Azonic Outlaw Wheelset

4.06/5 (71 Reviews)

Outlaw 26" WheelsetThis is one of our favorite and most popular wheelsets here at Jenson. Why? Super versatile. Front wheel converts easily from quick-releaseTo 20mmThroughaxle usingThe included parts. Use QR with your existing fork andThen switchTo 20mm if you ever upgrade your fork Rear wheel converts from 12mmThroughaxleTo quick-release (again, all parts included). SoTheyre easily adaptableTo your multiple bikes and forks. Theyre also super strong, one ofThe few inexpensive wheelse

Submitted by bob a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2014

Strengths:    strong - been running these for about 4 years, mostly cross country but in the summer hit mammoth mountain and big bear for some fun downhill - these puppies have never let me down
reasonably priced

Weaknesses:    weight - the rim on these seem a bit higher than other rims so getting tires on and off takes a bit

Bottom Line:
Would recommend these,bomb-proof rims!

Submitted by T Mann

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2014

Strengths:    Strong,good price

Weaknesses:    Good luck finding 15mm conversion for front.couldnt find in stock anywhere.still running stock rim on front until azonic keeps up with demand.seems they could have anticipated demand a little sooner.

Bottom Line:
Overall good buy costumer service could improve

Submitted by Tyler Dunn a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2014

Strengths:    Bombproof, versatile, super stiff, durable, sexy, great hubs

Weaknesses:    Heavy as f***

Bottom Line:
I have the original outlaws at 36 spoke, I dont know what the weight is, but i know the newer/lighter version is like 2400g for a wheelset, so I imagine mine are heavier. But other than that, they are amazing, I have had them for over 3 years now and they have not gotten a single dent, bend, or anything in them. You can run these into trees and not have to worry. They can hold any width tire you want to throw on it from 2.1 to 2.5. Definitely worth buying if you are looking for a budget wheelset that will last you forever. Would not recommend for XC or trail riding unless you are okay with the weight

Submitted by Eddie. C a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2013

Strengths:    Bomb Proof strength , roll very smoothly & quickly. Very adapable wheel set.

Weaknesses:    The weight but since I'm 6 ft tall and 220 lbs of Sexiness I can't complain !

Bottom Line:
I purchased these wheels as a replacement for the stock Bontrager Duster wheels that came with my 2011 Fuel EX . The Duster wheels themselves are very good, its the Shimano hubs that suck and needed constant attention and upkeep that got me fed up with the stock wheels. The Azonic Outlaw Wheels are probably one of the most underrated wheel sets out on the market. They are a little heavy but nothing to keep you from enjoying your ride, about the same weight as my stock wheel set. Their ability to adapt to different configurations and deliver outstanding performance it amazing. I'm an "Aggressive Trail Rider" and have always held back riding the way I like due to the limits of certain components . These are "Serious Wheels" and I would recommend them to anyone who is an aggressive rider or normal size & weight person. If you like your shorts real tight and weigh less than my dog , you probably won't need a wheel set like this.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Duster wheel set

Bike Setup:   2011 Trek Fuel EX

Submitted by p2rider426 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    VERY strong. Great value!

Weaknesses:    Not incredibly lightweight, but nearly identical weight to the stock rear wheel off of my P2 and many times stronger!

Bottom Line:
Used this rear wheel on my chromoly P2 DJ bike for several years. I did a lot of screwing around with trials, urban, and downhill style riding too. Never even developed the slightest wobble in 3 years of pretty regular use. I purchased the wheel new off of eBay for around $100 with a box full of axles/skewers/chain tensioners and a new tube and tire too!

Duration Product Used:   ~3years

> Versatile
> Durable/Strength
> High Value per Price Ratio
> Good Coating/Anodization

Weaknesses:    > Not The Lightest, But Still Very Reasonable.

Bottom Line:
For anyone that doesn't know, Outlaws use ALEX Supra D Rims which are considered by many to be one the best underrated Rims out there. I would definitely say the Rims are the strongest point of the wheelset while the hubs and such are decent and very adaptable to any kind of Sizing, Fitting, etc. I have heard and personally experience some Spokes breaking but they are easily put back in and trued (Rear Wheel, 2nd Spoke Replacement). The Rim itself after 2 years has been straight and true and can take a beating from Trail to DH. Believe me, these wheels have been abused and are still absolutely great. Weight is a little higher but rather know the Wheel won't snap then save some Grams. I also have no trouble taking my FR/DH/AM Bike up steep mountains with a 34T - 1x9 Gearing and wheels, and can always depend on these wheels to perform as expected. Overall, especially for the price, these wheelsets are good and can accommodate multiple changes in frames/components via Adaptors/Axle Changes.

Submitted by bmar a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Strengths:    Strong! These wheels take a beating time after time.

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have these wheels on my all mountain bike and they take a heavy beating in rock gardens and some drops and jumps. They have never let me down and Ive been riding for about a year now. If you are a weight weenie then these arent for you but if you want a wheel that you can set and forget then check these out.

