Atomlab AirCorp Wheelset

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

MTB and BMX models

Submitted by Joey from new brighton, wirral, england

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    looks the badgers nadgers, strong, good bearings in hubs

Weaknesses:    errrrrr

Bottom Line:
unbeleivably strong. i weigh almost 16 stone, and i have had to get it trued once, basically because i was doing whips past 90 degrees and landing like that. i have used it very harshly for 1 year 2 months, and i had a 48 spoke halo SAS, which cracked after 10 months of use. buy these wheels, major bargain.

Favorite Trail:   anything street, dirt or 4X

Purchased At:   the bike shop, moreton

Similar Products Used:   mavic d521, halo SAS, sunn doublewide

Bike Setup:   identiti dr jekyll, shiver SC, atomlab aircorp wheels, 24seven bars, raceface north shore cranks, LX gearing

Submitted by Adam Mathews a Racer from Ingonish, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    They make me ride fast cuz i never worry about things breaking, wobbling, etc. After 6 months, I came to trust the wheels - what more do ya need.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
Great wheelset. Not too expensive, but not as cheap as some Shimano garbage either... they're in that nice comfortable middle ground between compromise and bling-bling idiocy. Raced on em for 6 months and they're true as the day they were born, er, I mean laced.

Favorite Trail:   Ol' Smokey

Purchased At:   Cycles Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Everything from King to Shimano Deore.

Bike Setup:   These are currently on my DMR Trailstar rigged up for 4by/2x racing.

Submitted by Mike Baker a Downhiller from Halifax, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Strengths:    Look sharp. Still in true after a season of racing. Also used the aircorps for my urban bike after blowing up a mavic521 from a stairset. They're held up fine on there too - but I think I need to spend some time on the wheel before racing again, they're getting pretty out of true.

Weaknesses:    Have you ever tried to contact atomlab? Don't. It's a waste of time. Same with their Canadian distributor, Yodobike.

Bottom Line:
They'll last anyone, I think. I've had a pair a bit over 1.5 years and they still look like they'll last another season at least. Maybe change the bearings in the hubs this year, and need to re-true them. But that seems to be it. I picked them up online pretty cheap (350canadian), so I'm real happy with the purchase -beats spending 700 or 800 on them new.

Favorite Trail:   hospital trail

Similar Products Used:   521, rhynolites, etc.

Bike Setup:   DH bike is a balfa BB7 with a RS boxxer team. Play bike is SC Chameleon with a Psylo SL.

Submitted by Kyle Aurley a Downhiller from SanDiego

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2004

Strengths:    Bolt on axels are stiff. Easiest way to get the lateral rigidity of through axels without getting a new frame and fork. All bearings still running fine and the freewheel still makes the cool 'whhhirrrrrringgg' sound - after 1 year of abuse. No flat spots on rims and the seam seems to be holding up okay.

Weaknesses:    the rims are pinned - not welded. But they've held up fine for a year... and I ride a lot of urban stuff in the winters - cased more than a few stair sets, and these things haven't exploded on me yet. Needed to re-work the wheel when new... poor build.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are great. I had to re-run 'em through my wheel truing stand when I picked em up for Xmass last year, seems they were built in a bit of a rush, as they were laterally and radially way out of true. Spent 30 minutes on em. Then checked the axle tension on the bearings, they were a bit too loose. Re-built that in about 45 minutes. seems most of the complaints below could have been fixed on the front end - before they were ridden.

Favorite Trail:   still looking...

Purchased At:   christmas present?

Similar Products Used:   most of the Mavic line. Arrows... a bunch of cheaper hoops too.

Bike Setup:   Balfa minuteman. 00 Z1 with bolt on arches. Aircorp wheelset with bling-bling tires. azonic 3piece crank. avid rear brake. no front brake (it's an urban bike).

Submitted by Mick Jonson a Downhiller from SLC

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Strengths:    light enough to race on. strong enough to beat up.

Weaknesses:    atomlab customer service is a joke. other than that, the wheelset is fine. surprised to hear the other reviews below.

Bottom Line:
They worked for me. They're not too expensive. You can climb with 'em, and still beat the heck of 'em on the way down.

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   321, 521, lots of XT hubs. wtb wheels, etc.

Bike Setup:   SC bullit. atomlab aircorp rims and hubs.

Submitted by John Dillard a Downhiller from San Clemente, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Looks sick, clicks loud(so hikers here you right before you run them over)

Weaknesses:    The bolts on the ends of the hub would always loosen, I broke the cassette cage(when i was pedaling, the cassette cage gave way under the load and would spin freely)

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend buying this wheel, I bought it from adrenaline bikes as the whole wheel with the aircorp rim(works great), but after three days of Snow Summit the hub gave way, now adrenaline bikes is special ordering the parts(i pray the warranty covers it, from the other reviews I read about atomic, they probably will not)), and they acted like it was bomb proof and would be the last wheel I would ever have to buy(it lasted two weeks). If you are interested in there rims then just buy a shimano hub and have them laced. My stock shimano hub has been going for a year with no problems(just me destroying the mavic rim).

