Bontrager Racelite Tubeless Wheelset

3.62/5 (29 Reviews)
Weight : 640/840 grams <br>(fr/rr) MSRP : $699.00

• Lightweight and race proven – Race Lite wheels feature OSB rear rim design, and the Bontrager Tubeless sealing system, which can be used with either standard tires with tubes or with a wide range of tubeless tire
  • Rims are welded for superior strength, machined for smooth braking, and ceramic coated to eliminate sidewall wear-through
  • Features OSB in the rear, which further reduces dish and is engineered to provide enough stiffness for even the most abusive riders
  • Hubs are Swiss made, fully serviceable, triple sealed, cartridge bearing design which uses aluminum axles and a star ratchet system in the rear; KB's HiLo ATB rear hub design ensures excellent spoke bracing angles for improved lateral wheel stiffness – aluminum freehub body should be used with aluminum bodied cassettes
  • Spokes are superlight 14/17G butted stainless steel with alloy locking nipples; J-bend type allows for replacement with any standard 14G spoke in a pinch
  • Bontrager Race Lite Mtn titanium skewers included

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by cannondalemtb65 a Racer from PA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Nice wheels, pretty light, strong, tubeless set up took about 10 minutes for both wheels, look sweet

Weaknesses:    No that i found

Bottom Line:
    These are great wheels very fast rolling. I ride pretty aggresive cross county, and i weight about 185-195 lbs and have had no trouble with them bending or poping at all. The tubeless kit when in buttery smooth and has me rolling fast with no worries about pinch flats. Great wheels would recomend them if you don't want to spend over a grand on wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Mihuax State Forest

Purchased At:   Came on my top fuel

Similar Products Used:   mavic crosslands, stan's 355's

Bike Setup:   Trek top fuel 8, mavic crossmax sl wheelset, xt crank, full slx

Submitted by AsianPersuasion a Cross Country Rider from Queens, NY

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, light, nice engagement.

Weaknesses:    Installing tires.

Bottom Line:
    I have taken these wheels through hell. They have eaten rocks, jumps, drops, stairs, getting stepped on, and other inhumane situations. They have been on various trails at various pressures and done a stint on commuter bike with slicks. They have held up admirably, never having to be trued once in 3 plus years. One of the lighter wheels on the market so a great choice for xc bikes and gram counters.
    So why do they frustrate me so much. CHANGING TIRES!!! They were fine when I ran the tubeless. But then I went to tubes. OH MY GOD!!! Broke two sets of tire irons getting them on. Figured the tires will break in and stretch. NEVER! Changed tires, broke more tire irons!
    Having a heck of a time getting them to sit right. Have to get them on, fill the tire to 75+psi, allow it "POP" into place, and deflate them to proper pressure. A lot of work. Always afraid the tire itself would actually explode, damaging my pretty face or my eardrums. I usually pump them up and leave them in another room. Seriously could not imagine getting a flat on the trail. I dread the day that happens and will probably be the reason I finally toss them into the dumpster.
    My rating is for strength to weight ratio. Value goes down for the costs of tire irons and since time is money, the time required to mount tires.

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham (for now)

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax, Various Mavic builds, American Classics

Bike Setup:   Dean Ace Ti

Submitted by bikefx a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    Light, conventional design and parts = easily serviceable.

Weaknesses:    TOO DIFFICULT to install tires! We (bike shop) tried to change the tires on a set and the owner of the shop who in his 18years in the business has only broken 1 tire lever, broke about 5 levers changing tires on this single wheelset and took him 1.5hrs! Used talc pwdr, water etc. And they still couldnt hold air!

Bottom Line:
    Horrible and absolutely unacceptable product. The Bontrager Race X Lite should not exist. Period.

Submitted by roroman a Cross Country Rider from mexico

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    after 1 year of riding and as a race novice, thay have taken my abuse very well(until the front rim became an 8)my bad. with the proper amount of tire sealant I have never had a flat. I use maxxis larsens

Weaknesses:    the black coating gets scratched easily.

Bottom Line:
    after my latest trail crash the front rim gave up on me.
    I have just ordered the same rim and will do it again.

Favorite Trail:   marin

Similar Products Used:   lower end bontragers

Bike Setup:   trek 6 series xtr cranks, pike air 20mm fork

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Very light and Very Strong.

Weaknesses:    Have to buy another set for disc.

Bottom Line:
    This is a similar review that I posted in another section since my exact model is not listed.

I have a set of the Bontrager Race X lite tubeless wheelset that came stock on my fully XTR equipped top of the line Trek Fuel 100.

I installed Maxxis 310 tires and converted to tubeless with stans sealant. Wheels already came with tubeless rimstrips and valves.

Dropped close to a pound per wheel of rotating mass... AWESOME.

I'm a big guy, weigh close to 270lbs, and was very weary of riding these light weight wheels, let alone a very light bike with my heavy six foot frame.

These wheels and the bike have held up for years, never needing to be trued (much to my surprise), and roll as smoothly as the first day I got em, to this day.

I ride mostly street, but on the few occasions that I went off-road, even with my skinny MTB Maxxis 310 tires, these wheels have held up to some serious rock pounding and jumps.

