Bontrager Rhythm Elite TL Disc 26 Wheelset

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 822 grams

• Alloy locking nipples
  • 28mm wide rim
  • Top of the range all day performance

Submitted by E-ROG a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Light, Strong, Amazing for tires 2.1 & bigger.
The comparability with QR & Thru Axel is the best in the business.

Weaknesses:    The silver is good.
Color options would be sweet: Blue , Red, Green??

Bottom Line:
Top of the line wheels.
TLR is top notch.
Best suited for aggressive XC & AM riding (& even some Freeride).

Favorite Trail:   Snowmass Mtn.

Duration Product Used:   1 yr

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic
Sun Ringle
DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy

Submitted by grootif a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2010

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Rear hub is awful, it has tons of side to side slop, twists enough to cause the rear rotor to rub when under a lot of force. freehub stinks too, skips, and pops.

Bottom Line:
These wheels would be sweet if Bontrager could fix the rear hub. The rear hub slop is bad enough to cause the rim to move 1/4" either direction. At first I though that I may have gotten a lemon, so I bought a new rear hub from Bontrager, paid to have the wheel re-laced only to find out that the new whell was just as bad, actually worse becuse the freehub body is screwed up. Bontrager says that the side to side movement is "normal".....I have never had a whell do this before. MSRP for these is $699....I expect something much better for that kind of money. I have since replaced the wheel with a DT Swiss 340XC.....what a step up!

Favorite Trail:   All ove AZ

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   DT swiss, Mavic, Shimano

Bike Setup:   2009 GF Roscoe 3, mostly stock set up

Submitted by cdale1963 a Cross Country Rider from Landenberg

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2009

Strengths:    Wow after looking for so long for a strong, light durable wheelset I found it. I have specialized tires and they went right on and sealed instantly, not sure if i even needed the Stans. These wheels are strong and so far they are still true and have not flatted. i think the wider rim is partly the sevret but the wheelset is spot on.

Weaknesses:    What can I say after talking about the strengths...there are no weaknesses that I have experienced. 28 spokes works fine and the wider rim is awesome!

Bottom Line:
For cross country riding these are great wheels. i also plan on racing with them. i cant imagine someone not being happy with this wheelset.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill

Purchased At:   Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Mavix and other wheelsets but these i am most happy with.

Bike Setup:   Voodoo sobo, x9 xt cranks.

Submitted by kevmortensen a Downhiller from El Cajon, CA.

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2009

Strengths:    On the lighter side of a do it all wheel set
DT swiss hubs are flawless, quick engagement

Weaknesses:    on teh heavier side

Bottom Line:
These wheels come on a heavily upgraded Trek 6500 that I purchased used off of MTBR classifieds. I have had them for 6 months so far and I love them. They are light enough for climbing, and are seeming to hold together rather well while being abused. I have taken them down anderson more than a dozen times, on the hardtail and the full suser, have stayed very true, You might notice just a little flex on off camber landings, other than that, i have no reservations on recomending these wheels for anything from cross country to light freeride. I weigh in at 210, so I know how to beat up wheels. These were a pleasant suprise.

Favorite Trail:   Thats a secret

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   sun ryno lights, mavic crossmax, mavic 6500

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL, Mix of xtr & xt groupset, Talas 32 fork, rythem elite wheels

Submitted by epicriderat a Weekend Warrior from Newbury Park

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, good tubeless system

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
About six rides on this wheelset so far, and I think they are great. Feels strong and is a respectable weight for the money. A five year warranty is nice too. This is my first tubeless wheelset and the set up was simple with the included rim strip, they beaded up and held air no problem. I'm not running UST tires, I have the standard Nevegal 2.3 front and rear with Stan's juice and so far no problem. The bike sat unused for the past week and I figured they would lose a little air. But to my surprise when I checked today it was still at 28 psi. I also like the 28mm wide rims because it gives the tire a fatter profile, makes the 2.3's look huge. If your looking for a good reasonable price wheelset, that seems to have the warranty to back them and is a solivalue. Then I would recommend looking at these.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Shimano,WTB,and Hope wheelsets

Bike Setup:   2008 Intense Tracer medium frame, Marzocchi al mtn. SL 160mm fork, Hope M4 brakes, XTR cranks, Sram XO shifters & Der., Thomson stem, Crank Bros. Joplin, Easton bars.

Submitted by David_315 a Weekend Warrior from greenfield wi

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2008

Strengths:    light tubeless very strong hubs are made by DT Swiss. I think there DT swiss 370 hubs from what i could find about them.

Bottom Line:
I really was not sure what i was going to think about the rims i have been riding 32 spoke rims for 6years. I did not think with my body wight i could do 28 spoke. but there holding up really good i like the tubeless part its my 1st tubeless rim and i love it. very little flex.

Submitted by Givemepeppers a Cross Country Rider from Moscow

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Great price, rim width lets you run whatever tire you want, tubeless compatible, light for type of wheel, Bontrager quality, no frills just dependable, solid stuff

Weaknesses:    Non tubeless tires are a bit hard to sit on the rim correctly, but nothing too annoying, rear hub could engage a little quicker

Bottom Line:
These are pretty sweet wheels, they are relatively cheap, at least I bought them for cheap, they are sturdy, and are light, only 20 some grams heavier than the race lites. They are wide, so you can run just about any size tire you want, the hubs are just fine, they aren't kings or white's but the engagement isn't horrible, def, better than the the shimano's I upgraded from. If you are looking for an upgraded wheelset that isn't too expensive these are it. I am very happy of the purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden

Purchased At:   B and L

Bike Setup:   Spesh M5 Epic, BB7, xt stuff

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2007

Strengths:    Strong! Wide. Stays true. TLR

Weaknesses:    The hubs take a few more degrees of rotation to engage than my last set (Sun) but I'm so used to it now it's a non-issue

Bottom Line:
Great wheels! I have 1500 miles on them and have had no issues. They are as true today as when I bought them. I run tubeless with the supplied plastic rim strip. The system works really well with Bonty Revolt X TLR 2.2 and Jones ACX TLR 2.2 tires. The bead holds well and I haven't had any burps. I weigh 205# and I've tried to kill these things but they just soak it up.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback (RIP)

Purchased At:   Oliver's