Bontrager Race Lite Wheelset

Bontrager Race Lite

Submitted by Zachariah a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    ~ Wide, 23mm ID rim
~ Tall hub flanges makes stronger wheel
~ Cool graphics and 28 white spokes, per wheel(subjective)
~ Bontrager TLR molded insert, more durable than NoTubes rim tape
~ Stays true
~ Beefy Scandium rim box section
~ Solid 142x12mm rear axle; 15mm Thru-axle front hubs

Weaknesses:    ~ Made in China
~ Heavy @2004g for wheelset
~ Slow freehub engagement
~ Loud freehub

Bottom Line:
The wheels accelerate slowly - but once up to speed, they hold momentum quite well. Put a foot down on rocky technical climbs, and re-starting becomes a pain, due to the non-instantaneous engagement of the freehub. These hubs are made by Formula, and are quite heavy. Bontrager claims 1765g for the wheelset - but that is ONLY for the QR version(100mm/F and 135mm/R) wheelset. However, the wide rim profile and semi-aero rim bed, does offer a degree of cornering control and rotating efficiency.

Don't pay more than $350 for these heavy wheels used. The 2013-up Bontrager RXL wheels are once again featuring convertible DT Swiss hubs, and optional carbon rims. Try to get a 29er wheelset that weighs below 1700g for the most significant performance benefit. These wheels are okay for the interim - but nothing to write home about...will be upgrading soon.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park (24Hrs of Adrenalin course)

Duration Product Used:   2 years

~ DT Swiss M1700 29er

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Superfly 100 Pro

Submitted by Misha a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2012

Strengths:    Low weight

Weaknesses:    Bend easily

Bottom Line:
I bought a used Trek 8000, from a cross country rider, who is terrified even by jumping from pavement. Checked the bike by myself and in a shop.

The front wheel bended when i was jumping over a rock (2 inches, NOT a drop), on a known trails where i ride for 5 years and never had any problems with Mavics on other bikes or on my friends bikes. I weigh 75 kg. Broken collar bone and 4 month without riding.

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 117, 317

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 original setup

Submitted by Jon Bainbridge a Cross Country Rider from Lorain Ohio

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Strengths:    Ok for almost 3-years

Weaknesses:    Found cracks around all rim spoke holes on the sorocket side.

Bottom Line:
Not happy with this product. I'am 69 years old and don't abuse my bike. Trying to see what Trek or Bontrager will do to help me.

Favorite Trail:   Rails to trail Metro Park

Purchased At:   Dales bike Shop Ober

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select 27000 milews no problem

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 5.0 Bontrager Race Wheels

Submitted by billh71@gmail.com a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2010

Strengths:    Tubeless, improved stiffness over stock wheelset on 08 Specialized FSRxc. Didn't weigh them but think they are a little lighter. Spin smooth.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to mount tire.

Bottom Line:
Only one trailride on them yet, and with tubes in. I look forward to trying them with tubeless setup. Non tubeless Captains sealed up well with Stans. No need for heavy UST. Look forward to a quality kevlar bead tire for even more weight loss. These wheels pedal and handle great. Feels more connected to my input. I got alot of extra value because I caught them on first hours of clearance at LBS. Scooped them up fast. I would have given them a higher overall if there were a more clear weight advantage over my stock rims. May not be fair. I don't know if tubeless wheels add weight for the design. I don't think I could have done better for $250.

Favorite Trail:   New Light

Similar Products Used:   DT Swiss 445 with Deore and stout hubs.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock FSRxc expert 2008. Used Stans sealant to convert wirebead stock Captains to tubeless.

Submitted by Todd23 a Cross Country Rider from Greendale, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, stays true with little maintenance

Weaknesses:    Some flex (although I am over 200 lbs!)

Bottom Line:
Nice, light wheel that has served me well for 7 years. I don't abuse my bike but I'm no pu$$y either. Rim finally started to crack, and one spoke started to pull through. Not bad for that long of a service life.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir

Purchased At:   OEM with '03 Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   '03 Fisher Sugar 1 Team

Submitted by Ride100Miles a Racer from Hudson Valley, NY

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2009

Strengths:    I have a set of Bonrager Race X-Lite road wheels that developed a cracked flange and hub shell. Bontrager's other aluminum rim road wheels have had problems with stress cracks on the rims near the spoke eyelets.

