American Classic MTB Tubeless Wheelset

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

American Classic president Bill Shook’s award winningTubeless cross country rim system has provedTo be a magical combination of light weight as well as strength, stiffness and control.The newTubeless rim is light and at 26mm wide x 23mm deep. It is wider, stiffer and supportsTheTire better for improved ground control.ThisTranslates into quick acceleration, more speed over rolling hills and mountain goat climbing.The wide rim keepsTheTire from rolling around resulting in more control while

Submitted by allthegearnoidea a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2014

Strengths:    Very light wheelset for the rider weight limit,
Strong wheels, Take a Beating,
Only had to true three time in 3 1/2 years,
Easy Tubeless fitting,
Super fast rolling bearings,
Quick engagement freehub,
Very easy for maintaining,
Fantastic wheelset!!

Weaknesses:    the AM classic tubeless valves are weak, had 2 snap/shear on me when connecting my hand pump out on trails, resulting in a tube to carry on, - Any tubeless person will tell you, reverting to a tube makes the bike feel Very Odd!!
That's the only negative i can think off!

Bottom Line:
I've been riding these wheels for 3 1/2 years now on my 130mm Hardtail and at 100kg pre kit, they are Amazing wheels, they take a lot of abuse, being a heavy rider with a Heavy riding style and spend a fair amount of time sat on the saddle, running Low pressures - 20psi front, 25-30 rear, they take quite a lot of bumps from roots and rocks but in the time, I've had 4 -5 rim dings! i have had to true them 3 times in the time I've owned them and all true's have been less than 5mm out,
They roll amazingly well, I've had to replace 2 of the bearings in the rear wheel and replaced the freehub body twice, first time due to wear, second time due to Only replacing the hub body and not both that and the pawls, - My mistake!
i have had to replace the front wheel tubeless tape due to one Rim ding from Sub 20psi on a 2.35" tyre but apart from that i have Not had to touch the front at all!! not even a minor true! the rear had new tape a while back due to one ding, again from Low pressures and flimsy sidewalls, All of which have been Rider error and no fault of the wheels,
Sadly i hve now Mullered the rear rim, collapsed the internal structure due to landing on a submerged Sharp rock and due to 25psi, In fairness, if i had a tube and 45psi i would have still done such, a trailside straighten of the bead lip and a tube had another 3 hours riding though, so not all bad! ;-)
Overall i Would highly recommend these wheels to Anyone, Especially those higher up in the weight side, Most wheelsets 100-200g Heavier have an 80kg weight limit, these are Light and strong and have a Much more realistic rider limit!
Amazing wheelset, Couldn't ask for better!!

Favorite Trail:   My local woods, Local Coast path and Poldice valley

various Alex wheel sets

Bike Setup:   Cotic Soul, 130mm forks, AMclassic wheels, Hutchinson toro tyres,

Submitted by Brian412 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2014

Strengths:    Very lightweight and strong. Hard to get a similarly stiff and lightweight wheel without spending a ton more money on carbon wheels. These roll forever!

Weaknesses:    Not the fastest engagement but I can live with that. American Classic discontinued all 26" wheels in 2014.

Bottom Line:
These are the 26" AC MTB Tubeless wheels with ceramic bearings. 15mm thru-axle up front and 135qr for the rear.

These came all ready to go for a tubeless setup. Just had to install the valve stem and tires. Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires had to be seated using an air compressor. Once seated with a few ounces of stans fluid, the tires have been completely airtight.

I ride these pretty hard; good size jumps and drops. These have taken a beating in the few hundred miles that I already put on these. I've had no problems with burping, or dents. These have stayed perfectly true even after some rough landings and hits. The best part about these wheels besides how stiff and light they are, is how fast they roll. It's amazing. They just keep rolling and rolling. With the light weight, they accelerate so fast! I'm amazed at how much my times have dropped on my local trails. I dropped a pound and a half of weight on my bike by switching out the stock wheelset, tubes, and tires, and going tubeless with the AC wheels and Ardent tires!

