American Classic Wide Lightning 29 Wheelset

• Rims: MTB Wide lightning Tubeless Aluminum Disc Rims 29”
  • Brake Interface: 6 Bolt International Standard

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight, tracking, tubeless

Weaknesses:    Rear hub engagement

Bottom Line:
Purchased these for mainly fast flowing single track in dry conditions with some roots & rocks. I do not race, just try to ride as fast as possible for fun, fitness & destressing from work.

Replaces a set of Giant S-XC2 w tubes (both wheel sets have Bronson 2.2) cut 2.11 lbs off my bike, feels more nimble at speed. Tracks better in loose stuff. Setup was much easier than I expected, followed the instructions and had no problem, set beads with a floor pump. Running pressures in the low 20s psi (as advised in an online review) really made my bike feel slow. Moved up to 26R/24F, better but still not as fast as 30R/28F that I initially started with (that is what I ran with tubes).

Does the width really make a big difference? Hum, I'm on the fence about that one so far. Maybe fall and wet leaves on the trail will change my mind. I will say it has not hurt handling. With less unsprung weight the bike comes off the ground easier coming out of dips but they hook up quickly when I land. Would have to ride a set of light standard width wheels to decide if the wide rim or the weight loss helped the bike the most.

No complaints about the front wheel, 5 Flamin' Chilis here.

Really dislike the rear hub though, sometimes it feels like the pawls are never going to engage. Hub really rattles over the rough stuff when coasting. Of the 7 mountain bike wheel sets owned in 25+ years of mountain biking, this is the only hub I find annoying. Next time I sent my suspension off to be rebuilt, the rear hub is getting replaced. The rear gets 2 Flamin' Chilis.

Bottom line, if somebody buys a set of Wide Lightnings are they going to have an "OH MY GOD" moment the first time down the trail - probably not, especially if they own a good set of light wheels to start with. Will they find better handling here if they are an experienced rider - I think so but it will be subtle.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Duration Product Used:   month

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9, Bronson 2.2 tubeless, 15mm front, QR9 135 rear, Sram 2 x 10, Fox 32 100 mm, Fox RP23, carbon bar, Origin 8 seat (was a temporary seat I ended up really liking & never took off), Time pedals. 28 lbs

Submitted by Odd Ivar Lindlov a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2014

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    Most crap wheelset ever - unless you don't ride on the road. Like always.

Bottom Line:
Used it for about 70 hours on XC type terrain on a hardtail. Front wheel kept pretty true but got pretty bulky. Rear wheel broke down (hub cracked) in a climb. My weight is about 78 kg and riding style is, needless to say, smooooth.

Duration Product Used:   70 hrs