American Classic MTB 29 Wheelset

3.17/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 1535 grams MSRP : $765.00

Attention all XC racers, The American Classic MTB 29" Wheelset may just be the stiffest 29er option on the market. The expertly engineered, stiff rim not only helps you power over obstacles with precise steering, but at 26mm wide it produces a wide contact patch and squeezes the highest performance out of your tires.

Submitted by DirtEater29er a Racer from Wisconsin Rapids

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2010

Strengths:    Price, Weight, Looks, Customer Service

Weaknesses:    Extremely weak rims, made in china, cannot replace just the rims

Bottom Line:
The wheels were great for only about three months. I only weigh 150 pounds and for some reason I have a past record or destroying American Classic rims. It wasn’t a big deal, but when I went to order a new rim, I found out they do not sell just the rims. American Classic wanted me to send the hub to Florida and they would rebuild the wheel. Between their charges and shipping it would cost more than a new wheel. My theory is that they do not have rims laying around and send out a whole new Chinese wheel so the company can get by with having only a couple of people in Florida. Not offering rims and outsourcing to China is a bad business decision, especially since they are weak. My fiancé and dad are building 29ers this winter, they are going to pay extra money and weight penalty to have a working wheel, probably Stans or Sun Ringle, Black Flag Pro.

Favorite Trail:   Levis Mount

Components: Sram XX
Weight: 22 pounds

Submitted by Rewi a Cross Country Rider from Louisiana

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Light, bling factor

Weaknesses:    Light - don't use if you're over 190

Bottom Line:
Super light, these things weigh about the same as a pair of socks.
Loved riding them, unfortunately it seems I overburdened them a little. Every ride sees a new dent or kink. Also had two endos from front tire unseating however this could have been the Racing Ralphs I was running - I could pull them on and off the rim by hand even when brand new.
Still giving this product 4 stars because I know a lot of people who weigh less than my 195lbs that have had a great run out of them.
AC All Mountain or Stans for me.

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Ridgeline

Submitted by epxhammerhead a Cross Country Rider from watkinsville , ga, usa

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    seem moderately light, look good

Weaknesses:    broke spoke after 6th ride, moderate xc rides only , totalling about 120 miles

Bottom Line:
broke a spoke only after 6 moderate rides

Favorite Trail:   ft. yargo

Purchased At:   bicyle haus, arizona

Similar Products Used:   26" xtr/mavic

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD9

Submitted by DLH from Washington

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight... spin up well... tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found except a bit of a loud ratchet. But KK hubs have a similar problem.

Bottom Line:
I don't know what the previous reviewer's problems where but I ride in the PNW. We have a lot of roots, rocks and other technical problems, including a lot of mud and water. This wheelset made a different accelerating bike out of my 29er. They spin up - they ride smoothly - they seem very durable. I don't do any drop over 3-4' but I do not shy away from any sort of rocky or tech riding. As an example I just rode 80% of gooseberry mesa with these wheels last week with no problems whatsoever, anywhere on any of the more or less difficult technical or lumpy sections of the North or South rims -- I unfortunately didn't have time to do it all -- my significant other allowed me the day on our spring break holiday, so I was happy for the time I got. In my opinion this is a fine wheelset with quality hubs and quality rims, and I recommend them highly.

Similar Products Used:   Everything in 26" that is usful for all mountain riding. Only other set of 29er wheels I have used are XT/Velocity blunts - which are also a good but heavy wheelset.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula 2-9 -- XT drivetrain -- RS forks -- thompson cockpit -- KK headset. Pretty standard fair with an eye to quality and durability. I've been riding for over 20 years and I am not a light weight - although I do know how to ride.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Cedars

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2007

Weaknesses:    Rims are weak and dent very easily, not to be used by anyone who rides rocky mtb conditions. Road and hardpack conditions only. Also had continuous problems with rear hub bearings loosening up, had to adjust bearings often.

Bottom Line:
Would not purchase another AC wheel

Similar Products Used:   Mavic, Easton, WTB, Did not have any of the same problems with these wheels

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 spot, set up for all mountain/cross country

Submitted by unSane a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2006

Strengths:    Very, very light, lively wheelset. Seem strong and well-built.

Weaknesses:    Early version of rear hub had problems, now fixed by recall. Quick release design not the best I've used.

Bottom Line:
These wheels are bafflingly light but seem extremely strong. I am 190lb and like to pop off 1-2' jumps and have had no problems. They really do transform the ride when compared to the much heavier WTB wheelset. If you are hucking off 3' drops every day I would probably look for another product but for fast trail riding of rooty/rocky terrain I heartily recommend these wheels. Next to the frame, these wheels will make the most difference to your ride of any component upgrade IMO. 4 chilis for value because they are somewhat expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails/Kolapore