BombShell Fat Daddy Wheelset

4.29/5 (17 Reviews)

Perfect Downhill / Dual Slalom / Mountain Cross wheelset. Available in 26"x32 or 26"x36 hole. Fatdaddy 1.75 Rims. Quick Release front and rear hubs. Available in wheelset or rim. Formerly called Fatboy.

Submitted by Brendan

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, STRONG, wide rim, nice engagement, easy to seat tires, easy to swap out front thru axle

Weaknesses:    The adapters for thru axle are a little annoying if you have to take the front wheel off, but it's not a big deal. The customer service is a little odd, but haven't had issues yet. Hard to find. Only place that seems to be selling them these days is the company website.

Bottom Line:
I've abused these to hell. I've tacoed the front wheel, trued it best I could and kept riding. That was 5 years ago. These wheels are still awesome. When I get enough dough, I'm crash refunding the front wheel. For about the same as I'd pay for a new rim I can get a brand new front wheel. I couldn't be happier with these things. For me as a bigger guy, all that weight weenie crap gets a little aggravating. Yes these are heavy, but so am I. I need something that's heavy to put up with the abuse I'm going to dish out. Hell, if they made rims out of stainless steel I'd buy those. Till then, there's these.

Submitted by Treesworld a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Fl

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    Strength and width

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
These rims have taken all the abuse that I can throw at them. At 240 lbs I have broken about every part of my bike, I destroyed the OEM rims. I even mounted them on CK hubs for better engagement. These have survived over 2 years of abuse with only limited truing. By limited I mean once after I changed the hubs. My only complaint is the weight.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Bike Setup:   Trance X

Submitted by zenkem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    The Hubs rolling resistance is one of the best I've seen, even better then most shimono hubs I've delt with

Weaknesses:    None, weight dosn't matter when your a Clyde

Bottom Line:
Indestructible Wheel set!!! Been bombing on this wheel set for almost a year now and have zero time maintaining 'em. With a riding weight well over 250lbs this wheel set has taken everything I have thrown at it and still rolls true after more then 1000 miles.

The only negative I have for this Wheel set is Bombshells customer service...thus the 4 Chili rating. If you have patience when dealing with this company in the end you will end up with an excellent product.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Bombshell

Similar Products Used:   Ryno Lite, Bontrager and Huffy

Bike Setup:   C'dale F4

Submitted by insanitylevel9 a Downhiller from hopkinton ma

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Strengths:    nice and wide

Weaknesses:    heavy as hell, not very strong

Bottom Line:
if your looking for a tuff wheel look else wear, ive been using them for maybe 4 5 months and in that time ive had to true them close to once a week. after about 2 months of hard riding they had a flat spot that you could feel riding on flat ground. now after 4/5 months i cracked the seem in the wheel and need a new one. all and all i wouldn't recommend these to any one.

Favorite Trail:   nam

Purchased At:   i forget

Similar Products Used:   mavics salsas and other companies

Bike Setup:   sinister ridge hardtail with a fox van 36 and x0 drive train

Submitted by GoremanX a Cross Country Rider from Ile-Aux-Noix, QC

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    Bomb proof, amazingly strong, super wide, look great

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
I weigh 250 pounds. These are the first wheels to survive the punishment I dish out, even after 1000 miles. I ride them everywhere from pavement to rough mountain forest trails, and I do not take good care of them. I just abuse them endlessly. I trued them initially after purchase, then I never had to put a spoke wrench to them again. They continue to run strong and true.

I run these "ghetto" tubeless using half BMX tubes, and they've never failed me in that respect either. The super-wide rim makes it incredibly easy to mount tires, yet once those tires are inflated, they're on there to stay. I'm currently running a set of studded winter tires on them (also "ghetto" tubeless).

So far, the hubs have been reliable and strong, despite my constant hammering and my use of a downhill (11-26) cassette. The freewheel isn't showing any damage whatsoever from the cassette cogs. Coasting was a little loud initially, but now that it's broken-in, it sounds no louder than any other freewheel. The front hub has seen some pounding, but it's still good as new. Being able to convert from 20mm thru-axle to regular QR is brilliant. I use the 20mm method on my bike.

Customer service from Bombshell is terrible. I'd rather never have to deal with them again if at all possible. Their communication sucks. Hopefully the wheels will just continue to work well and I won't need any more customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Island Line, Burlington, VT

Purchased At:   bombshellparts.com

Similar Products Used:   Alex Rims DM24 (vomit), generico crap, etc.

Bike Setup:   2008 Kona Hoss frame,custom built from scratch

Submitted by wsccj85 a Downhiller from Palmer, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2009

Weaknesses:    Weight; this wheelset is a little bit on the heavy side.

Bottom Line:
The Fat Daddy wheelset is worth the $$. I've ridden these wheels HARD for the last 2 years on BOTH of my bikes; DH and AM. They have put up with everything I've dished out. Great for my DH bike, and because I recently broke my rear wheel on my AM bike (Giant Reign) I slapped the Bombshells on it and they are great. I was worried they would be a litle bit heavy for the AM riding, but they are fine; I can pedal up mostly every hill I was riding with my stock wheels (WTB Laser Disc Trail), and the Bombshells only add another pound to the bike.

