American Classic Non Disc Brake 350 Wheel Wheelset

3.75/5 (4 Reviews)

-American Classic mountain bike wheels have taken cross country riding and racing to a higher level of performance. Bill Shook believes MTB riding is faster and more enjoyable with lightweight and durable equipment. To solve the problems associated with bloated MTB wheelsets, Bill Shook came up with a revolutionary deep section rim design that is 22mm wide x 24mm high.
Available in 26” or 29” and Singlespeed

Submitted by Kris a Racer from Regina, SK, CA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Light!
Stiff enough.
Rear hub hasn't died, knock on wood! :D

Weaknesses:    Rims look cheap as the braking surface isn't as nicely machined as, say, Mavic.

Bottom Line:
These are increadibly light wheels for the price, lighter than Xmax for 1/2 the cost! The hubs spin very fast, and the rear engagement of the 2006 models is fast and precise. Both my front and rear wheels were slightly out of true out of the box, a quick fix. My rear came out of true again after the first real ride, after truing they have remained true for my first 4 races of the year, including staying bombing over some nasty rock gardens under my 150lbs.

The braking surface sucks, it's soft so the metal will disengage from the rim in nasty conditions. Also the braking surface is increadibly narrow meaning I've eaten into the black paint in places after some muddy rides.

All in all a great weight weenie wheelset, the lack of rotational weight is very noticable when changing directions and I do seem to climb one gear higher, at the same cadence, compared to my heavy Crossland wheels. If you're heavy, or don't race, I'd pass on these wheels. However if your a light racer on a not very high budget these should be a good set of hoops. If they last me 2 seasons of racing I'll be happy, until then 4 chilis from me.

Purchased At:   SpeedGear Bike Shop ebay store

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossland, 32 spokers, etc

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain hartail build light for XC racing.

Submitted by Mike from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light Weight

Weaknesses:    Horibble braking surface chunking.

Bottom Line:
On the very first ride, the braking surface began to chunk off and stick in my brake pads causing the rims to look as though they had several thousand miles of hard braking on them. They are completely unrideable, and I've never seen anything like it. I am an experienced mechanic with lots of wheelbuilding and shop experience. Never have I seen anything like this. To top it off American Classic won't do a thing about it. Horrible product.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Everything

Submitted by chris yack a Cross Country Rider from malverne ny 11565

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    extremely light, rolls fast, quiet, standard parts, just stiff enough, machined braking surface

Weaknesses:    have not found any yet

Bottom Line:
tried crossmax sl's and disc brakes...just not for me..set up was a full pound heavier than AM Classics and rim brakes..I ride the AM Classic 350's & 420's on my road bike..love them!
These mtb wheels are fantastic..high flange hubs and deep section rims means that the spokes are shorter..so the wheels are stiffer..also they use 32 spokes front and rear and they cross them..no radial lacing here..much better steering. I also like the machined braking surface..ceramic coating can chip and flake off.
Nothing improves a bike more than good light wheels..These wheels roll very fast..lighter wheels are also easier to stop..The wheels use standard spokes..so any shop can fix them..I've had problems in the past with Mavic wheels failing and having to wait weeks for replacement parts.
This will not be the case with the AM Classics..I have had great experiences with AM Classics customer service.
What can I say..I'm a huge fan of their products..There are fancier wheels out there..but for pure performance and ease of maintenance..no one beats AM Classic

Purchased At:   AM Classic direct

Similar Products Used:   Mavic Crossmax SL..Cane Creek Wams..both great wheelsets

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SL..Fox F80RLT Fox RP3..XTR.Magura HS33 rim braks

Submitted by Dan Davis a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Or

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight and very strong

Weaknesses:    non so far

Bottom Line:
I just don’t know why people are not flocking to American Classic? These are the best set of MTB wheels I have had, strong & light with little maintenance, and they cost a lot less then wheels like the Mavic Crossmax’s. I have to say we have very smooth trails here in Bend but we also have some very nasty sharp lava rock, And then ad a good sand pit for fun! I have had these wheels for two years now and I have never had to put them on the truing stand! And that’s something!
Go take a look I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Dan…