Favorite Trail:   Culvert

Similar Products Used:   Revolution

Bike Setup:   Enduro 08

Submitted by ziglaf a All Mountain Rider from Rexburg, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely Durable
Not overly heavy
Fairly cheap
Look good

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
For what you're paying these are a great deal. Being a bigger rider I have always had issues with rims being strong enough for me. These have been great and I recommend them.

Similar Products Used:   Sun Single Track Rims

Bike Setup:   Custom Built, currently on a hardtail Kona Five-O

Submitted by Jerome a Cross Country Rider from Helena, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2011

Strengths:    Hustler graphics are sweet.

Weaknesses:    Spokes are breaking under XC riding conditions right out of the box.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this wheelset new and after two months of xc riding have broken three spokes; one on the front wheel and two on the back wheel. (who breaks front spokes?) I didn't notice when the first spoke broke but, I heard the second two spokes break. Both the second and third spokes broke while cornering at a moderate pace. I'm 175lbs and have the wheels on a Yeti 575. I'm not a racer, gravity rider, or dirt jumper; simply a fast and fun xc trail rider. These wheels are sold as being built for punishment but, the spokes at least are not built strong enough for standard xc riding.

Also, I sent two emails to Azonic via their website and have not heard a peep back from them... not good.

In my opinion, no one should purchase or rely on these wheels. Most people who would consider buying these wheels would be much harder on them than I am and if or when the spokes break they could be seriously hurt.

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast and flowy

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   XT

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 raceface and xt.

Submitted by woahey a Weekend Warrior from Sedona, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    These are very strong especially for their weight. My old wheels would need to be trued every other ride

Weaknesses:    Pinch flats are relatively easy to get, going tubeless will combat that. I didn't like the billboard decals so they were removed.

Bottom Line:
Strong wheels that have treated me right. Take drops and rocks well. Not terribly heavy if you don't have anorexic bike syndrome.

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Sun Ringle

Submitted by bvibert a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    Color options and convertible hubs.

Weaknesses:    Poor build quality and unreliable freehub design.

Bottom Line:
I had high hopes for these wheels, but I'm extremely disappointed with them. I first got a set of the white ones that seemed good at first, but then I kept breaking spokes and was having trouble keeping the wheel true. I ride mostly XC, and I'm not an overly aggressive rider, but I am a clyde. Then after only one summer's worth of riding the freehub let get on me. The geared ring inside of the hub came loose.

I sent them into Azonic who agreed to replace them with a new set. Only a few problems; They were the 'new' design with only 32 spokes instead of the 36 I had in the first set. They were also a generic black rim instead of the white rims I liked so much. Third was that it took them 4 months to get my replacement wheels to me. Granted I told them to take their time since it was the winter when I'm consumed with skiing, but it still seemed a bit excessive.

Hey at least I had a new set of wheels to use. This time I retensioned the wheels myself, since the tensions were all over the place out of the box. Eventually I started breaking spokes again anyway. I don't know if they just use really cheap spokes, or what. Then the freehub let go again in the same exact manner as the last time, again after only one summer's worth of riding (~400 miles). This time customer service was completely unresponsive to my inquiries as to whether it was still covered by warranty.

So now I'm stuck with a wobbly piece of wall art.

Submitted by jtm15 a Weekend Warrior from statecollege pa

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2011

Strengths:    good paint

Weaknesses:    rear rim is bad goes out of true of lots of spokes come loose

Bottom Line:
if you like untrue wheel or loose spoke they'd be perfect for you but if you want a strong wheel then no so good for you

Favorite Trail:   where ever im riding

Bike Setup:   azonic outlaws, specialized p2, bomber dj forks

Submitted by dave3200 a Weekend Warrior from Green Bay, WI

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    Color options.

Weaknesses:    They didn't last long for me.

Bottom Line:
I am very disappointed with these wheels. With all the reviews saying how great these wheels are, was the deciding factor to convince me to get Outlaws. I had them trued by a bike shop before putting on my Jackal. The first dirt jump I went off I had to bail. And it bent the front wheel, Beyond the point of repair. According to the bike shop. Then a few weeks later I hit a curb with my rear tire and popped the tire and bent the rear rim. From reading reviews that 300lbs guys jumping off 4ft drops with flat tires and the rims didn't even scratch! I was very disappointed. I am still using the wheels though. Bent and all. But I think I'm going to try Atomic Lab wheels next.

Favorite Trail:   Can't find one

Purchased At:   Chainreaction

Similar Products Used:   First set of wheels.

Bike Setup:   09 Jackal. Single speed.

Submitted by rausterer a Cross Country Rider from Portland, ME

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    Strong as BULL! look awesome (i got the white)stay true

Weaknesses:    Zilch

Bottom Line:
Awesome, Strong. Probably too strong for me but they are great!

Favorite Trail:   Eastern Kingdom