Cane Creek Crono WAM Ti Wheelset

4.8/5 (15 Reviews)

Cane Creek Crono WAM Ti

Submitted by Dré a Cross Country Rider from L.A.

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2004

Strengths:    Light. Strong. Stay true. Wicked fast. Blue Ti spokes look cool.

Weaknesses:    Uhhhh....

Bottom Line:
Cane Creek make the best wheels. They also have THE BEST customer service in the business. This is my second set of their Ti Team wheelsets. My first pair, WAM Team issue, are almost four years old. They have never been trued. My second set are Cronos Teams and are just as sweet. I have used the customer service on two occasions, and they have been fast, honest and diligent.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   '02 Specialized S-Works FSRxc, Cane Creek Ti wheelset, full XTR, Avid discs, Chris King headset.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Longmont, Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Stays true, light and durable.

Weaknesses:    Price? These wheels are worth the price!

Bottom Line:
Great wheels. I took a spill on some ice during a hike-a-bike section, and ended up falling onto my rear wheel spokes (made for a softer landing, but I thought the wheel was toast). The wheel stayed true! I have made only minor adjustment over three years. Just had them rebuilt due to rim wear(v-breaks), and bearings will not last forever. I travel all over the Rocky Mountain States for work, and ride at least five days a week.
Buy these wheels if you love light, durable and low maintenance wheels. Do not buy these wheels if price is more important than function.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, UT

Bike Setup:   Truth with XTR, Romic.....

Submitted by Allen Coulonge, Jr. a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Incredibly light and fast wheelset. Accelerates fantastically. Now wish that I had a larger Chainring up front.

Weaknesses:    None that I could find.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that you can find a deal on these wheels, BUY THEM! They are the single most important upgrade that I have done to my bike. I highly recommend these wheels and I am no light weight (235 lbs). You can't go wrong with these. Racers and recreational riders alike will benefit from these. Only problem is that I find that I am not even shifting anymore for my morning ride which includes a bridge about 60 ft high. I just leave it in the big little combo and hammer on. May make shifting obsolete.

Favorite Trail:   Any I can get to

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Various cheepo wheelset and the Bontrager Corvairs that came with my Trek 4900.

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900 with full xt/xtr group, San Marco Arami saddle, Syntace bar and stem, Eggbeaters, Duke XC & Cane Creek wheels

Submitted by gk a Racer from austin

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Strengths:    very strong, light, look sweet, not crossmax

Weaknesses:    expensive if you had to pay retail, if you bust a spoke they are expensive to replace and will pull wheel totally out of wack

Bottom Line:
very nice wheelset, very light and are super strong. Have been racing on them for about 1 year now and are still straight. For what i paid for them there is not another wheel even close to the performance. The blue spokes look cool and everyone will always ask you, are those ti? The only downside is if you bust a spoke they are hard to come by and are pretty expensive, but so are crossmax spokes. I guess if you are looking to buy a $800 wheelset you most likely have more than one set of wheels anyways and will only race on these, and for racing they are sweet.

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   hugi/517, crossmax

Submitted by Jimbo Rides a Cross Country Rider from Glastonbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Strengths:    What can I say? They have been virtually flawless for over 3 years. I had to true them 2x in 3 years! I had back rim replaced by CC service due to damage and they did an excellent - and fast - job relacing new Ti and sending iyt back quickly.

Weaknesses:    side to side flex when loaded off center.Sometimes slaps brake pads.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels. They do not get enough press. Ditch the imports and go with the MADE IN THE USA goods!

Customer service has been great also.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   IBD

Similar Products Used:   The usual Shimano and Mavic assortment

Bike Setup:   1997 Ellsworth Truth. AD 10 rear, Zocchi Z280, XTR, SRAM 9.0 Thompson post, bla, bla, bla.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Where do I begin.....? These wheels look fantastic and perform even better. I have had these for about 1 1/2 years and they have taken quite a beating! I have only lost one spoke in that time and have only changed out the bearings in the rear wheel once. I am very impressed with the workmanship. The TI spokes and offset angle in shich they are installed on the wheel give it a very stiff feel with no noticeable flex. I have yet to true these wheels except for the broken spoke. I can't say enough about these wheels.

Weaknesses:    The only real weakness is that the spoke tension is very high, so when you bust a spoke you will be hard pressed to keep riding. The wheel goet totally out of true and wouldn't pass through my forks. (I now keep an extra two spokes taped to the inside of my Hydration pack!)

Bottom Line:
I don't want to sound like some homer who likes the wheels just because I own them. If there were any real problems I would be glad to tell you but there are none rreally to speak of at this point. BUY THESE WHEELS!! If I am ever to replace these wheels I will do so with another set! There just is no substitute!! I give this 5 steaming poops on value since I got them so cheap and 5 more grunt sculptures for being even better than I could have ever thought. Great job Cane Creek....!