I recommend these wheels to someone that wants a STRONG, stiff platform for anything from Downhill to All Mountain riding. If you are a weight weenie, these wheels are not for you.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Reign 2, 2008 Marzocchi 55TST2 fork, Fox RP3 shock, sram drivetrain, Kenda Nevgal tires

Submitted by R-DUB a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, TN, U.S.

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    everything. these wheels are sick.

Weaknesses:    none really. maybe weight...if your a wuss.

Bottom Line:
have a set of bombshell fatboys and run the 20mm front.
the swichit hub is amazing. the stiffness is unbelievable.
these wheels are the best wheels i have ever owned. i have ridden these wheels very hard for over three years. i have only tightened one spoke after i landed a jump almost completely sideways. may be a little heavy for wussies, but i weigh 200lbs dry so for me i have had many problems with detroying wheels. my riding buddy has to get his wheels trued every week. i keep telling him to buy these wheels and quit throwing your money away. i plan on trying the easton am havoc wheels next. i hope they do not disappoint.
if they do i will put the fatboys back on and sell the eastons on ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky Creek

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   mavic crossmax, shimanoxt/ryhno lite, sun ringle s.u.v.'s

Bike Setup:   2004 ellsworth joker, pike team air, 2008 xt/truvativ stylo gxp drivetrain, avid juicy 7's, kenda nevegal tires

Submitted by Dale from CDM

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    Once dialed-in, wheels stay true.

Weaknesses:    Freehubs, customer service is among the most unprofessional ever encountered.

Bottom Line:
If these wheels break, you're on your own. They ran ok after I dialed-in the spokes (yes they tend to be squirly out of the box) and that's why they got 2 chilis for value.

But, the freehub pawls gave out after 6-9 months. No big deal, except their customer service (though nice) is among the most unprofessional I've ever encountered.

Delayed shipping, wrong parts sent, etc. Weeks later, I'm still without a working wheel. Can't buy a freehub elsewhere, because they say their tech is proprietary. Probably going to go buy a new wheel. Buyer beware: If you wheels break, you might as well call a rodeo clown for warranty support.

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Outlaws, Performance Locos, Mavic 321

Submitted by B F a Weekend Warrior from Los Altos, CA

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    price, strength, looks, and resonable weight

Weaknesses:    front hub spacing is a tad narrow, also because of the rim width and offset lacing spokes rub the inside of my brake caliper when cornering ( f-ing annoying)

Bottom Line:
Sweet rims for the price except be careful what brakes you use make sure the inside width of the caliper isn't going to hit the spokes. I already planned on changing the brakes ( El Caminos suck) so it's a none issue. But they are definately strong and not too heavy ( All mtn - DH range)

Favorite Trail:   420s

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   many

Bike Setup:   El Camino brakes with an Marz. All Mtn 1 fork

Submitted by Anthony Uva a Weekend Warrior from Stamford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, Width, Looks

Weaknesses:    Weight, Alloy nipples

Bottom Line:
When i got the wheels the spokes were loose, i tightened them up but they loosened again, i fixed this issue by replacing all the alloy nipples with brass ones. But other than that it's awesome.

Durability- i ran a diablo domination race this past weekend (Aug 4/5) and i flatted at the top 1/3 of the course at a rocky section. i ran the rest of the course on flat through moderately rocky terain, minor drops (due to lack of speed), and many roots. The rim held up beautifully! (minus the scratch where the rock hit my tire causing the flat.) There were no dings or wobbles on the sidewalls of the rim at all.

The hubs are pretty standard but easy to take apart and clean. Very happy with these rims/wheels. Buy some, swap the nipples, and enjoy!

4/5 value due to nipples
5/5 for durability

Favorite Trail:   Diablo

Similar Products Used:   sun mtx rims on shimano hubs

Bike Setup:   specialized enduro, marzocchi Z1, fox dhx 5.0, sram, race face

Submitted by Gil a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    These used to be called fatboy, great rims i haven't touched these badboys since i purchased them over two years ago.

Weaknesses:    a little heavy but who cares.

Bottom Line:
These rims are great i can't believe the have lasted this long, I'm sure Bomdshell hasn't changed the design. Go out and get a set. Don't waste your time on building or buying mavics, life is too short, get out there and ride. I have also bought a set of bombshell fb pedals that are just as good. Great company they have a customer for life.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Mavic crap, rinos and other $hit that i wasted my time on.

Bike Setup:   Giants NRS & AC,Banshee Scirocco

Submitted by fatcat from pasadena, california

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    I have the formerly known FatBoy, I guess Bombshell went poltically correct, those wimps! But these wheels are not wimpy. They are pretty light, the rims are wide and the hubs are high quality. The 20mm front hub is pretty narrow for a thru axle, however it can stand alot of punishment. I kinda wished the rear came in a 12mm thru axle, but the standard QR is OK. I've pretty much rode these wheels through rock gardens and off short drops and they have withstood alot.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses except an anodized paintjob would be nice as I have scratches all over the rims from the cheap gloss black paint job.

Bottom Line:
For only little more than $250 after shipping and taxes, these are a great value opposed to having some custom made rims and hubs done up at your local shop. True, they are no Chris King or Hugi hubs strung up with Mavics, but they get the job done and are fairly lightweight. After 2 years of riding on them 3 times a week, they havent taken a dump yet.