Favorite Trail:   Log Chute(Big Bear)

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   mavic d321, bombshell fatboys, 24" double wides

Bike Setup:   2002 Stinky dee-lux,2003 jr.t, 2003 evil srs chainguide

Submitted by Doug Brummett a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Look tuff

Weaknesses:    Aren't tuff

Bottom Line:
Following up on my previous review. I have taken these wheels apart and rebuilt using the rims onto nicer hubs.

Rear hub is still going strong, but swapped it to my SS so I could use the bolted axle.

Front hub sucked from the start. I began to get annoyed with the front hub right around the time I wrote my first review. I noticed that the wheel wasn't rigid in the forks. Even with the axle tight and everything locked down I could still grab the wheel and tug it side to side. There was a noticeable clunk/play in the hub. Upon inspection I noted that nothing was actually wrong with it other than the design. The way that the cones and spacer pass through the hub allows things to shift. Not a good thing IMO. I got rid of this hub. No love lost there.

The rims are still doing fine. They aren't the highest quality, but they get the job done. Only time I am bothered by them is when I am truing them. That is when the poor rim joint finishing and wobbley side walls are abnoxious. Again, not the end of the world but not something I would recommend to a friend.

Favorite Trail:   ucsc trails

Similar Products Used:   d321 wheelset with onyx hubs, 521 wheelset with hayes hubs

Bike Setup:   freeride hardtail

Submitted by felix? a Downhiller from chicago

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    look cool

Weaknesses:    weak as hell

Bottom Line:
ive had these rims for less than 6 months and ive had 6 spokes pop! i plan on switchin these out for some real rims cause these SUCK

Favorite Trail:   palos hills

Purchased At:   175.00

Submitted by Doug Brummett a Weekend Warrior from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2003

Strengths:    Look tuff in all black with a few white decals. 20mm front wheel available. Realatively inexpensive wheelset for free ride setup.

Weaknesses:    They aren't light, rear came not dished correctly, don't hold true very well.

Bottom Line:
While I do think that these wheels are a good deal I don't find them to be exceptionally strong. My hand built wheelset would hold true better and was also about a pound lighter for the set. Maybe with some tlc from a good mechanic they will hold up for a while.

I noticed that the rear came from the factory about 5-10mm out of dish. This makes the wheel sit off center in the frame. I decided to throw them on my bike and ride instead of spending time truing up a "new" wheelset. I noticed the rear wheel had some side to side wobble by the end of the first ride. Now, a couple of weeks in, the front also has some side to side. Nothing to write home on, but they could use a true. This isn't a big deal for me as a mechanic, but for other riders trowing down $30 on a nearly new wheelset for truing might be a bummer.

For now I am treating these as thrasher wheels and intentionally beating on them. Time will tell. If they withstand for a year or so I will be back with a follow up review.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Santa Cruz

Similar Products Used:   typically I hand build my wheels. My last comprable set was 521 rims, hayes hubs, and st 14ga spokes.

Bike Setup:   Bombshell Sputnik slalom/dirt jumper, Atom labs wheels & stem, profile cranks, marzocchi dirt jumper fork

Atomlab Aircorp rear hub, Spoke hole daimeter????

I've been trying to find the spoke hole diameter for the atomlab aircorp rear hub, does anyone have this hub and know what size spokes they are running, I'm looking to run a 2.38mm spoke diameterRead More »

Atomlab Aircorp 20mm Hub Adapters (NEED)

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have the 20mm 05-06 screw in front hub adapters??? I called atomlab and Mike is going to see if he can find me some, but i thought i would check here also. Thanks JRead More »

Atomlab Aircorp tubless conversion using stans - possible?

Has anyone converted a set of Atomlab aircorp wheels (32mm) to tubeless using a stans freeride strip? Anything to watch out for or is it pretty straight forward? Appreciate it! JRead More »

Aircorp flats

Here's another one for the peers to chime in on, although I don't think it will generate the discussion yesterdays did. I installed a pair of Aircorp flats to try out yesterday. One thing I noticed right away is that they seemed really tight. I backed the bolt out a bit, and noticed a coupe thi ... Read More »

Atomlab aircorp 20mm to 9mm options

i have a set of atomlab aircorp wheels coming on tuesday. They are brand new and from 2005 - 2006. The rear is a 135mm / 10mm bolt on. The front is a ?mm / 20mm thru axle. I have a '08 Fox Vanilla RLC 32 fork that i need to mount the front wheel to. I know atomlab makes adapters, but they a ... Read More »