Bontrager Race Disc Wheelset

3.11/5 (53 Reviews)
Weight : 965/1025 grams <br>(fr/rr) MSRP : $400.00

MADE IN THE USA. Super light XC racing wheels designed to work with disc brake systems. Super light and super strong: can be used for cross country or trail riding. Rims use ASYM (asymetrical rim) design technology for less dish in both front and rear whe

Submitted by Jetta2010 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased this bike ('08 Trek Fuel EX 8) used and was kept mostly stock including wheels. Went to replace a worn front bearing and realized needed a small hook spanner to disassemble the hub. Contacted Trek and they sent it to me at no charge. Thumbs up.

Weaknesses:    Nipples are all falling apart. apparently others have also complained about the alloy nipples corroding and falling apart. Had to re-spoke nearly half of the front and a few on the rear. In over 20 years of riding have I ever seen nipples crumble like this.

Bottom Line:
Had to have lbs help fix the front wheel after having replaced several spokes due to nipples breaking. Could not get it completely trued. Will replace wheels after this season.

Favorite Trail:   Ellicottville NY

Duration Product Used:   1 season

Submitted by keybrite

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    Bomb Proof, Nuff said.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this rim for three seasons, and every time I think of upgrading I just can't. From jumping off four foot walls to beating down the pavement bunny hopping onto curbs everyday, they have been true to me. Sure I have to check the tension and true them every season, few times a season. But damn they rock.

Submitted by Ed Zimmerman a Weekend Warrior from Gresham, Or, USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    I own a full suspension Gary Fisher mtn bike, which came equipped with Bontrager with Race Disc tubeless rims. I had both rims crack, and the local bike shop spoke with the "Rep" and Bontrager replaced the rims at No Charge, The Cracks were visible on both rims, just looking at them. Now, my rear replacement rim has developed some serious cracks; these are on the inside of the rim; only visible when you remove the tire, tube, and fabric strip. The only way I discovered these cracks was because I had a flat tire and was re-adjusting the fabric strip.

Weaknesses:    I am 67 years old, and I don't thrash my bike like a lot of younger riders to. I use my bike as a commuter, and occasional weekend warrior on some local trails or more often when I travel to central Oregon, and go up on some trails on Mt Bachelor. I only weigh 170 lbs, and I don't do any jumps or hard riding over big rocks or large logs. So the metal on these rims shouldn't crack, yet it has, and I finally replaced this rim with a different brand that my local bike shop recommended. They admitted that they have seen this happen to Bontrager rims more often than other brands.

Bottom Line:
Bontrager is a well known brand, and even made in USA, so I'm very disappointed that I've had such bad luck with this brand.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Bachelor trails

Purchased At:   Came with the bike

Similar Products Used:   I'm trying out MTB rim this time.

Bike Setup:   Full suspension

Submitted by Bucknbronc a Racer from Lawrence, KS

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2011

Strengths:    Nothing above average

Weaknesses:    Nipples and rim.

Bottom Line:
The Bontragar Race Lite wheel set came with this bike when I bought it in 2008. My main issue was with the rear nipples braking. After the third one broke within one month I had Sunflower Bike shop replace all the rear nipples with brass in November of 09. I haven't had any issue with it since. I did have the rear bearing seize up. I had the hub rebuilt and due to normal wear on the cassett it was replaced.

After a catostrophic endover on the trail the front wheel was taken in for a broken nipple in Sept. 2011 and upon further inspection a crack in the rim was discovered. The wheel was still under warranty and was replaced with a complete Bontragar Rhythm Pro Scadium. I had all brass nipples installed which probabley wasn't nessasary. I never had a problem with the front nipples on the Race Lite, however, aluminum nipples do corrode and the service life is not as long as brass. Brass is a bit heavier as well.

Overall the Race Lite rims worked well on most of the terrain I rode on such as rock gardens, roots, gravel roads and single track. I give the wheel set 3 chilies for overall performance.

Purchased At:   Trek Bike of Shawnee

Similar Products Used:   Rhythm Pro Scadium

Bike Setup:   Deor 9 speed cassett, stock rear hub, XT front derailuer, SRAM XO rear deraileur, XO twist shifters, Avid Juicy 7 brakes, blah blah blah

Submitted by victory65 a Weekend Warrior from wellington

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, very durable.

Weaknesses:    Tough to seat bead of tire when changing but probably not rim issue.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I beat on this bike, and beat on these wheels. They've been trued twice, and keep on taking a beating. I've had no issues with the hubs at all. I was looking into changing up but after reading several reviews on other wheelsets, I'll ride these until they can no longer be trued. Gotta give it 5 flamin' chilis across the board, because I"ve had the bike for nearly 4 years and ride two to three times a week. I've hit the nastiest rock gardens in south florida, and can't seem to break them.

