American Classic All Mountain 29 Tubeless Wheelset

Bill Shook (AC president) applied his signatureTubeless designToThe new,Tougher, roll over everything All Mountain 29er.The newTubeless 29” rim is light and at 28mm wide x 23mm deep, it is wider, stiffer and supportsTheTire for improved ground control.The All Mountain wheels withstandTheTortures of high speeds, reaccelerating, drops and downhills without compromising nimble handling.The stiff front axle system resists fork flex. Bead barbTechnology hooks onTheTire beadTo help keepTheTire i

Submitted by Ryan a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Light, smooth, decent hub sound. Extemely easy to convert tubeless, good customer support.

Weaknesses:    Broken 3 valves, weak side walls,

Bottom Line:
I have used these wheels primarily for racing and training. They came standard on my Jamis Dakar 29er Team. Very easy to convert tubeless. I put in some stans and pumped with a floor pump. Few rims that I have worked with are ths easy to convert. This is likely secondary to AC's excllent rim tape. Holds great air.

However, I have ridden numerous other tubeless wheels over the last 5 years- mavic, crank brothers cobalt, XTR, and I have never had as many issues with a rim as these. They periodically need truing every couple of months and that is inline with relatively light wheels.

However, I have broken 3 stems (one from indirect pressure pulling off the pump - my fault, one with the outer thread breaking, and last one I don't have an explanation for - could have been me, the shop, or the wife filling the air).

Most recently I taco'd one side of my rear wheel while riding down a jeep road. I sent in for warranty work, recieved a quick phone call back, always extremely courteous and helpful. I am very impressed with their availability and helpfullness. I quickly got a RA# and I sent in the wheel for waranty work. They evaluated the rim and said that it was user inflicted. I am not going to argue, it did happen riding the bike, however, I expect my MTB wheels to be able to hold up to the force of my legs and my impressive 145lbs. They are replacing the rim at a reasonable rate, and I appreciate and highly recommend the service from AC.

In summary, good wheelset for someone looking for tubeless ready setup and is weight minded if they are prepared to deal with maintence and they will be well suported which goes a long way. However. If you weigh >150lbs, I would caution the durability of these wheels, and I recommend spending your money on similarly weighted alternatives and prices that are more durable.

Favorite Trail:   Auburn

Duration Product Used:   6months

Purchased At:   Velowrench, Vacavill

Similar Products Used:   mavic, crank brothers cobalt, XTR

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar 29 team - full XO, AC tubeless wheelset usually 23-26psi (digitally monitored)

Submitted by dubdryver a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Fast smooth running bearings...very high quality built wheelset!

Weaknesses:    20mm T/A is a tight squeeze!

Bottom Line:
One of my favorite wheelsets I have ever rode on...Period!
This set of wheels is so stiff and smooth, it completely transformed the way my Tallboy rides! It is just something that needs to be witnessed! The wheels roll so smooth and just give so much confidence on whatever you are riding!

The rim is pretty wide and it spreads my Maxxis Ardent 2.25 to the same size as a 2.4 without the increase of the weight! I have a Schwable Racing Ralph Performance 2.25 on the back and spreads it out just as big for the back!

I think the weight for the wheelset is 1680, which is less than the Stan's ZTR Arch 29s and I think these are by far a superior wheel build.

The tubeless setup that comes with the wheelset form American Classic is second-to-none and has trick anodized red aluminum valve stems which really look nice.

American Classic always considers racers while making their wheelsets. They have 2 spokes that are red (all the rest are black) that help identify the valve stem location...very nice touch if the heart is pumpin' and you are in the middle of a race and get a flat!

Favorite Trail:   Many! I like to travel