Bontrager Rhythm Pro TLR Disc 29 Wheelset

2.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• 28mm wide rim provides better tire support
  • Scandium aluminum alloy rim keeps weight low
  • Compatible with all tubeless and tubeless ready tires available

Submitted by eric_syd a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight strong rim with fantastic Tubeless system

Weaknesses:    Freehub body. Broken two already. seems to be exactly what the two other reviewers are complaining about.

Bottom Line:
I'm heavy (110kg) and I was worried about the strength of these wheels before buying them but I could not find a rider's limit and I must say, I have had them for 2 years now and they strong an true. The TLR system is fantastic. Inflated right away. Never looked back. These wheels could have been a dream come true for me but for the freehub body. In steep climbs, when torque is too high, the paws just break. I changed mine myself so I could look at the damages. The shop told me the new design was stronger. I think they have just improved the seals, nothing else. One year later, same circumstances, same issue. Note to previous reviewers, riding style is just an excuse, the torque on the hub (pawls) is only related to your weight, slope grade and acceleration, whatever the gear. On a larger cog, you would just be able to generate more torque, not less.
I'm going to buy a hope Pro hub and relace them. I hope I can build them as strong.
Recommended for light weight only...

Submitted by hoobuba a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2010

Strengths:    very light, stiff, durable, tubeless rims work great, responsive.

Weaknesses:    For some reason I have bad luck with parts. This time it was the freewheel. When engaging to full stroke from freewheeling or just after shifting, I would hear sharp cracking sound like smack on the frame with hammer. My suspicion was bottom bracket but the rear hub was the fault (guy from Recycled Cycles identified that).
Long story short - the spring of the 3-pawl system was not working correctly so just two of the pawls were engaging and pressing against the hub.
I have ridden about 150 miles on the hub when this started to happen. Let me know if you run in the same issue. I can help.
Here are pictures of damage to the axle after 150 miles:

Bottom Line:
Great wheels, poor pawl spring design/quality control? I do not know, I would not expect this to happen on new wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Knob

Purchased At:   Part of component se

Similar Products Used:   XT hubs

Bike Setup:   Mrazek BOH-FX

Submitted by dapellegrini a Weekend Warrior from Kingston, MA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very light weight and fast.

Weaknesses:    I have broken four hubs in the past 18 months. Gary Fisher/Trek has replaced all of them including labor, but now I am being told to think about my style of riding because I may be pedaling too hard uphill and I am being told that I should perhaps be in a lower gear. (I currently use second or third gear on most steep hills - rarely first gear because of skidding out.)

Bottom Line:
I am considering an alternative hub. Based on my experience, I do not recommend the Bontrager hub for a strong rider. It may be fine for street riding or it may be the perfect light weight hub for a rider under 180 lbs. and not too strong in the legs, but not for a 220 lb. weightlifter.

Favorite Trail:   Wompatuck State Park

Purchased At:   Martha's Bikes, Plym

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 340 hub. Shimano Deore XT. Heavier, but no breakdown of components observed.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Superfly from factory with carbon frame and 29 inch Bontrager Rhythm Pro TLR scandium wheel set, Avid Ultimate Juicy hydraulic brakes. SRAM derailleur (absolutely flawless).