The front wheel is radialy laced, and I was sure I would taco is my first ride. NOPE!
    The rear is radial laced none-drive side, and an "offset" cross 2 pattern on the drive side.

This wheelset is for rim brakes, but now I'm looking to get a similar disc wheelset from Bontrager for my All-Mountain bike.

Cheaper and made in the US, unlike some of the competition from foo-foo France, and cheap Asia.
    5 Stars !!!

Similar Products Used:   Shimano XT WH-M765, others.

Bike Setup:   Maxxis 310's converted to tubeless with stans on a Trek Fuel Carbon 100.

Submitted by Stefan Aichele a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo, ON, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Very light and strong wheel set, I run them as tubeless wheels.

Weaknesses:    Mounting of tires is tough; use lots of soap and lots of muscle to seat tires.

Bottom Line:
    I love the wheels! They are fast, light and durable. I did not experience any leaking issues as described by other riders. Once I have a flat on the trail I might change my mind on the wheels since I cannot picture fixing the tubeless tire, seat the tire back on the rim and get air in them quickly enough with a mini pump.

Favorite Trail:   Adams Run

Similar Products Used:   Tune custom wheel set with Mavic rims.

Bike Setup:   2003 Salsa Bandito, SRAM XO Drivetrain, Race Face cranks, Thomson stem and post, Easton Monkey light handle bar, SLR seat, 2007 Fox RLC

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from WY

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    Light, very fast and strong. I have beat these wheels and they are still true and round. Won't use any other wheels again...

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    This wheelset is amazing for holding up to what I have put it through. Had Crossmax SL's before these and they were nothing but problems. Customer Service pretty much told me to pound sand!!! I will never change from my Race Lite tubeless wheels. Thank you for a great product Bontrager...

Similar Products Used:   Crossmax SL(junk and mavic customer support sux!!!!)

Bike Setup:   Fuel 98 full xtr.

Submitted by Rolf Sindoe a Cross Country Rider from Kolding, Denmark

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Quality, design, servicability, strength, weight.

Weaknesses:    None within reason.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this wheelset used on ebay almost a year ago and I would do the same again today. If I could afford it would surely also buy a new set of RaceLites. They take a lot of S##T due to my crappy riding technique and, still, they stay true. Only broke one, single spoke in the last year. The hubs are the true gems of the wheelset but the rims, they are almost service-free, and the lacing and the UST tape is a-okay. Very easy to service, you can quickfix a broken spoke w. a standard spoke. I acknowledge what is said in this forum about the front wheel flexing but the wheelset suits me fine, I sit down the most of the time, and there's no long and steep/technical demanding downhills in my country. I choose value rating to be 4 because I'm sure there must be better (stiffer, lighter) wheelsets out there. Overall is dead certain: High five!

Favorite Trail:   Skamlingsbanken

Similar Products Used:   Hügi/DT Swiss wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Scott RC30 w. Race Face, SRAM x.o., Easton and other stuff.

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from salt lake city, utah , usa

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    light and fast

Weaknesses:    crazy tough to rim tires

Bottom Line:
    Busted all 7 of my tire levers changing the Bontrager Revolt X UST's that came with these rims. Use lots of soapy water with these rims.....on the trail? HMMMMM...maybe in a hydration pack. You'd think they'd have devised a better marriage than tires that suck up each and every thorn with rims that fight your efforts to change them. 3 chilis because they are fast and light...just DON'T get a flat!

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   05 Klein Attitude XV stock

Submitted by Some Guy a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Flex in front wheel. Loud freewheel (might do it for other people, but I hate it).

Bottom Line:
    I bought this wheelset because I am racing my Rincon, which is far too heavy stock. The bontragers were fairly cheap, considering they had never been used and came with the original pair of UST tires.

After reading the reviews on here, I was worried I'd knock the wheels out of true within days. However I've had them for a while now, and they are still completely true. My only strength issue is the sideways flex on the front wheel thanks to the radial spoking. Would spoking it properly really have added that much weigh? Oh well.

The bottom line is if you can find one cheap, go for it. The US$700 listed price is just crazy though.

Purchased At:   other cyclist

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon, stock bar the Bontrager wheelset.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Hillside, Illinois

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Strengths:    Roll fast, true and smooth

Weaknesses:    Had to replace spokes, true once due to collision at finish shute

Bottom Line:
    I'm an old fart who just finished 3rd year of racing. I like this wheel set and tire combo. I spent more time in big ring this season than any past. The set up really flies. I have 1000 - 1500 miles on the wheel set. They were used for racing and training, including rock gardens in Colorado. They roll much faster than the Bonty Valiant XTR hub combo used last year. Very satisfied with the product. No complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Palos/Wors courses

Purchased At:   Stock on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 98 with upgrade to old xtr shifter rear derailleur. Michelin Comp S Light tubeless with Stan's

Submitted by Marcus a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks.
    Very fast rolling - makes my bike move fast.

Weaknesses:    Braking surface is disappearing too quickly. They are nearly impossible to fit / remove tyres to (unless you have several pairs of hands). Deflate very quickly (2 days, 40psi - 0psi).
    Bottom line is to fit tubes and forget - what's the point of buying tubeless?

Bottom Line:
    Not very good for something so costly.

Favorite Trail:   My sofa, my house