Bontrager corvairs Wheelset

3.54/5 (37 Reviews)

bont'ys corvairs

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2006

Strengths:    Who's Kidding who here. These wheels are bullet proof. I am 230 lbs and ride hard. If you have broken these rims or hubs, you are either lying are don't know hor to ride. I ride two-three times per week and have not had a single problem. I ride tough rocky trails full of roots and some fairly big drops.

Weaknesses:    If anything overbuilt, thus a bit heavy for the lighter rider, but for a heavy rider, these are perfect.

Bottom Line:
Great wheel set for the price. Tough as nails and a great set that will take anything you throw at them

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Pro, full XTR, SID Race. Avid ti V-brakes

Submitted by Charles a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2006

Strengths:    Looks good, decent package wheel for a $600 bike.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
For daily commuting and occasional weekend singletrack these wheels are fine. Would buy something stronger if I planned on doing the tough stuff every week, rather than trashing them and then moaning about why my low to mid level wheels couldn't take weekly abuse on the West Tyson end of the Chubb.

Purchased At:   Came with bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 SLR (2003)

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    Sturdy and reliable

Weaknesses:    Probably a bit heavy, like everything else that came on this bike

Bottom Line:
After 5 years I have no complaints with these wheels. I ride in a fair amount of mud and I went years without cleaning the hubs, they never complained. I've hardly had to do any truing on them either. I weigh 160 and do agressive cross country, no big drops. A good, solid, reliable ride.

Purchased At:   OEM

Bike Setup:   Trek Y3 8 speed, Jett fork

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Springfield

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    Smooth hub bearings, high rim sidewall

Weaknesses:    Heavier

Bottom Line:
Borrowed these from a friend to try the bontrager tubeless rimstrips that are available for $5 each from your bontrager dealer. Front rim worked great with homemade sealant. Rear rim (asym) wouldn't work with the tubeless rim strip, so I stretched a 20" BMX presta tube over the rim (cut down the middle so it sticks out both sides after you mount the tire) and it sealed even better than the front with the Bontrager strip. It's a great tubeless wheelset on the cheap!

Couldn't find a review spot for the bontrager tubeless rim strips, so more comments here: Wonderful product designed for wider cross-country rims. I couldn't get it to work with 517's due to the narrow rim (21.8 outer measurement). I think the bontrager strip will work with any symmetrical rim wider than about 22.5. The bontrager rims (mustang tubeless) they're actually designed for are around 23.5 or so.

Favorite Trail:   Busiek

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   lx/517 wheelset

Bike Setup:   KHS Steel softail

Submitted by Owen Simpson a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, NC

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Rear wheel comes out of true after every ride. Broke at least one spoke on every race.

Bottom Line:
These wheels were terrible. I don,t know if I just got a bad set or what. I broke a spoke at least eight times, and the wheel came out of true every time I rode. I got a new wheelset as soon as I could.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Smoky Mountain Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey pros

Bike Setup:   Fisher Hoo-koo-e-koo, basically stock

Submitted by Allen Coulonge, Jr. a Weekend Warrior from New Orleans, LA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Strong wheelset, stayed true.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is a good, sturdy although heavy wheelset. If you are looking for a decent backup wheelset or need a better one than came stock with your beginning bike and are strapped for cash, buy them. They were a solid wheelset until I could afford something better.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   GNO Cyclery in New Orleans

Similar Products Used:   Usual basic junk wheelsets and Cane Creek WAM Crono Ti

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900 w/ XT/XTR group, Cane Creek wheels(now), Duke XC, Syntace bar & stem, & Eggbeaters

Submitted by STEVEN KAMILTON a Weekend Warrior from Aliso Veijo, CA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Strengths:    Nice and solid.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Have not had one problem with them. (They seem a little heavy compare to other ones I've checked out.)

Favorite Trail:   Aliso/Wood Canyon

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900- Hayes disc brakes, Deore/ LX drivetrain, RS Duke XC

Submitted by Scott from Denver

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2003

Strengths:    stays true--cheap-cheap-cheap--

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
These rims are a bit heavy, but never had any probs. The reviewer before me must have different rims than I do. I have beaten the crap out of these and had them trued twice in three years of hard riding.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   came stock on Klein

Bike Setup:   blur

Submitted by Crazyk a Weekend Warrior from Bowling Green, OH

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    If you ride flat stuff with no roots or rocks they're the bomb.

Weaknesses:    Can't handle roots, rocks or anything mildly extreme

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these if you consider yourself a Mt. biker. Unfourtantly they come on the trek 4900, which is a great bike. Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade! I give them two chilis because they did make through some rough times.

Favorite Trail:   any single track I can find

Purchased At:   Came with Trek 4900

Similar Products Used:   None yet, but hopefully a new wheelset really soon

Submitted by Forrest a Cross Country Rider from E. Lansing Mi

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2002

Strengths:    STAYED TRUE!! In one year of hard riding I only had to have the wheel trued once... spokes stay tight. VERY RIGID

Weaknesses:    Fairly heavy, but not bad. VERY prone to pinch flats. For a while it seemed I was getting them once a week or so.

Bottom Line:
Great Wheels to come Stock on a $500 bike. While I had the wheel set I was VERY impressed by the durability of the wheel. The only two downsides where (1)Weight (2)Pinch flats. Other than that they performed like an absolute DREAM. These would be a very nice extra wheel set for a cheap price! Just remeber to bring the patch kit and a hand pump. :)

Favorite Trail:   Ft Custer

Purchased At:   Velociped

Similar Products Used:   Rolf Dolomite

Bike Setup:   Used to be: Trek 4900 w/RS Duke Race, XTR rear -Had the Corvair tires on here (stock).
Now: Trek STP200 w/RS Duke Race, XTR rear. Everything else is stock and I'm loving it.

Submitted by aleks a Cross Country Rider from brooklyn NY

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Strengths:    I dont know about all of the other reviewers, but mine came on my trek6500. I never had any problems with front wheel, hub was great, the rim strong enuff for me. But the rear was a nitemare. Hub was making funny noise. went to the shop three times, still no luck. The rim by that time was ok. Then hub started to sound like a pepper grinder. Replaced the whose hub with an XT one. Then the rim couldnt stay true after one ride. i will pay someone to ride the wheels now.
Just got Rolf Uraccos as a replacement. We'll see how they will be.

Bottom Line:
hmm...look up oh duh...merry xmas

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Submitted by ward smith from vernon

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Got a flat on a 60 km trail with all sorts of terrain on it. Had no spare or flat kit so I hadto stuff the tire with foliage, and road 4okm on this. The wheel didn't even go out of true!!!

Weaknesses:    prone to pinch flats

Bottom Line:
tuff rim!!!!

Favorite Trail:   kal lake

Purchased At:   olympia cycle

Bike Setup:   rocky mountain 24 spd.

Submitted by Alex from Albert lea

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    somewhat light

Weaknesses:    spokes losen up 24/7 "i cant keep them strait and they wont stay tight"

Bottom Line:
these whells suck

Bike Setup:   99 vrx 200

Submitted by Fly S a Cross Country Rider from Severna Park MD

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Strengths:    I have a twin brother who rolls Mavic x138 wheels and we ride together all the time. We really like fast, rocky, technical stuff. His wheels have needed truing and he's had problems with the brakepads rubbing because the wheel was not true. I have ridden the EXACT same terrain right at his side and my wheels are perfectly true

Weaknesses:    I dont know whether it is the wheel or not but something about my bike makes the rear tube pop pretty often. I am pretty quick when it comes to changing/patching tubes, because I've gotten my fair share of practice.

Bottom Line:
I have never had a problem with these wheels, unless the tire popping can be attributed to the wheel design. I dont know that it can though.

Favorite Trail:   Mount snow VT