Cane Creek Aeroheat MTB Wheelset

4.43/5 (21 Reviews)

Cane Creek Aeroheat MTB

Submitted by to from co a Weekend Warrior from Sarasota, FL

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    very sturdy, never needed to be trued in my 5+yrs of riding on them.

Weaknesses:    spoke replacement on rear wheel requires to remove cassette. Ok if you have the tools (I do :)

Bottom Line:
Thought i would chime in on these wheels. They have ran thru the gauntlet of riding from Moab to Colo to the sands and clays of FL. Never had to true them. Had a problem with the free-hub, had it replaced - good to go. Also Cane Creek Cust. Ser. was great-a few years ago, the rear hub (one side sealed, other cone & cup) got major damage from the sands in FL...sent it in for them to fix. CC replaced the entire hub - free of charge... :)

Favorite Trail:   Alafia S.P., Hall Ranch, CO

Similar Products Used:   Mavic cross-max

Bike Setup:   YETI KOKOPELLI'03, xt/xtr components, thompson seatpost, monkeylite bars.

Submitted by Murray B. Gentil a Cross Country Rider from Ithaca, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Great acceleration.
Sturdy construction.

Weaknesses:    Requires a special spoke wrench. One was included with the wheels, so this isn't that big of a deal.

Two of the spokes on the rear-left side came loose. Which brought up a design flaw: since the spokes are straight-pull, there is nothing stopping them from rotating around their own axis. So when a spoke is REALLY loose, it's a little hard to tighten it, since it just spins. I was able to do it by holding the spoke with Vise-grips while I tightened the nipple, but this might weaken the spoke if you squeeze too hard, so be careful.

Bottom Line:
A good value, despite the few minor annoyances. After two years of riding, the front wheel is still perfectly true, and the rear only needed minor adjustment - and the bearings still spin as smooth as ever.

Submitted by al a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX usa

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2005

Strengths:    fast, fairly light, cheap, trick design, trick looking, very responsive

Weaknesses:    trick design implies special spokes/tools

Bottom Line:
I've ridden these for 18 months, about 5000 miles of commuting, and am very very happy. These are one of the best bang for the buck purchases i've made. the wheels have yet to need a truing, though the back is slightly out of true but not enough to bother yet. The hits are different when commuting, i ride 1.2inch 100psi tires up and down curbs, over potholes, etc and the wheels have born the ~250lb bike/rider/gear load with no issue. Impressive from a 24/28 spoke wheel!! much better durability than the (nice) Mavic/shimano/dt wheels i've run in the past.

honestly i think the beating they take on-raod may be worse than off road: the hits are "bigger" off road but no where near as jarring as whacking stuff at 20+ mph with hi pressure tires. I may get a second set as backup, cause they're cheap and that good!

a big big advantage this wheelset has over any i've ridden is how fast they accelerate. i'm guessing it'a a combo of low inertia (the total weight isn't particularly low but the weight is more towards the center) and high spoke tension. Very responsive! honestly, after 18 months of ownership, they STILL feel fast! if you're not convinced a mtb bike can be fast, try these with a set of slicks and prepare to be surprised. I recently rode the Hotter than Hell 100 and averaged just over 20mph - on my commuter mtb bike, with these rims, and $13 Nashbar slicks! passing up packs of roadies was fun---

so give em a try. Five friggin flamers for this one.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   custom built and off-the-shelf mavic/shimano/dt wheels of various combinations

Bike Setup:   hardtail set up for daily commute

Submitted by N.B.GAS a Cross Country Rider from LAS VEGAS, NV.

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    FAST...TRUE...BRAKING SURFACE...PRICE...LOOKS...LITE...
EVERYTHING I LOOK FOR IN A XC WHEELSET.................

Weaknesses:    NONE...

Bottom Line:
BEST WHEELSET I've HAD AS OF YET!
I WILL DEFFINETLY BUY ANOTHER SET FOR MY NEXT BUILD!
MY PLAN WAS TO BUILD A FAST-LITE-BIKE! THIS WHEELSET
COMPLETED THE PACKAGE!
.........................TIME TO RIDE FOREST RIDE!...
............QUIT FORKING AROUND AND GET S SET!.......
........................................PEACE........

Favorite Trail:   EMPTY ONES

Purchased At:   SUPERGO.com

Similar Products Used:   OLD-SCHOOL ARAYAS...MAVIC X221,F519...ALEX 2100...OEM...

Bike Setup:   05'IBEX FRAME: MANITOU AXEL COMP 100mm...SRAM X9 GS,RD,
X-GEN FD,PG-970,PC-99,9.0 LEVERS...RACE-FACE EVOLVE CRANKS,
BB,STEM,FLAT-BAR,SEATPOST...AVID SD-7s,FLAK-JACKETs...SELLE
ITALIA TRANs AM X-O...AZONIC XTENSION...IRC MYTHOS XC..OURY.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2005

Strengths:    reasonable price for what you get, strong for their weight, and they seem fast.

Weaknesses:    if you need a replacement spoke, you have to buy a $20 kit from cane creek, rather than just $1 for one spoke. I really hope I don't need to use the other spokes!

