by brian a Racer from Los Angeles, CA.

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Strengths:    Overall strong. Great engineering.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
    I love these wheels. I've been riding & racing the wheels hard for years & have had no problems. (And I've only maintained the wheels once). Great mountain bike product. Thanks Cane Creek for the good work.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano & Cannondale wheel set-ups

Bike Setup:   Cannondale XC race hardtail

Submitted by Sevenguy a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Strengths:    Light, fast, relatively durable.

Weaknesses:    Rim strength

Bottom Line:
    I had the pleasure of riding a set of WAM Yellow's for just shy of 2 seasons on my hardtail Sola and was impressed by their durability and strength for such a light wheelset. I did however expereince a rim fracture while on a ride last fall that has since been handled with an amazing level of customer support from Cane Creek and particularily Peter Gilbert. In all my years of being a consumer, Peter blew me away with the amount of time and diligence he spent in making sure I was looked after. Rarely are my expectations met, and I must say that Cane Creek and Peter backed their product. As a result of this service, and the positive experience I had riding on the WAM's prior to my incident, I have again had the confidence to go the route of the Team WAM's with Blue rims and Ti spokes for this season. Thanks Peter, appreciate it.

Favorite Trail:   Secret Trail

Bike Setup:   Seven Cycles Sola, White Bros SC UL 72, XTR, Easton.

Submitted by steve a Racer from wisconsin

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Strengths:    high spoke tension-stiff wheel

Weaknesses:    rear hub has been rebuild 3 times and still having problems with cones.

Bottom Line:
    at least cane creek will send new parts if you call them, but they keep sending the same crappy aluminum cones.

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Reading, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    Light & look cool

Weaknesses:    I've had this wheel set for about 1 year now and had to send the rear back to the factory 2x's for new hubs. And as far as the front, I have replaced my fork, my headset and even pads and came to the conclusion that the front rim must have been machined uneven because of the chatter that I get when I apply the front brake.

Bottom Line:
    If you have the cash, want your bike to look cool and want to be plagued by continuous maintenance, go for it. If you're a hard rider that needs good, solid, dependable and light-weight wheels, think again.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that isn't paved

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth, XT components, Cook Brothers Crank/ Raceface rings/ SID fork/ King Headset…

Submitted by Shaun H. a Cross Country Rider from Milford PA 18337

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    These wheels came on my f-3000 , they are suprisingly strong, I'm 6'3" & 200LBs, The wheels are staying very straight. I would have to say that cane creek knows how to make a great wheel.

Weaknesses:    They aren't the lightest wheels ( althought they are light enough for me) and they are some what hard to true, but they hardly need to be.

Bottom Line:
    These wheels are as cool as they look, smooth hubs, stong rims, great breaking surface, stiff, & fast. You really feel the difference, period....

Favorite Trail:   nipple-ring

Purchased At:   Action Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crosslinks, Ringle rpm

Bike Setup:   Cannondale cad-4- Full xtr - Python tires.

Submitted by Alfonso a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2000

Strengths:    strength by design; light and lively in motion; durable construction and powdercoat finish

Weaknesses:    braking surface could stand some improvement in wet/muddy conditions

Bottom Line:
    Worth every penny spent on them... they are simply fantastic. Most of this wheelset's merits are gained by innovative design. I had actually purchased these wheels to replace a set of Bontrager Race wheels, for which I've left a scathing review a while back mainly due to repeated issues surrounding rim quality. Much to my initial dismay, I had discovered that the hoops used on the WAMs are identical to the Bontys I trashed so I thought I was doomed. I thought wrong.

Reverse lacing on the WAMs allows smaller drills on the rim, effectively strengthening the rim -- sounds like a bunch of engineering and marketing B/S, but I TRULY BELIEVE this has made the remarkable difference between the Bontragers and the Cane Creeks in my own experience. One might argue that more rim material makes a heavier wheel, but in this case, moving the spoke nipples to the center of the wheel have produced wonders in reducing rotational weight. You simply have to ride these to even understand its significance.

Asymmetrical construction of rear hoop significantly reduces dish -- but I had already learned to appreciate that when I rode the Bontys.

Cane Creek has done a marvellous job in constructing, greasing and sealing their hubs, most notably the rear hub. These wheels are outrageously fast, light in action, and behave like they have the active drive system of an Audi. They've stood up to abuse of rocky terrain, dropoffs (both intended and accidental) and stay true in spite of all that. One ride and you'll love em. 500 miles or more later, your wife or better half will be jealous of them.

My wheel setup is completed as follows:

Rear: Shimano XTR 9sp casette, Specialized AirLock tube, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8

Front: Specialized AirLock tube, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1

Purchased At:   Speedgoat, PA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper WS, Bontrager Race

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, full custom build

Submitted by Art a Cross-Country Rider from Adirondack Mtns., N.Y.

Date Reviewed: May 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
    Actually, the WAM's in yellow retail at $625., not $600. These are the same WAM's as the others,but they have the trick yellow rims and hubs with the black steel spokes instead of blue rims/silver spokes. Looks way good on my ride! Bought mine from Speedgoat for $540. total, including Shimano XT 8-speed 11-30 cassette installed and black Salsa skewers, delivered. Absolutely love 'em! I weigh 200 lbs. and I've not had to true them at all. They are as straight now as the day I put them on the bike. The 221 Mavic's went out of true after about 2 weeks and I was afraid I'd taco them or something, so I sold them to a friend who weighs less. I bomb a gravelly, bumpy downhill run for warm-up next to my house almost every day going at least 30 m.p.h., and these wheels inspire confidence! I've done very rocky and rooty trails as fast as I dared to, and these baby's hold up. Handling is excellent, they feel very stiff and solid. Acceleration is quick and easy, on road or off. And they have a gorgeous finish that is durable.
    Had a bike shop offer me a set of Mavic Crossmax's for $600. I said Nah, you can keep 'em. I'm buying the WAM's. Glad I did! You will be,too. 5 steamy boners!

3 months