Bontrager Mustang ASYM Wheelset

4.57/5 (30 Reviews)

Bontrager Mustang ASYM

Submitted by woody pisano a Cross Country Rider from austin, tx, usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    stronger than a tire iron, only lighter.

Weaknesses:    in six years, none

Bottom Line:
I have replaced every moving part on this bike, except for the wheels. I weight about 210, so I'm not all that light, but these wheels have been, and are still strong, stable and true. the side walls have ruts from the brake pads, and they stay true. I just bought a brand new set.

Favorite Trail:   which every one I'm on

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   trek 8500 hardtail, bomber up front

Submitted by Pat a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    First of all, I bought a full suspension bike moving out to SoCa. But I still have my trusty completely non-stock 02 GF Tassjara. Part of the upgrade included getting Mustangs last year. Well, they were good in Palos outside of Chicago but they competely kick ass when converted w/ Stan's notubes and riding a "real" mountain here in Cali! Do yourself a favor. Get this rim, buy Stan's kit ( I use Airlight Pythons 480 gm! Seweet and it rips on hardpack), and convert your tires. YOu can run lower pressure, no flat (absolutely none for me) and grips singletrack like a Gorilla. When I did all this, I was typically moving up one chainring in the back maintaining same cadence.

Weaknesses:    Zero. Nada!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line? If you ride XC and want to get some very strong,light wieght rims. This is it!

Favorite Trail:   Mugu St. Park

Purchased At:   Orland Cyclery in Orland Park, IL

Similar Products Used:   Bonty Corvairs that came w/ bike. Very durable, could use probably for some light freeriding, but HEAVY. Mustang's are lighter and I have been told just as strong.

Bike Setup:   Bike 1) 2003 Iron Horse Hollowpoint Expert (This is the REAL DEAL.
Bike 2) (this one has the Mustang's) 02 GF Tassajara, Mustnag's XT Huba nd Pyton tires (running Stan's), All XT drivetrain, LX shift/brakes, Avid 7 single digit brakes, 03 Rock Shox 80 MM Duke XC, and Race Face XC Cranks, - 23 lbs bike setup.

Submitted by Tom Cavanaugh a Cross Country Rider from San Juan Capistrano

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2004

Strengths:    They are light, stay true and seem to be strong rims except for...see weaknesses.

Weaknesses:    I was surprised to see others on this site having the exact same problem I have. The rear wheel area next to the valve stem has developed a large blip. As also mentioned by another rider, I run Panaracer XC Pros. I have sent several e-mails to Bontrager regarding this issue and they have told me they are not aware of it at all. I told them to check MTRB.com, but they only told me to go back to Supergo; Supergo no longer carries this product and can do nothing.

Bottom Line:
I not slamming Bontrager, they make good products, but it doesn't seem that I am going to get any resolution about this problem from them.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River Trail

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Mavic wheels and XT hubs.

Bike Setup:   SC Uber-Lite, Tru-Vativ Team Stylo cranks, Bontrager wheels, XT hubs and derailuers, Ritchey bars and seatpost, SDG Sattelite saddle.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Seacoast, NH

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Build quality, durability, looks

Weaknesses:    None that spring to mind

Bottom Line:
After speaking with Mike at Universal, I decided to go with them even though they were slightly more expensive than the mail order places. So far the wheels have held up really well to some clumsy riding over rocks and roots. Light enough for XC racing, and strong enough for crashing around Fort Rock. Trued the rear wheel once in 12 months, no need to touch the front. Hold up much better than the stock crappy Mavic 221's. Definitely recommended unless you are a talented rider who wants superlight racing wheels and can ride well enough to avoid trashing them. With XT hubs, these are great value for money.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Rock

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221's, Mavic F519 (front) & Rhyno Lite (rear)

Bike Setup:   01 Specialized Stumpy hardtail, Mars Super fork, Truvativ crank. XT hubs

Submitted by Jeff from Bethsda, MD

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Strengths:    These rims keep true, right out of the box. I have had no problems with the need of truing the wheels after many hard miles

Weaknesses:    Ok, after reading Jay's (the previous review) comments I realized I was not the only one with this problem. Right by the valve stem the rear sidewall (braking surface) blows out with the panaracer 2.1. When braking you get the "thump-thump" with the v-brakes (annoying). I clamped them with vise grips with card board in between and it brings them in, had the LBS clueless, I had to figure that out. Don't get me wrong, the front and rear are still true, I am actually running a WTB 2.5 Weirwolf on the front with no problems at all

Bottom Line:
Rear sidewall blowout sucks, front rim is excellent, could have been my fault for temporarily running a 2.5 on the back as well (tight fit)

I still give a high five!

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   all kinds, these were best till the sidewall blew, I will try rhyno-lites, ditch witch, or halo combat next.

Bike Setup:   1995 Cannondale Super V700 carbon fiber( old school), Manitou elite 100/120, race face cranks, sram XO shifters/derailler, panaracer fire xc rear, wtb weirwolf 2.5 front.

Submitted by Jay a Weekend Warrior from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Strengths:    Price, perceived performance, good reviews

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewall!!

