Bontrager Select Wheelset

3.79/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 780/1045 grams <br>(fr/rr) MSRP : $279.00

• 24/28 hole design with OSB rear rim is engineered to provide enough stiffness for any size rider
  • Hubset utilizes forged shell with hardened, ground and polished cones and races, and Cro-moly axles; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness
  • Hubs are fully serviceable and replacement parts are available at your local Bontrager dealer
  • Bontrager Race Mtn Cro-moly skewers included

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by XCrider a Cross Country Rider from Powassan

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light, good looking , fast

Weaknesses:    After a year of riding, I noticed my tires began to rub against my frame. Brought my bike into my shop to get fixed and found out my hub was warped. (Thru- Axel became loose). The mechanic reconmend I get new wheels, since a rebuild is expensive.

Bottom Line:
    I absolutley love my bike, however the wheels have been a real pain. I'm sure if I checked thru- axel tightness, this problem would have been delayed. Wished the hubs were higher end to go with the other parts on the bike

Bike Setup:   2005 Trek 8000 (XT rear, LX front, Duke Race fork)

Submitted by xtr_trek a Racer from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    These are great rims. Great hubs too. Came on my Trek 8000 and I have carried them over to my KHS XC team. About a year ago I accidentally backed ALL THE WAY OVER THE REAR RIM WITH A DODGE NEON. They are still TRUE!!!!!!!! Enough said!

Weaknesses:    Super strong
    Super light

Bottom Line:
    Get em.

Purchased At:   Came stock on Trek 8

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117 (mavics were about a pound heavier)

Bike Setup:   KHS XC Team, XTR, XTR, XTR, XTR, XTR, XTR, etc....

Submitted by andy ormerod a Racer from kendal, Cumbria

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2005

Strengths:    great looks, strength

Weaknesses:    the cones wear out very quick, when i got a new freehub, it needed bigger bearings, but i only realised this when two of the bearings shattered allowing the wheel to move +/- i inch in either direction and wrecked the races, bye, bye rearwheel. Make sure you check the size of the bearings you need in a new freehub, they may not be the same size as original freehub

Bottom Line:
    very strong, reliable, good looking, stayed perfectly true, took numerous heavy rock hits, and very good value (until the bearnig problem) the disc rotor bolt holes are open backed so it doesn't matter if you use rotor bolts taht are slightly too long (many hope hubs have a closed back whish means if you use a bolt slightly too long, when you tighten it up you can crack the side of the bolt hole off!!) they are light enough for light competition xc races, and strong enough for most freeride.

Favorite Trail:   karrimor at coed-y-brenin

Similar Products Used:   shimano m575, zac 2000, mavic crossland

Bike Setup:   trek 6500, shimano xt four pot front and rear, lx ahifters, xt front and rear deraileurs, bontrager race x lite seatpost and riser

Submitted by Johnathan from Waterloo, Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    Strong
    Reliable
    Still True after lots of harsh riding

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
    These wheels are still true even though I took my bike to agressive singletrack. Throughout the 9 months I have owned them, I haven't had to true them. The hubs are very reliable, and they were in fine form everytime I checked its innards.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Dillsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    This wheelset it fairly lightweight and very durable.

Weaknesses:    Not disc-ready.

Bottom Line:
    I have had no problems whatsoever with this wheelset. I ride in some really gnarly, technical terrain and they have held up fine. They are light too so you can race with these wheels! Good job Keith! This is an excellent wheelset!

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Purchased At:   Came stock on 2003 Trek Fuel 90

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 90 with IRC Mythos XC 2.1 kevlar tires and Kool Stop MTB (salmon and black) brake pads.

Submitted by Otto a Cross Country Rider from Frisco, CO

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Strong wheelset, long life, relatively lightweight.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side and ffront wheel flexes a little bit.

Bottom Line:
    This is a good wheelset considering the price and he weight. A good choice for someone who will be a little more rough to thier wheels and not just racing because these a a little bit beefier.

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Crappy bontrager rims

Bike Setup:   '02 Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from East Islip NY USA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2003

Strengths:    lightweight design is great in theory

Weaknesses:    the whole radial laced low spoke count thing gives me the chills, In addition to the spokes after a summer of riding The rear hub broke and now wobbles slightly causing the chain to skip when high tension is on it

Bottom Line:
    These wheels are alright for about 2 months of serious riding. my reccomendation to you is get a new wheelset as soon as you can afford to if you plan on riding seriously because these bontrager wheels will lead you to a world of problems.