Since a cracked hub can lead to a crash and injury, I have initiated the product recall process with the Consumer Product Safety Commission. If you have also experienced cracked flanges, hub shells, or rims, especially if they lead to crash, email The CPSC or fill out a form online at:
info@cpsc.gov

With strength in numbers we'll get safer wheels on our bikes.

Weaknesses:    Everything but the spokes

Bottom Line:
Avoid Bontrager wheels at all costs.

Favorite Trail:   Traffic Free Roads

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Similar Products Used:   Vuelta XRP Comp, Shimano WH-R560, HED Jet

Bike Setup:   Road bike with ultegra
Carbon Fiber Time Trial

Submitted by mordecai113 a Racer from springfield, Illinois

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Strengths:    Sweet Hub, Smooth ride at high speeds, Very Aero.

Weaknesses:    After appx 18 months, was riding flat terrain. Real wheel came out of true. Had to quick release the brakes to get home. 6 of the spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel have developed stress cracks. This could have been potentially serious. Remains to be seen if Bontrager will replace. It is warranted. They need to recall these wheels. The bike shop knew exactly what was up the minute I went in..happened before.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend these wheels under any circumstances, even if they cover the warranty I will never be comfortable with them under me. These wheels need to be recalled

Favorite Trail:   Katy in Mo.

Purchased At:   Local Bike retailer

Similar Products Used:   vuelta

Bike Setup:   Lemond Buenos Aires 2007 Carbon/full Ultegra Shimano 500. Bontrager Race Lite Wheels/Hubs.

Submitted by dmj a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Had this product less than 2 years and as others noted - cracks everywhere. Do not buy. Contacted them and they basically told me, "Tough luck."

Bottom Line:
BAD Company

Submitted by bluealien a Weekend Warrior from las vegas, nv

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    They're: Light, spin up quick and easy, roll forever, stay true for my level of XC riding.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to these from Bontrager Superstock, noticed a big difference in weight and roll.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, DT Swiss, LX, etc.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar

Submitted by jitenshakun a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2009

Strengths:    They match the colour of the bike and don't weigh that much. This makes for good acceleration. The wheels have stayed true and although I weigh 200lbs the rims have stayed in 1 piece.

Weaknesses:    The spokes bow out under my weight and the back wheel sounds like popcorn when I ride. One of the rims did have a bonus spoke nipple from the factory which was a pain to get out.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy these aftermarket and if you're over 180lbs (I'm 200lbs) I'd swap them out if they come with your bike.

Purchased At:   Ridley's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   n/a this is my first light weight wheelset

Bike Setup:   Madone 5.2

Submitted by 2713dak a Racer from Marquette, Mi

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2008

Strengths:    Wheels have been strong for me although I"m a light rider, 140 lbs.
Have not had any spoke issues.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I have had no issues with these wheels after many rides and over 15 races.

Favorite Trail:   south trails

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek TopFuel 98, stock set up.

Submitted by Cliff a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    This review is for the Bonti RaceLite Tubeless. They're: Light, spin up quick and easy, roll forever, braking surfaces hold up good, stay true for intermediate level XC riding.

Weaknesses:    Front hub flange cracked and broke

Bottom Line:
Great wheels until the front hub decided to self destruct. Scarey - Last time I rode this bike, I cranked along a fairly smooth, straight desert trail in the speed gears (11/44)thinking the weak link was the rider and if I crashed, the disaster would be my fault. Rode the bike home and parked it.

Yesterday, a week later, I rolled this bike out for a ride and the front wheel was hanging up. The front hub flange on one side had cracked and a section broken loose. Really weird failure - heating and cooling in the garage (115 degrees during the day in there)- I guess (?) finished cracking a failed area on the flange. Three spokes were "out". No reason that I can think of other than radial lacing, low spoke count, and the metal becoming brittle/fatiguing over the years on a lightweight hub. I weigh 170 lbs and don't do drops or hucks. Haven't felt the SID bottoming out. Haven't ridden Fantasy Island (some sections are rough) in the last 6 months. This front wheel has always been straight and had good spoke tension. A few years ago, it hammered through rough Blue Diamond trails quite a few times. BTW I'm a "senior" rider and split my riding between 3 or 4 bikes. Close inspection doesn't show any suspicious little dings or dents where it might have taken some kind of hit. The 3 spokes in the broken section look good. Also, although others, probably stronger riders than I am, have had trouble with the rear hubs/hoops, mine have been good using tubes other than the expected grooving from the cassette. I've never had any problems with hubs over many years and XC miles but have always used 3 cross lacing with XT/XTR level hubs and hand built by a good shop.

