Bontrager Superstock Wheelset

3.71/5 (34 Reviews)
Weight : 855/1120 grams <br>(fr/rr) MSRP : $249.00

• 24/28 hole design; OSB feature in rear minimizes dish and provides extra strength
  • Hubset utilizes forged shell with hardened, ground and polished cones and races, and Cro-moly axles; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness; hubs are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available from your local Bontrager dealer
  • Rims are welded for superior strength and machined for smooth braking
  • Bontrager Race Mtn Cro-moly skewers included

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by mattmania a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Strong, light (enough), troublefree

Weaknesses:    Never had a problem in 11 years of hard (eg..Pisgah, Bull Mountain) hardtail riding.

Bottom Line:
    I have replaced just about everything on my bike aside from the frame and this wheelset, and broken several bones riding, yet these wheels are surprisingly still true and the hubs spin freely. Mostly GA Mts and Western NC - roots, rockgardens, etc...My weight goes from 155-162 so I'm no clydesdale, so maybe I'm a light rider - but I feel pretty blessed to still have this nice wheelset that came stock with my 2002 Trek 6700 (they downgraded the wheelset after that year I believe, and added disk brakes).

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest

Purchased At:   Pedal Power, Stone M

Similar Products Used:   Alexrims (model??) 29er

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 hardtail, Rockshox soloair fork, Shimano XTR and Raceface chainrings

Submitted by bigiffer a Weekend Warrior from Manchester

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    They have never let me down

Weaknesses:    None after 10 years

Bottom Line:
    10 years down the line. 195lb rider. Wheels still true, rear needs a little tuning. Amazing value and no complaints.Going to upgrade to disc soon and will certainly look at what Bontrager has to offer again.

Similar Products Used:   My first and only mtb wheelset

Bike Setup:   Stock Gary Fisher Kaitai 2000.At he time the same frame was being used for the Kaitai and Big Sur(Genisis) Deore and lx with Obsidian Cranks and Bontrager Superstock wheels was the better deal.

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2009

Strengths:    Look sharp

Weaknesses:    Wear markers on rim, rim fatigue

Bottom Line:
    In defense of Bontrager I'd just like to say I do endurance training...25 milers on pavement or bike paths...and about 2,000 miles/year. I'm on my second set of these now and about 3 years into this set. Each set had the same problems. The wear markers (small holes in the rim about 2" from the valve stem hole)become exposed and cause the engaged brakepad to grab the wheel at each revolution, almost throwing you off the bike. And within months of the wear marker issue one or both sides of the rim will fatigue (widening the out to out rim width on one spot but not at the wear marker location strangely enough). The fatigue causes the rim to rub against the unengaged brakepads and each revolution creates more heat on the rim, which causes even more rim fatigue.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2001 Gary Fisher Paragon, Specialized Hemisphere tires

Submitted by Roelof Mol a Racer from Utrecht

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Nice looks

Weaknesses:    My rear wheel sudenly broke down (a 7 inch crack on the edge) today after 1.5 years of easy use (approx. 6000 kilometers) on a normal good quality road.

Bottom Line:
    Nice wheels, with nice performance, however, one broke down without a good reason. I assume this is due to a failure of the product itself since my use does not explain the break down. Tomorrow, I will send this rear wheel to my provider to be judged.

Purchased At:   was mounted on TREK bicycle

Bike Setup:   These wheels are standard on the European TREK T500 hybrid bicycle, which is ment primarily for use on normal road.

Submitted by XC Rider a Cross Country Rider from Morgantown WV

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2006

Strengths:    Very Strong Rims,good back-up wheelset

Weaknesses:    I can't explain how bad these hubs are...I had to get them serviced all the time. They are really bad if you ride where there is a lot of mud. Also the things are pretty heavy,but for the price I guess that can be expected

Bottom Line:
    If you buy this wheelset stay away from mud. They might be nice if you don't mind the weight and ride on hardpacked trail

Similar Products Used:   XT hub on Sun 0 degree rims

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, mostly XT with Black super air fork

Submitted by Mike Sobie a Cross Country Rider from Menasha, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    well built. black=plus. stronger. lighter than some tires.

Weaknesses:    rear hub came loose, also started making loud rattling, scratching noise everytime I ride more then ten miles.

Bottom Line:
    I ride around thirty miles a week on road and single track. I do some jumps through out the trails which probably leads to the messed up rear hub and cranking noise. i like the fact that they are black and have less spokes. It makes them look a lot nicer. (to me) well, to me the rims are fine if you dont mess them up by jumping and such. I will probably replace the wheels with a newer set of bontrager selects. well that is all.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbush Purple

Purchased At:   Milhaupt Auction (came on bike)

Bike Setup:   2001 Gary Fisher Big Sur-Shimano Deore/Deore LX components. Marzocchi bomber shocks. Bontrager Wheel Set and other Bontrager parts. Shimano SPD pedals. Packs and other stuff.

Submitted by Johnny Pockets a Racer from Palos Hills, IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, but so is an anvil! These wheels, along with the Bontrager Jones tires, are like driving the big foot monster truck over mud. If you are looking for a descent wheelset for relativily flat and sometimes muddy or gravel riding, these are a good candidate.

Weaknesses:    If you do a lot of steep climbs, and would like to cruize up the climbs like a goat - these are not for you. Bontrager Super Sport/Bontrager Jones Combos - If you are planning on racing in any class, you better consider the fact that even average frustrated chumps will have a better wheelset/tire combo that will offer a ton less weight and rolling resistance. If you already bought these things like myself, keep them in the car for the off-chance that rain strikes the course! Perhaps one day I will get to throw them on and watch others with race tires fall into the trees in switchbacks and crack their skulls.

Bottom Line:
    They take a beating, and thats exactly what I am going to give them! Still true after 300 miles of pounding @ 195lbs riding weight! Do a sanity check on the weight. If I could do it over again, i would have coughed up the loot for a lighter wheel up front. UNDERSTAND ROTATIONAL WEIGHT AND ROLLING RESISTANCE OF YOUR WHEELS AND TIRES BEFORE YOU PURCHASE - Yeotch! someimtes a 2lb difference can feel like 6lbs riding!

Favorite Trail:   3 ravines

Purchased At:   Spokes in Wheaton (don't go there)

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Max SL / Hutchinson Phythons

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC II Hardtail/ XTR/XT / SD7s / Time ATAC MTBs, SID SL fork / Race Face Prodigy :( / Mavic MAX SL wheelset / Hutchinson Python tires

Submitted by Ray Jay a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Rock Solid

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest

Bottom Line:
    Wheels came with the Sugar 4. So far they have been rock solid. I have had no hub problems. Considering the beating I give them, it is very hard to believe I still have not had to true them. Rugged. I recommend them.

Favorite Trail:   50 year

Purchased At:   Oro Valley Bicycle

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2004

Strengths:    Have held up well. In over two seasons of use, I've trued them once.

Weaknesses:    Don't know much about hubs, but mine can't be adjusted. No broken spokes, no pinch flats.

Bottom Line:
    Great wheels. If you've found a good deal on them and they are light enough for you, go for them. My bike is a shade under 27lb I think and GF put these on it. I'm going to try and go lighter with my next set of wheels but only if the price is right.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith

Purchased At:   Came with my bike.

Similar Products Used:   '03 Bontrager Select

Bike Setup:   '00 Gary Fisher Sugar / avid v-brakes

Submitted by Kevin Pruitt a Racer from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    Weight low for the price. Looks good with my tires and set-up.

Weaknesses:    Front axel already came loose. Busted a brass nipple on the rear wheel while flying over some rocky terrain.

Bottom Line:
    Stays true, despite the two problems mentioned. Removed the bright yellow stickers. Looks more expensive. Overall, I like the performance for the cost. Solid responce on the turns. I like the radial lacing on front and cross lacing on drive side for the rear wheel.

Favorite Trail:   McAllister

Purchased At:   Bike World

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Stock wheels that came with bike.

Bike Setup:   Old school Trek 7000 ZX Aluminum. Manitou Mars 01 suspension. Just the frame and seatpost are original. Bontrager Race X on front and Jones AC on rear.

Submitted by Jason Plocek a Cross Country Rider from Mishawaka

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Strengths:    These wheels look super nice, the black is very cool. Price was also a good factor.

Weaknesses:    I have only rode these wheels 4 or 5 times as they are my backup set. When I have ridden them there is a great deal of rim/ pad noise, almost sounds like a hiss or a scratching noise???? I have noticed that the machined sidewalls are very deep and that may be the cause? I have used scotch brite cleaning pads to take a bit of the surface down on the sidewall, but not much luck here. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOME

Bottom Line:
    If I can get the noise to stop these are a nice set of wheels for what I paid, however, the next set will be back to mavic's.

Similar Products Used:   I have never ridden anything but mavic before these wheels.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAAD4, all components XTR, except crank which is Race Face turbine LP

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Ile Perrot, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    pretty tough for entry level x/c wheelset, sweet looks, good acceleration

Weaknesses:    there's quite a bit of flex at times and apparently they're heavy (they're the best wheels i've ridden on so i couldn't say)

Bottom Line:
    Basically, id say that these wheels are worth keeping if u own one of the several trek and GF bikes that had this set stock. They're also worth buying if they can be had for cheap. Compared to other wheels in the price range, these seem to perform well and i've only trued the front after my GF went straight into a curb. I ride mostly X/C, but my trails get fairly technical and ive taken the wheels off a 3 1/2 foot drop w/o any problems. I've been quite happy with these wheels during the past 2 years and i recomend them to anyone who does cross country or very light freeride. 5 value chilis cuz they're cheap, 4 chilis cuz they do everything a mid level X/C rim is supposed to.

Favorite Trail:   the sandpits

Purchased At:   came stock w/ my trek 6700

Similar Products Used:   weinman ZAC-19(absolute sh*t), department store garbage

Bike Setup:   2001 trek 6700, stock except marzocchi mx comp w/eta, THE fenders, and a lizard skin, lol

Submitted by Bryce Packard a Cross Country Rider from Springville, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    Havn't needed to true the wheel yet. Havn't had any real troubles. Cheap suckers. Beginner friendly.

Weaknesses:    There heavy, not really good for racing. Lower end of Bontragers wheelsets.

Bottom Line:
    There good for a beginner, if your racing I would go with something else. Good wheels, cheap, but they work.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher, Sugar. With lots of STYLE

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Pocono Mt

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, very stiff and durable. Solid rims for braking. Very reasonable price.

Weaknesses:    Quick release is not the best.

Bottom Line:
    I am very happy with the performance of these rims. Came stock on a Trek 6700. No problems with the hubs so far, more than 100 rides on the rims, only one minor adjustment. They look great and ride great. I bought a second set on Ebay for $150 and put them on my Full susp. bike last month and so far so good. Considering the price I like these rims much better than the Mavic's in this price range.