Favorite Trail:   markham

Purchased At:   wheels of wellington

Similar Products Used:   Came atock with bike. Other Bontrager wheel sets on Trek hardtail.

Bike Setup:   2006 Gary Fisher Fat Possum XT

Submitted by noot a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Came on bike
Relatively strong
Relatively light
Good for tubeless

Weaknesses:    Came on bike
Relatively heavy

Bottom Line:
These came on my 2008 HiFi Deluxe. For a stock rim they aren't bad. I'm 220lbs, and I was worried I'd need to replace them soon, but I never had a problem (surprisingly). They lasted 2 years, and even then I only replaced them because I got a good deal on some Rhythms.

For a stock rim, they look decent, and set up tubeless well. The tire bead "snaps" into the rim (or at least, snaps OUT when removing).

If you get these stock, don't worry, they're easily ridable until you feel the need to get something lighter, or potentially stronger, or both (Rhythm).

Favorite Trail:   Ones with dirt

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Rhythm Pro
etc

Bike Setup:   HiFi Deluxe

Submitted by Filippo a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    Strength

Weaknesses:    Width

Bottom Line:
I have ridden these wheels hard for almost 2 yrs and they've seen some abuse. I weigh 165 lbs and have ridden them on National and Mormon trails at South Mountain and Trail 100. I put them in the truing stand to find that they were still within about 2mm! They're still within 100 grams of wheelsets that cost a lot more. I wish they had a bit wider profile but can't blame them for that.

Favorite Trail:   Black Canyon

Purchased At:   on a GF Super Calibe

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Shimano XT, Deore

Bike Setup:   GF Supercaliber stock, Juicy 5, Sram X9...

Submitted by galedhduck a Cross Country Rider from lancaster, pa, usa

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    does the job, disc brake version works well, only trued a tiny bit once in a years time of maybe 40 rides (I do mostly road/cross).

Weaknesses:    heavy, 2000 grams vs. 1500 for a race wheelset

Bottom Line:
Wheel is durable, no complaints, trued easily the one time I decided to fine tune the little bit it needed. Engages fine, it is a great wheel for worry free riding deep in the woods. If you have problems with these it may be the spoke tension needs adjusted by a professional and then you would be trouble free, sometimes any wheel company has a set or two escape from the factory without proper tensioning so always check your investment before riding.
Go hammer.

Favorite Trail:   rocky

Purchased At:   on used bike

Similar Products Used:   ck hubs to dt rims (i built)

Bike Setup:   epic full susp. fox forks (only way to go)

Submitted by rafaperron a Cross Country Rider from Querétaro, México

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    These wheels use of standard spokes and bearings, allowing you to buy them from any bike or bearings shop the day you need them.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are tubeless, but when I bought the bike (wheels came with the bike), the bike came with standard tires. I need to buy the rim strap, valves and tires separately.

Bottom Line:
I use to mountain bike 4 to 5 days a week, and after 3 years these wheels are still riding smoothly. First the front suspension was replaced, then frame cracks on two pieces and now I have them as spare parts for my new bike.

As an example of durability free wheel has never been replaced. Free wheel was replaced several times from my old Shimano hubs.

Favorite Trail:   Nevado de Colima

Purchased At:   Tekno Bike

Similar Products Used:   1.- Shimano XT hub / Campagnolo K2 Rim, 2.- Shimano XT hub / Mavic rim

Bike Setup:   Trek Top Fuel 8 with Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3"

Submitted by Juki a Cross Country Rider from Croatia

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Weak :)

Bottom Line:
The front wheel went bust after a hard fall. The feel in the bends downhill is twitchy, that was before my fall. They just seem too weak.

The 28 hole rim is a big no-no, because there are no spares around. Now I have to get a new front wheel, and drop a perfectly good Bontrager hub...

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8 2008.

Submitted by smilinsteve a Cross Country Rider from Castle Rock, CO

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2010

Strengths:    Stay true, smooth bearings.

Weaknesses:    Not super light.

Bottom Line:
These wheels have stayed perfectly straight for me, the spoke tension has not varied, the hubs spin smooth with no slop and no adjustments needed. They seem a little tough to seat tire beads, as Bontrager tubeless ready is known for. Havent tried using them tubeless yet.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Shimano etc.

Bike Setup:   SC superlight

Submitted by Fippo a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Strength, weight, price

Bottom Line:
I've been on these wheels for over a year and they've seen a lot of abuse. I only weigh 165lbs but after beating on these on Trail 100, the Whiskey Off-Road, Barn Burner... I have to give them high marks. They could be lighter but for what I paid I have no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Shultz Pass