Airbomb Sun Rhyno Lite with WTB hubs Wheelset

4.47/5 (17 Reviews)

Airbomb Sun Rhyno Lite with WTB hubs

Submitted by Wilson a Cross Country Rider from SD, CA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, well built. Have stayed true through quite a bit of riding, including some downhill stuff at Big Bear.

Weaknesses:    Packaging?

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a package deal with an Avid Mech Disc. I upgraded the hub to a Hope XC from the stock XT and the rim to a Sun 0 Degree XC rim (It's 3x, 32h, straight 14g spokes). I'm a pretty light guy, but in all my travels, this (front) wheel has stayed true. I was impressed as most wheels I've had (besides my Cane Creek rear wheel) have required a bit of truing after the initial break in period. Perhaps the handbuilding of this wheel helped. I dunno. Either way, it's been a trouble free wheeel and I guess that's a pretty good compliment. It sounds like I might be the minority but when I called them to change the hub and rim on the wheel, they were more than willing to discuss the weights and specs of different parts with me and were very helpful in general. Also, I was impressed that they allowed me to swap parts on a package deal. Oh, about the weaknesses: the "box" that the wheel came in seemed like it was a handmade box from other flaps of cardboard. Everything was fine but it wasn't the most impressive thing I've ever seen...

Similar Products Used:   Stuff that rolls

Submitted by Kevin Tranor a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Strengths:    I have the airbomb built XT hubs on WTB laserdisk. The things are still dead straight after 1 full year

Bottom Line:
I am so impressed with this, my first wheelset that didn't
need monthly tunes. Airbomb use a fellow named Aaron who built for Rocky Mt. in Canada - I checked if he is still the wheel builder and talked to him directly as I ordered a King wheelset from them

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   Titus in XC mode

Submitted by John Fleming a Weekend Warrior from Bloomington

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Strengths:    Really really strong. Have stayed true longer than expected

Weaknesses:    Rims are ATB surface, don't have the machined sidewalls (like the XLs) They would be even stronger. Airbomb builds a very good custom wheel but take about 2 weeks to get them out the door.

Bottom Line:
Go for the custom wheels if you are heavy, it pays in the end

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek Cronos

Bike Setup:   Kona HeiHei

Submitted by James Seattle a Weekend Warrior from Compston

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    Nice black on black, great deal, came fast. Skewers included- I got the Deore Hubs on R.Lite rims and they have been perfect for a machine built wheel especially

Weaknesses:    Deore hubs are heavy

Bottom Line:
nice, tough, cheap wheels. These guys have Kenda 2.35 tires that are pretty good fit with the wheels

Favorite Trail:   Sliprock

Bike Setup:   Azonic DS 1

Submitted by Grant a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    Rock Solid. Mine are built around Shimano Deore hubs, though they did come form Airbomb.

Weaknesses:    Might be a little heavy if you care about heavy. I don't.

Bottom Line:
I rode the trail today on Rhyno lites that convinced me that Mavic 221's are for those with a death wish.
I was amazed after having ridden my favorite local trail on Bontrager Corvairs first, then cruddy Mavic 221s, to find that the Rhyno Lites are still as true after that same ride as when we left the house.
The trail was rocky with rocky climbs and rocky downhills and....did I mention rocks? With no grace whatsoever from me, these things did well throughout. Not even a hint off wobble.
Also, they just felt good. Hard to explain, but the whole ride just felt solid and kind of locked in.
I heartily suggest them.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Mavic 221 UB

Bike Setup:   1998 Trek 930

Submitted by Rich Dalles a Weekend Warrior from Pemberton

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Strengths:    Great value, good build

Weaknesses:    Rims won't take anything bigger than 2.4

Bottom Line:
These guys pump out tons of wheels and have the price/performance balance right. Nothing special but a surprise value

Favorite Trail:   ladies

Similar Products Used:   var

Bike Setup:   Joker with Mr T

Submitted by Rieta Ulativ a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2000

Strengths:    Keep on staying true, sidewalls not worn through

Weaknesses:    Rims are heavier than I thought

Bottom Line:
A handbuilt wheelset usually costs way more than this, they
told me one of the secrets is linseed oil instead of spoke
prep and a ton of pre-stressing. Get brass nipps.

Purchased At:   airbomb

Similar Products Used:   X517 (bent)

Bike Setup:   Nukeproof Stealth

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Londonderry, NH

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2000

Strengths:    Bomber build, staying true riding hard!

Weaknesses:    Weight!

Bottom Line:
Can't believe the quality bulid of these rims and the great customer service I had! The only issue I had was I wanted black hubs and got chrome...but honestly believe it was a mis-undersatnding during a conversation I had with them! Bevin also refunded me with store credit when the price dropped right after I had mine built! Overall, they were great to deal with!

Similar Products Used:   Mavic's that came on 98FSR Comp

Bike Setup:   98 FSR Comp, Race Face low riser bar, WTB saddle and these great rims!

Submitted by Asif Shaikh a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality. Very poor customer service

Bottom Line:
I would never buy anything from airbomb.com again. Wheels are not even close to being true. Very poor customer service. It seems, according to one employee, Bevin, that expecting the same quality as a local bike shop is absurd. