American Classic MTB Disc 26 Wheelset

• Quick Release: Cro-moly
  • Spacing: 135mm
  • Bearings Rear: 6803 C3 sealed stainless steel

American Classic MTB Disc 26 Wheelset Pro Review

The AC MTB Tubeless wheelset, also known as known as the ‘MTB Disc Tubeless’, are available in both a 26 inch and 29 inch size on a 26mm wide 32 hole aluminum tubeless rim, and come in either Alphatype White or Crest Black. The wheels come outfitted with black 14/15 gauge steel spokes with silver aluminum nipples in a 3 cross pattern. The hubs come with a few options, foremost is a front 15mm thru axle. The tubeless rims come pre-taped with 25mm yellow tape, and valves. All the hubs use the ubiquitous 6 bolt IS interface. Continue reading →

Submitted by DennisK a Cross Country Rider from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2010

Strengths:    Light, stiff and good looking. Good value for money.

Weaknesses:    The rear hub's pawls fail to fully engage at times. Claimed a replacement under warranty. CRC reacted promptly and passed the request on to AC's distributor. Yesterday I received word that the manufacturer and the rep will replace the entire wheelset as a sign of goodwill. It is normal for equipment to fail. It's great when the manufacturer and its distributors stand behind their products. Many thanks to American Classic, their British representative and of course CRC for the great service.

Bottom Line:
The wheels are great for xc use. I don't know how they will standup to the test of time (and my aggressive style of riding) - more on that in the months to come. Five chilis for lightness and stiffness and five chilis for customer service.

Favorite Trail:   Tons

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Alex, Mavic, Mach1

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caffeine frame, X-9 & XT drive train, Rockshox Sid fork, SLX crankset, Juicy brakes

Submitted by onza a Racer from Santa Clarita,CA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, stiff, light, "Bling" factor, hubs spin soooo smooth...and tubeless!

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
So far so VERY GOOD! I like these at least as much as my SLR's on my race bike. Not a bad price for such a nice wheelset. Wish they came with Ti skewers but stock ones aren't bad. Also, so far the regular Rocket Ron's tires I'm running tubeless (w/ stan's sealant) work and ride AWESOME!

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear, CA

Purchased At:   Speed Goat Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mavic SLR, Ellsworth XC, Stans

Bike Setup:   Pivot Mach 4 w/ XO drive train, Avid Elixir CR Mag brakes, Ritchey WCS stem, Race Face Next carbon bar, Thomson post

Submitted by Jon Bonavente a Cross Country Rider from QC Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2009

Strengths:    FAST, few grams lighter than the VERY expensive XTR wheelset

Weaknesses:    Mavic Disc

Bottom Line:
Want SPEEED? Buy a pair now! With the MTB 26 Disc, climbs will be a lot easier and decends will be extremely faster. Great product!

Favorite Trail:   Le Mesa, Camp Aguinaldo

Purchased At:   Easton Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, Thomson (stem,post & seat collar), Ritchey Carbon WCS handlebar, Prologo, full XTR

Submitted by pktrain a Racer from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    Light, strong, relatively inexpensive, conventional design means they're easy to maintain and get parts for...and they're FAAAAAAST...

Weaknesses:    Limited options for tubeless conversion, rims seem to dent easily, negative rep for having bad bearings in the past

Bottom Line:
These are amazing wheels. I've had them for 2 years and they are the fastest mountain bike wheels I have ever ridden. The bearings are liquid smooth and tight. The wheels haven't needed any maintenance after many hard rides in all conditions and crashes. I have no idea why more people don't ride these wheels. The new white version adds bling factor as well. In my opinion these should be the industry standard in terms of weight, strength, and overall cost.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Lots of high-end mix-and-match handbuilt wheels

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98, Fox F/R suspension, XTR

Submitted by Fandascious a Cross Country Rider from Western Cape South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Weight, Price, econimical to maintain.

Weaknesses:    Wheels can flex a bit, not for riders over 85kg.

Bottom Line:
Great wheels for the price, bearings cheap and easy to maintain, lighter than SLR or XTR wheels that are double the price. No problem with 2 years of riding although I don't do dropoffs with these wheels.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Valley

Purchased At:   new in the classifie

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laserdisc XC, Mavic 317 with Dt Swiss Hubs, MAvic x119 with formula hubs, Alex rims with noname hubs

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 1, Thompson Seatpost

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from CO

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Strengths:    the click sound(awesome hub,strong,nice looking

Weaknesses:    like some people said, the rim is a little bit thicker, so longer valve on a tube is required, also the thicker rim gave more surface area for the rock to hit and easier to make dents, but this is mountain bike stuff, how could dents be avoid?

Bottom Line:
i've been using those wheelset for awhile, about a year and half, i don't know about the weight or anything, cuz i never care about that as long as it's strong and do what i give it to do. amazingly after all kinds of false landing of jumps about 1-1.5 foot high, i'm still pretty sure it's straight, i checked before (not perfectly straight but you know, tiny tiny bit) and once i totally screwed up on a 5 footer with that, it's still good(the front tire is not line up with the handle bar, i landed front first)! i would recommend this to ...hmm i think those who are willing to push a little bit harder, higher, faster but not like downhill or stuff like that, they r great, but of course there are better wheelset, juz i've never tried them before, but these definitely worth buying! ONE LAST THING! if u love the loud clicking noise from the hub, these will definitely give u some, the paws inside the hub still roars after all those riding from the past 1 and half year!

Purchased At:   from a manager in the factory

Similar Products Used:   WTB razor DH(awesome choice, but the rear wheelset has through axel, need some special frame), some shimano wheelsets (rhino light?)

Bike Setup:   some Astro frame(also used on Cake from Gary fisher), RS nameless fork, maxxis holly roller, truvative hozfeller with hozzelfelt mix together

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, fast roller.

Weaknesses:    New model has narrower rims, you need tubes with longer valves. Still no bling factor.

Bottom Line:
This is my second pair, following up my first review on a Giant NRS-G setup. On a hardtail, this wheelset is FAST!!! Spinning is easy and smooth. I don't need to say anymore as the other users have said everything. A third pair?...hmmmm

Favorite Trail:   Maarat, Sierra Madre, Montalban

Purchased At:   Extreme Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC hybrid, Rockshox Sid, Juicy 7, Sram X9 group.

Submitted by Lucas H from Missoula, MT USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    Wicked light, look good, and a nice set of wheel skewers is included.

Weaknesses:    I use Stans and the rims are a little narrow. When I get air the tire sometimes burps out air on landings. Decals easily scratched

Bottom Line:
These wheels are incredibly light. My bike weighs 27lbs but with these wheels it feels more like 25lb. I have ridden these wheels very hard on the rocky single track of Southern California, multiple visits to downhill runs at ski areas, and lots of XC. These wheels are still straight. I am 6'2 and probably weigh 210 w/gear. I have never jumped these and don't plan on it. Not because I am worried about breaking them but I tend to hurt myself. Only gave 4 chili's due to the issue with the Stan's and nothing is really perfect. I would recommend this wheelset to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Woods Gulch

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Mavic

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575. If I told you the rest of the parts you would be sick.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Avondale,AZ

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, Smooth Bearings, Stiff

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
So far a great set of wheels. Smooth,smooth. I use my brakes a lot more on the downhill as these wheels really get moving. I can climb in a larger gear than before. Best upgrade I could have done. I ride on rough trails and no issues yet. Still true and roll like butter. Very happy.
For the price I'm not sure you can beat this set, even at the suggested $750. I have the Sapim spokes but I'm not sure they make a difference except in the weight. They are bladed but I don't see that as much of an issue in XC as the speeds are not usually that high, at least for me.
They will be my full time wheels and hopefully they workout as my race season starts. Couldn't be happier so far.

4 Chili overall is simply because nothing is perfect. I would go 4.8 if they had it.

Favorite Trail:   Estrella Race course

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Sun Ringle DS2 XC with Pivit hubs

Bike Setup:   Stock minus wheels

Submitted by Johnny a Cross Country Rider from Pleasanton

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness, build quality. This is a first-rate product. It's as if "quality control" is a virtue and not just a buzz phrase. VERY LITE!!!!

Weaknesses:    Need long-stem presta tubes (need at leat 40 mm stems or your field pumb won't work!). Spec doesn't allow for less than 35 PSI.

Bottom Line:
This is one of my best MTB purchases. They replaced my way-too-heavy Maxic 321s, which are OEM for the Blur LT "R" build. I had thought long and hard about top-shelf Mavic this and DT Swiss that, but at the end of the day, this product has served me well. I weigh 175 lbs w/ my gear, and I ride X-country. My thing is I like to bomb fire roads as fast as my tires will grip. I don't do a lot of drops and jumps, so I don't know if these rims will hold up to that. I live on the West Coast of Cali, so that means 3 miles of climbing, followed by 3-infinity miles of rolling hills/semi-legal single track, and then 2-3 miles of fire road bombing. Most of the trails I ride are well maintained, but I do encounter the occasional rock garden with baby heads. I'd still take my bike to Moab and "be careful", and I wouldn't worry about busting these wheels. With 2.3" of rubber around them, they'll be just fine! Anyhoo, after about 6 months of ownership, they are still in PERFECT TRUE!!! And, yes, as others have mentioned, they roll, and roll, and roll. After I initially installed them, I gave my front well a healthy spin, letting it roll. I went my backyard for about five minutes, returning to a still-spinning wheel--I $hit you not! I like these so much, I'm seriously considering the 29" version for my Mary SS. I'd surely recommend these to anybody who rides fast cross country or anybody who races. I really don't anticipate any problems. Value rating, I'll give 'em 5 Chilis. Overall, they get a 4 because they can't do everything. But those 4 chilis are tasty habanero peppers!

Favorite Trail:   Salamon Falls

Purchased At:   on line

Similar Products Used:   Maxic 321.

Bike Setup:   '07 Blur LT. Vanilla, XT, yada, yada, yada.

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from Marikina, Philippines

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, conservative look but one of a kind aero rim design, spins very very very very very very fast to the point I don't have to pedal as much as other riders, excellent for climbing, rigid and precise road and trail feel, smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth bearings (wonder what if it's equipped with ceramic bearings and DT Swiss Revolution spokes, the weight will drop down to 1,395 grams)

Weaknesses:    conservative look (depends on the person, difficult to clean the hubs where the spokes meets, decal can be easily scratched and easily noticeable

Bottom Line:
This is one of my best buys in terms of performance, weight and durability. I've owned these for almost 6 months on a 4 to 5 day use including aggressive XC riding. It can take the jumps, bumps, turns, heavy braking and hard acceleration when needed without fear of falling apart. My friends told me to be careful due to the unbelievable weight of only 1,405 grams, lighter than the XTR wheel set, Mavic Crossmax SLR, DT Swiss, etc. You want bang for the buck, this wheel set is it. I still sometimes consider the what ifs of buying a more expensive, popular and full of bling factor wheel sets everytime I see one. My American Classic is a conservative looking but very recognizable even from afar. The performance and very low price is what keeps me from buying the more beautiful full of bling wheel sets. This what gives me my added edge during long climbs given my 195 lb frame. This wheel set will make any bike feel light and nimble.

Favorite Trail:   Boso Boso

Purchased At:   John Wilkie

Similar Products Used:   Alex rims

Bike Setup:   Merida Mission 2000D, Fox Vanilla 130 RLC, X-Fusion RL 02, all XTR group set, Thompson seat post and Stem, Synchros head set, Maxm MX5 handle bar, Jagwire shifter cables, Selle Italia Felante seat, American Classic MTB 26 disc, Alligator wind cutter disc, Panaracer Fire XC pro,

Submitted by Wietse a Racer from Tilburg, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very stiff, light and strong

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
I am amazed at how fast I can ride my favorite trails with these wheels. They just keep on rolling! There's a lot of difference in comparison to my Mavic 717 wheels especially when climbing and accelerating.
They are stiffer than you would expect from a wheelset this light.
Can't say much about durability since I've only used them for two weeks, but they have held up to 200 miles of agressive trail riding without any problems.
After the first ride I had to true both wheels, but I think that's normal for a set of machine-built wheels.
Bottom line: These wheels make me want to go mountainbiking every day so if you can find them for a good price I highly recommend them!

Favorite Trail:   Drunense duinen