Bottom Line:
these wheels hold up okay, but most bike shops don't carry the spokes or have the special spoke wrench to true these wheels.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   gary fisher hoo koo e koo w/ deore xt shifting and avid brakes

Submitted by Rob Alicea a Weekend Warrior from Brentwood, NY

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2005

Strengths:    Incredibly strong and light… so far, hubs are holding up well…great torque transfer… using XT 9 spd cassette

Weaknesses:    None yet...

Bottom Line:
GREAT VALUE... I'm 220 lbs and I put a beating on these rims, hubs are still rolling smooth and no truing problems yet... of course you can find lighter and stronger rims that's if you want to spend over $500.00+.... I have no complaints. I give it 5 flaming chili's just alone on value and performance!

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   $220.00 @ Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Sunringle RPM Lite.. Aeroheat better quality... Mavic crossland... Aeroheat much lighter...

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F600 w/ Ultra Fatty Headshok, XT hollowcranks, XT front derailleurs, XTR rear derailleurs, Monkeylite Hi-rise bar w/ Kore stem...

Submitted by damon duehring a Weekend Warrior from gardner, ks, usa

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2005

Strengths:    I'm no pro, but take 3 foot drops and hit the rocks pretty hard--after about 5 months of riding I have yet to true these. Please note that on any given day I'm about 210 pounds. They roll nice and smooth, plus look pretty cool.

Weaknesses:    Rear hub needed tightening 2X--once before I put them on the bike, and once after about 3 months of riding. Haven't had to true these yet, but it doesn't look like it will be as simple as with regular wheels.

Bottom Line:
I really like these wheels. They seem to roll better than my old Mavics, and the price wasn't too bad for trying out a decent set of wheels. I'd recommend them to anybody.

Favorite Trail:   landahl state park, missouri

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 317 with XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   Whatever good parts I can get cheap on eBay go on a '96 Trek 8000 frame (I keep getting outbid on frames!).

Submitted by Raful a Cross Country Rider from Jerusalem

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2005

Strengths:    Light. not the lightest, but light enough. strong, great looks, amazing fast and light rolling.

Weaknesses:    did'nt find any. have a dent in the rear rim from a nasty landing, but my lbs got it true.

Bottom Line:
a very good deal for the money. the nippels are on the hub so the extra waight over much more expensive wheels is neglectable. it climbs as good as the lightest wheels but is stronger and cheeper.

Similar Products Used:   crossmax, xtr on 517, bonti on xt etc

Submitted by Dino from T.O., CA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Strengths:    These wheels are fairly light, look good, and the nipples are at the hubs. Very responsive factory service.

Weaknesses:    The hub-centered nipples can also be a negative when it comes to truing the wheel.

Bottom Line:
These wheels seem to be a very good value. I've had them for a bit over a year and only recently had a problem. The problem was with the Shimano hub guts in the rear. A portion of a bearing retaining ring disintegrated. However, I contacted Doug Beeler at Cane Creek and he told me to send the wheel back to them-that it appeared to be a factory defect and they would fix it free of charge.

I sent the wheel back to Cane Creek, and a couple weeks later, it came back in perfect working order; no fuss, no muss (whatever that is).

I got excellent service from the company, and for that factor I would recommend Cane Creek products. The 5 chili rating is mainly a reflection of the service.

Probably not a great wheel for free-riding, but excellent for XC at the price.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   All kinds of other wheelsets.

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, light, stays true, very smooth

Weaknesses:    Have not found any

Bottom Line:
Got these for Father's Day. I had a pair of Mavic's on my backup bike that I could not keep true. (This is my second set of Mavic's owned that I could not keep true) I moved my Bontrager wheels to my backup bike and put these on my Sugar. I ride rough but am not a free ride guy. These rims have been bullet proof so far. Even after hitting a boulder and pinch flatting, they are true and smooth. Very smooth wheels. I highly recommend them. (I also love my Bontrager wheels).

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Mavic

Bike Setup:   Sugar

Submitted by Cruzader a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2004

Strengths:    Great looks, definitely a head turner. Excellent acceleration, an all around tough wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary nipple tool, but it comes with the wheels anyway. My only regret is not being able to upgrade to disc brakes now that I bought these.

Bottom Line:
I was a bit leary considering how thin these rims are, and a few reviews here about spoke problems. But I've had no issues whatsoever since I bought these almost 3mos ago. I don't beat them too hard, but hard enough; I'm maybe in the middle on the aggressiveness scale. But last week, I screwed up a 4ft drop onto concrete by nosediving and almost endo'ing . . . no effect on the rim, despite my cheesy RST suspension fork bottoming out hard. I'm glad I bought these wheels before upgrading the fork- if it was the other way around, my stock wheel might have taco'ed. These Aeroheats are stiff as hell, still perfectly true after 3mos, and I haven't experienced any lateral flexing as some others have. And there's definitely better out there within the same performance range, but none as cool looking as these!

Favorite Trail:   Hunter Mtn

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Deore/Mavic 217 (stock stuff).

Bike Setup:   '04 Fisher Advance, LX shifter, XT derailleurs, FSA/SRAM drivetrain, Fire XC Pro tires.

Submitted by Steveo a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    light, price, durability

Weaknesses:    stiffness

Bottom Line:
Got these as a second set for some racing while I waited to get new rims laced up. Been riding these since. Nice smooth spin, great weight, super durability. My only nit would be that they do flex a bit more than the old 3x wheels but they have been able to take a lot of abuse xcountry including rock gardens, small drops, etc.