Favorite Trail:   Stilwell

Purchased At:   came stock on my 02 Trek 8000

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, sun rims

Bike Setup:   XTR rear deraileur, chris king headset king wheelset with mavic 517 rims

Submitted by Sprocketeer a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Very light, and considering that, they are exceptionally strong, rigid wheels. I haven't had to true them yet after riding about 1200 miles on them in 8 months.

From the very first ride on my new bike on which these came stock I've been having cascading Bontrager component failures--even the saddle if you can believe that--but the rims on these things and the overall wheel design are totally sweet. I'm glad these came stock because I wouldn't have selected them myself if I were building the bike. Awesome wheels for the money.

Also, they clean up like new with a hose and a frame brush even if you moderately neglect and abuse them (somehow I keep forgetting to clean up my wheels when I clean the rest of the bike after a ride).

Weaknesses:    The hubs don't spin well at all--many riders recommend keeping the rims, dumping the hubs, and replacing them with Phil Woods (reasonable) or Chris King (expensive) hubs, and I agree completely, though only for people who ride a great amount. Most people probably don't need to think about this.

Mine came with Bontrager something-something tires, which are good on gravel and sand, but horrible in any kind of mud (but this isn't a tire review).

Bottom Line:
    These are the best rims I've ever used and the spokes are fine--both hold up to a considerable amount of abuse cross-country. However, the hubs are a tide-you-over-til-you-get-decent-replacement parts. Wheel sets are expensive, so I don't go rebuilding them all the time, but this time I'm going to have to change the hubs because they just don't preform well.

I'm speedy, so I need the hubs to be speedy too. Right now, the hubs are the weak link between leg power--or even gravity--and forward motion. When I buy a bike that's billed as a 'racing bike' or 'competition bike' I expect to get race or competition level parts at least in the most essential areas, and these hubs are not it. Get cheap on the bars, stem, post, and saddle, but give me a good drivechain and good hubs for my money.

As far as lateral stiffness goes though, I have to say I haven't experienced any problems at all on hard turns even at high speed. The stiffness of this setup makes up for the slide through I have to do on muddy turns with those Bontrager tires--soon to be replaced with Panacer Fire XC. In this repect these wheels are completely reliable and outperform other wheelsets I've used or demoed in this price range.

I'll give them four flaming chilis because essentially they're a good buy and most people riding for fun wont fret about the hubs. This is a good wheelset if your anything short of an endurance, long distance, and or very fast rider.

Plenty of bang for your buck.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough an' dirty baby!

Purchased At:   Came stock on my 2002 Trek 8000

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 8000 bought as a stock bike but now with Shimano 959 pedals, Shimano XT bottom bracket and XT crank (172.5 mm arms to replace the stock 175mm Bondy crank), Bontrager Race Lite titanium rail with gel insert saddle (actually manufactured by Selle San Marco--Viva Italia!), titanium skewers, and do-dads like a handlebar compass (indespensible) and Titec ski bends.

Submitted by jmoh a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, IA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Strengths:    Good looking, light weight

Weaknesses:    some free hub problems

Bottom Line:
    I have only had these things trued one time in 6 months and I have given them a pretty good beating. I took them off my wife's Sugar 3+ because she had a lighter hand-built set. I had some freehub concerns while in Moab. The slickrock will tear things up though. I weigh about 220 in riding gear so I have been pleased so far. I would buy them again.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Similar Products Used:   crosslinks, LX, XT

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Isis, Fox Vanilla 100 RL

Submitted by Sarah a Racer from Pittsburg, KS

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    True, true, true

Weaknesses:    Freehub issues if not taken apart and loved with grease regularly

Bottom Line:
    Sent to me by Trek as replacements for my Superstocks, am truly happy with them. Have raced almost every weekend since August '01, and am astounded they stay true. I weigh 150 lbs though, and do mostly XC racing. They are most desirable and deliver technical happiness. For the money (you can find them at a bargain, look around) they are lightweight and quality wheels. Remember when reading other reviews that most truing/hub issues are traceable to the original shop setting the wheels up incorrectly. If needed though, Trek will replace parts easily.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Den, AR

Similar Products Used:   Superstocks

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 modified

Submitted by taylor a Cross Country Rider from amherst MA

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    uhh they look good...i got them for free for whatever thats worth

Weaknesses:    horrible hubs...i got these after the hubs on the bontrager race wheelset bit the dust...they also are really flexy and come untrue easily

Bottom Line:
    i havent had good luck with any bontrager rims i've ridden...im buying mavic crossrocs now, hopefully those will hold up better...

Purchased At:   laughing dog bikes