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE OLDER FRONT HUBS!!! I'm quiting lightweight, low count, hubs with radial lacing for intermediate level XC. Maybe worth it for the performance if racing or riding at the next level. I'm taking a spare (new) front RaceLite off the wall and down to the bikeshop to see if they recommend lacing it 2 or 3 cross with some Wheelsmith db spokes for better durability. I've never had any luck trying to get any info out of Bontrager themselves including emailing them.

Two chilis for Overall Rating because the back wheel has held up. One chili for value because I'll never ride fast on these wheels again since I don't trust them. They're going on the old, venerable hardtail and the XTR/Mavics are going on the Dakar.

Favorite Trail:   Single Track

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   XT, XTR, DT Swiss, LX, etc.

Bike Setup:   Dakar XC pro, front end is SID XC with XTR rim brakes, Cane Creek S6, XTR shift brake pods. I've always run these rims with tubes rather than going with the tubless. Tires have been the larger Mutanoraptors and Fire XC Pros.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Very Light, Surprisingly Strong.

Weaknesses:    No fancy stickers that come off.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Bontrager Race X lite wheelset that came stock on my fully XTR equipped top of the line Trek Fuel 100.
I'm a big guy, weigh close to 270lbs, and was very weary of riding these light weight wheels, let alone a very light bike with my heavy six foot frame.
These wheels and the bike have held up for years, never needing to be trued (much to my surprise), and roll as smoothly as the first day I got em, to this day.
I ride mostly street, but on the few occasions that I went off-road, even with my skinny MTB Maxxis 310 tires, these wheels have held up to some serious rock pounding and jumps.
The front wheel is radialy laced, and I was sure I would taco is my first ride. NOPE!
The rear is radial laced none-drive side, and an "offset" cross 2 pattern on the drive side.

This wheelset is for rim brakes, but now I'm looking to get a similar disc wheelset from Bontrager for my All-Mountain bike.
Cheaper and made in the US, unlike some of the competition from foo-foo France, and cheap Asia.
5 Stars !!!

Similar Products Used:   Shimanoo XT WH-M765, a few others.

Bike Setup:   Trek Carbon Fuel 100, full XTR, with superlight Maxis 310 tires.

Submitted by Barry Leslie a Weekend Warrior from South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Weaknesses:    Rim cracked with no after sales service

Bottom Line:
Inferior Bontrager Products

I bought a Trek Madone in Oct 2006 (a birthday present from me to me) prior to this I rode a Giant Cadex with Campag Veloce for 100 000 km then I bought a Trek 5200 OCLV with Ultegra and Rolf Vector wheels and road this for about 60 000 km then, I thought I would “upgrade” to a Trek Madone with Dura Ace and Bontrager RaceXLite (like in the Tour de France) well what rubbish the Bontager is, at 11 months (5000 km) the titanium seat rail broke, it was replaced 2.5 months later by The Just Fun Group after a battle. Then I noticed cracks on my back rim, I contacted the South African agents again only to find out that there is a 12 month warranty and they need proof of purchase, well I cant find my proof of purchase and it is over 12 months and will cost me about R1000 for the rim and rebuild. It seems as if these components are only made to last the 4000 km for the Tour de France.

I then went on to the Road Bike Review.Com Web site only to find out that the Bontrager rims cracking is a common problem (over 30 letters to the fact) well this just confirms Bontragers “Quality”. I feel that Bontrager should recall all these rims before they seriously injure or kill someone. I notice that one cannot contact Bontrager direct and have to work via the local agents, I feel Bontrager use these agents as a buffer to take the heat for their inferior products!!!

Favorite Trail:   Road