Atomlab Pimp Wheelset Wheelset

Price: $130-300 depending on hub and other options.

For 24" and 26" rims.

Submitted by nasty610 a Weekend Warrior from Goldsboro, NC USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely Strong, Roll Smooth, Low Maintenance, Spare Parts Readily Availible. I had to call AtomLab to place my order and the guys were a huge help. When I recieved everything in the mail I noticed I was short a couple bags of spokes. Once quick phone call and I had my spokes, more stickers than I knew what to do with and about 30 magazines overnighted to me. Even if the wheels sucked I'd give 5 chilis for customer service.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, the freehub is loud as hell I like it but some people will think its annoying.

Bottom Line:
I ordered all the parts from Atomlab 3 years ago because I wanted custom colors. Since I built them up they've been on 3 different bikes and never needed to be trued. I've ridden these on some really rocky fast trails in South Korea, done stair gaps, 10' to flat drops on concrete and ridden a lot of XC. I've never had one problem from these wheels. I'm getting ready to build my fourth bike and these wheels will be going on it. The only reason I would ever consider replacing them would be to shed some pounds.

Purchased At:   AtomLab Web Store

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle, Mavic, Shimano, DT Swiss

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 1.0 full LX group Fox 36 RC2

Submitted by mloewenstein a Racer from Durango colorado

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    wheels look great, are great for the price and are actually very tough.. for the first little while.

Weaknesses:    spokes blow out as if designed to do so. rim separation at the pin and bearings wont sit snug in the front wheel. cassette body doesnt want to stay tight. .

Bottom Line:
at the beginning of august i had the opportunity to test an atomlab pimp wheelset. it was awesome at first. for the first month i could not have said enough good things about them. they were on my dj/ street bike and in the sity they ripped. i enjoyed them so much in fact that i perused another pair for my freeride bike. thats when everything went downhill. i took around 2 weeks at a mtn resort and had the wheels on both bikes i brought. my first run on my free ride bike i cased a drop and separated the rim and the pins. i called atom lab and got no answer. to this day they are the worst customer service i have ever dealt with, in 5 years working with shops. i resorted to using my dj bike where they worked great. i had a long spell with no problems until i got an unfixable rattle in the front hub. the bearings refused to stay snug in the cups. nothing will get them to stay stationary, not loc tight, not a hydraulic press., nothing. since i moved to persue the mtn biking season i have blown a whole wheels worth of spokes, 100% of them at the nipple. why? i have no clue. the bottom line save your hard earned money and buy wheels that will last a season.

Favorite Trail:   back yard