Bontrager Rhythm Comp TL Disc 26 Wheelset

• 6061 series aluminum rim
  • Butted j-bend spokes

Submitted by amrgb a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2008

Strengths:    Light (a tad over 1900g) considering how strong they are (or appear to be). Nice rim width.

Weaknesses:    I could use a bit more engagement points. It has only 15. I'm not asking for the 70+ of Chris King or I9 hubs, but just 30ish would make a big difference.

Bottom Line:
These wheels came stock with my Remedy 8. So I can't comment on how good they are relatively to the price paid.

The other reviewer almost said it all. Light weight for a AM wheel with a wide rim width. It's just a shame that it has so little engagement points. The freehub is a little noisier than usual, but nothing compared to a Chris King or, God forbid, a Hope Pro II.

In the past month I've went fast through the gnarliest lines full of roots and dropped 3 feet to slope (but my landing technique is in its infancy, so heavier on the wheels), and the wheels are true. Today I landed while turning my front wheel and, surprise surprise, I went over the bars. I was going pretty fast and so I expected to see the consequences of my inability on the wheel. No, I got away with a true wheel. That amazed me. I was considering getting another set of wheels (Mavic 721's, around 2100-2200g) for my freeride days and save these for trailriding, but after today I don't know if I really need it. I guess I'll keep using these ones for everything and see what they can take. Probably more than what I initially thought based on its weight.

The 5 year warranty is just a cherry on top of the cake.

I'll give the same value rating as the overall rating, since I don't know for how much these sell for. It's going to a be a 5.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select Disc, which are also pretty good. AM worthy wheels, these are my first ones.

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 8.

Submitted by Znarf a Weekend Warrior from Karlsruhe

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    This wheelset is really nice, works VERY well with either tubeless tires, normal stires without tubes (and a bit of sealant) or with tubes. The wheels are really light, yet very stiff. So far they hold up great, I do some 1-2feet drops to tranny, gnarly trails. They are still true...

Weaknesses:    Color may or may not appeal to you.

Bottom Line:
If you´re in the market for some new wheels. Don´t hesitate, get them. As they have one of the best width to lightweight ratios on the market. Combined with a relatively moderate price and they even come with a five year warranty!

Greetings Znarf