It's a shame that AC has dropped the entire 26" line of wheels. But, I was able to get a discontinued set with the ceramic bearing upgrade for a really great deal. Usually retailed for $850.

Bike Setup:   2011 Giant Trance X3

Submitted by JakeSch

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff, light, strong, lots of cool features

Weaknesses:    ease of tubeless use, engagement.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding these for over a month and feel I have enough miles on them to make an honest judgment. I have a set of king/arch ex wheels I have been swapping back and forth on my intense tracer 29 and santa cruz highball.

Stiffness - They are super stiff. The arch EX are really stiff too, but I could not feel the notorious rear end flex on the tracer until I put these on. Just incredible. On the Highball they absolutely fly. To tag the oft quoted line "it climbs like a 26er" these wheels really do provide the same kind of performance metrics I expected out of 26in racing wheels.

Durability - I have hucked them on the tracer, and they are still as straight and true as the day I put them on. I am also a really sloppy jumper to they have met many unkind landings and held true.

Features - From the cool skewers, high quality valves, and sharp rotor reinforcing ring these wheels have great value. It is very simple to switch out axles for different drops and I dig the red spokes to guide you to the valve. I didnt know how much time I waste looking for the valve stem until I go to pump up 2 different bikes and find myself looking for the red.

Weaknesses
Bead Barb - I get that they are trying there hand at making a bead hook to match stan's, but they havent hit the mark. If you are running nonUST tires do yourself a favor and make friends with your neighbor with the compressor, you are going to need it. Panaracer, Maxxis, and Schwalbe tires are all hit or miss on pumping with a floor pump. I can get the same tires to hook up in seconds with the Stan's Arch EX rims. Not a problem if you can get a compressor....

Hub Engagement - Yeah, this is the big complaint with AM Classic wheels and I have to agree. There is just too much slop in the freehub for good tight technical work. The King ring drive makes tip toeing through rock gardens a breeze, the low POE of these hubs makes the same section tedious and often times unclearable. With that said, I do appreciate how fast the rear hub spins. You can have super fast spinning wheels or high POE wheels, but not both. For a race wheelset I'll take these any day. Less fun in the technical stuff, but they are smoking fast everywhere else.

Overall great wheels, if you know about the POE and accept the compromise you will not regret this purchase. These wheels put all my old 29er wheels from 5-6 years ago to shame.

American Classic MTB 26 Tubeless advice

I want to go with a tubeless wheelset and was told that this 1486 gram wheelset was very durable and good for XC racing. Any advice or experience with this wheelset would be welcomed. Thanks.Read More »

American Classic wheels - Terrain 26 and MTB Tubeless 26

Anyone have any experience with either of these wheels? I can probably get a deal on a set and I have a birthday coming up. I don't know if the deal I can get will be good enough to justify the Tubeless set, though. I'm especially curious to know if anyone knows the weight of the different ri ... Read More »

Hutchinson Python NG Tubeless-Ready MTB Tire

What do you think of these? I can get them cheap today 20$ each. Normally 60$ each. I am in need of new XC tires and to date I'm running the stock fast tracks that came on my 2007 Rockhopper Pro. I'm a weekend warrior to aspiring racer. Please advise!!!Read More »

Tubeless mtb floor pump

I just got[URL="http://www.lezyne.com/alloy-dirt-floor-drive"] this[/URL] in the mail yesterday, and it looks promising. I say promising because I don't have a new tire to mount tubeless, and a broken in tire mounts easily. It will inflate a 29er 2.1 Ignitor from 0 to 30 psi in 23 pumps. 6 to inflat ... Read More »

American Classic MTB 26 Disc Tubeless vs. NoTubes ZTR Crest w/ DT Swiss 240s

[B]American Classic MTB 26 Disc Tubeless[/B] [URL="http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb26disc.php"]http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/mtbwheels/mtb26disc.php[/URL] [B]NoTubes ZTR Crest w/ DT Swiss 240s[/B] Can be built up on Chain Reaction cycles w/ DT Swiss Revolution Spokes. B ... Read More »