Bottom Line:
I posted this review on the rim section, but it is applicable to the wheelset also. I'm ~ 180 lbs with gear. "Worked well for ~ 1yr, but after slightly tweaking the rear and retruing, the rear OSB Mustang Asym rim "blows" out in 1 spot causing extreme pulsating when FirePro 2.1 tire at 52psi. Rim has to be replaced.. but with what? So many good reviews on this rim, but orig Mavics lasted way longer amongst same riding conditions (rocky AZ terrrain)." Going to try Rhyno Lites next..

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221, 238

Bike Setup:   FSR Elite, Z1 bomber

Submitted by Dirk a Cross Country Rider from Mishawaka, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2002

Strengths:    Strength, looks, value, large side walls for us V-brakers, Bontrager

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I weigh in fully geared at about 185 lb. These may not be the lightest rims available (although they are damn light) but I know that they will withstand any dropoff I will throw at it and stay true as new. The black anodized rim looks sweet too. If you are looking for a rock solid wheel you can beat on without worry and you don't want to spend a ridiculous price this is the wheelset. This coupled with XT hubs with provide years of enjoyable service. This is a standard wheelset also. Any local shop should be able to service it no problem. That is if it every needs it. Nice work Bontrager on a serious valued product. 5 hot N nasties for this one.

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221 (hey they lasted 5 years of abuse)

Bike Setup:   GT, Bontrager Mustangs, RaceFace, Chris King, Thomson, Marzocchi

Submitted by Cooter a Cross Country Rider from Milroy In

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Light weight, Strong Strong Strong, Looks trick with those straight loaced spokes, Fat surfaces for your rim brakes, XT hubs

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
These rims rock. i have dished some serious abuse to these rims and they are still straight. they are a big impovement over mt stock trek rims in strength and weight. i didnt think that rims could make you a better rider untill now. get some. pricepoint is almost giving them away

Favorite Trail:   conyers horse park

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   mavix 221

Bike Setup:   built Trek 4500, all xt driveline, truvativ stylo crank, converted to 9sp, kore stem, bontrager mustangs, avid single digit 7 brakes, ect.

Submitted by Marc a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Strengths:    Great price, Great strength and

Weaknesses:    Nada!

Bottom Line:
Great proce, incredible strenght, great weight (especially for the price. I bought these aftermarket after I taco'd the stock rear wheel (Mavic 221). I had them built up with XT hubs, 15 gauge spokes on the front and 14/15 on the rear, with aluminum nipples front to back. I have had them 3 years and have trued them 3 times. I ride western PA trails, rocks, roots, singletrack etc pretty hard (or clumsy...) and I weigh 200lbs. These wheels rock. Plus the ASYM rear looks a kinda trick as well.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Killer V, fatty SL headshock, XTR shifters/brakes/deraileurs, Raceface Next LP crank, Easton EA70 bar

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    Light, stiff, reliable

Weaknesses:    no cartridge bearings(what do you expect @ $160, the best regular bearings next to XTR)

Bottom Line:
These are the best wheels for the money. I cranked up the tension a little to gain some stifness and really love them. Stiff under acceleration and turning. I'd take these over the Kings and pocket the rest of the money.

Similar Products Used:   Chris King w/317, LX w/221, CODA crap

Submitted by RJ Litton from Pasadena

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Light, durable, priced well. (looks good also)

Weaknesses:    None encountered.

Bottom Line:
My mountain bike, a GT Aggressor II, came with decent wheels, but not durable enough for hard trails. I purchased these as an upgrade and it has really improved my confidence with the bike. These rims are light, strong & durable. The rims that came with the bike I put rode tires on so I can now use the bike in a variety of roles. This has worked well albeit, the bike looks funny as hell with rode tires. Overall, I have not experienced any problems with these rims and strongly recommend purchasing this product.

Favorite Trail:   San Gabriel (JPL Area)

Purchased At:   Pasadena Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Modified GT Aggressor 2.0

Submitted by CS a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Light and strong, yet very inexpensive. After initial truing, they have not needed to be trued in almost a year. No problems with the XT hubs whatsoever after a year of hard riding. I bought these as a second set to my custom handbuilt wheelset, but find these to be just as fast and much more reliable.

Weaknesses:    Machine built so they needed to be trued after the first couple of rides.

Bottom Line:
You really can't get a much better combination of light and tough at any price. At $150 with XT hubs, these wheels are a steal.

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossride, King hubs w/517's, Bontrager Race, Rolfs, Sun/Ringle

Bike Setup:   Stumpy hardtail

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, light weight, overall great.

Bottom Line:
Very strong, but yet very light. I bike hard and beat the hell out of my bike everytime I ride. I'm impressed that these light wheels take such a beating. Strongly reccomend.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    Does not need to be trued. (Ok maybe once a season)
Strong, strong, strong
Light

Weaknesses:    tall sidewalls make changing tires very difficult

Bottom Line:
If you looking for rims that will last a long time, require little to no maintance, and give you more confidence, then get these rims. I have the ceramic versions, rear is asym and I love them. My first ride with them 3 years ago was the ultimate test. I was going too fast (I was excited to have new rims) and flew off an 8 ft cliff. I landed with all my weight on the front tire. I was in the hospital for awhile after but my rims didn't even need to be retrued. Awesome. Also if you are upgrading from heavier rims, you will instantly feel the difference. If feels like someone is pushing you at first. Much better acceleration. After 3 years of riding on them I still absolutly love them.

Favorite Trail:   Used to be rock lake until all the yuppies rode the sh#t out of it.

Purchased At:   supergo