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavid 217 ceramic CD-SUP on Ringle hubs, Mavic 517 Citeron on XT hubs, WTB Speedmasters on LX hubs

Bike Setup:   Who cares??

Submitted by Jim Sener a Cross Country Rider from Glastonbury, CT USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    weight, durability, customer service

Weaknesses:    custom parts, tools

Bottom Line:
Very happy. They do what they are supposed to do. Fast, light and responsive. I have ridden year round for two years and only broke 2 spokes.

Suggestion: keep extra spoke in pack for long rides.

Favorite Trail:   Any one I can get to today...

Similar Products Used:   Spinergy

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth,XTR, Race Face cranks, WAM Ti's,CaneCreek AD-10, Judy SL Long Travel with Englund air kit

Submitted by craig a Cross-Country Rider from wilsonville

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strength
Strength
Weight
Strength
Did I say they're strong?
Ti makes me moist

Weaknesses:
Huh?

Bottom Line:
Followup to earlier review, which was also great. Last weekend I picked up a 2-inch branch in the rear, locking up the rear wheel and throwing me over the bars. I figured the rear was toast. Imagine my surprise to find not even a bent spoke, and the wheel is still perfectly true. These things ROCK. Five flaming jizballs!

elkhorn crest

2 Years

RPM Lite
Crossland
Crosslink
Superfly
XT/231

Litespeed Obed XTR/SX Ti

Submitted by jules a Racer from ma

Date Reviewed: July 1, 1999

Strengths:
incredible rolling resistance which makes these wheels faster in technical terrain.very light weight which makes them great climbing wheels

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
These wheels rock! Light weight, quick and fast.Incredible hub design. As though they would roll forever if wheels were not acted upon by outside force. Highly recommended for racing.

trail of tears

3 months

mavic crosslink
mavic 517

Submitted by D. Javier a Weekend Warrior from springfield , VA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1999

Strengths:
Strong
Light n'
Killer looks

Weaknesses:
price

Bottom Line:
Buy them...they look great and performe better...i just got back from some advanced ridding in west va and stayed at the elk river touring center ( www.ertc.com)...and went on some white knuckle downhills and bike humping ups, and through some huge rock gardens that almost put holes in my frame, and wheel is fully true and spotless.....took a huge jump landed on the front wheel from 8 feet and wheel is stilll perfectly true...great f>u>C>k>ing job CAne Creek!!
buy them, .worth every penny.....HURRY THE FRONT IS ON SALE AT SUPERGO.COM FOR $150 !!!!!
DID I SAY IT LOOKS GOOD?
*********************

Tea Creek Mtn.

less than 1 month

matrix guru

trek triple butted cro-mo, Marzoccho Atom Bomb

Submitted by Rob A a Cross-Country Rider from asheville nc

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
low weight
strength
stiffness
local company

Weaknesses:
bearings

Bottom Line:
Made my atom bombs feel like noodles- have taken a beating, and no out of true

nuke atom bomb

jamis el diablo, zoke Z2

Submitted by Jim a Cross-Country Rider from Hartford,CT

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1999

Strengths:
weight
durability

Weaknesses:
Ti spokes

Bottom Line:
Ti spoke recently broke on a ride and sent wheel way out of true-almost unrideable
advice: bring your wrench and an extra spoke on long ridesI have riden them full time with no other problems-even racing them 6x or more here in New England

Park City-Ridge Trail

Ellsworth Truth
Judy SL LT
Air front and back

Submitted by Sean Kammer a Downhiller from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: June 2, 1999

Strengths:
Strong
Light
Compliant Ride
Great Tracking
Looks Awesome

Weaknesses:
Truing them is a pain but thankfully my 215 person doesn't have to true them often at all.

Bottom Line:
Buy the wheels Crono's Rock! I have Deep Vs also that I use for DH and they are very strong too.!!!

Loch Raven

6 months

You name it.

Kona Kula SX Carbon..XTR Race Face.

Submitted by craig a Cross-Country Rider from Wilsonville, OR

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight
Very fast
Very strong
Cool ti tinkle

Weaknesses:
Expensive
Hard to find spokes (but haven't needed to)

Bottom Line:
Killer wheelset. Noticeably quicker power transfer than Crosslands or Superflys, and a pound lighter XT/231s. Very strong; I ride lots of rocky singletrack east of the Cascades and muddy,rooty stuff on the west side, and have never had to true them. I haven't had the problems with the freehub. Five boners!

Elkhorn Crest

2 Years

Mavic Crossland
XT/231
Nukeproof Superfly

Litespeed Obed, XTR, Manitou SX-Ti

Submitted by Seth a Cross-Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, Power transfer, ride

Weaknesses:
Durability, Free hub body

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I've ridden the things for just about a year and had to replace the free hub body twice. It rides great but fir the price it should be more durable.

National

Mavic 517, 217 cross land

Airborne LS Ti, XTR,Z2(98)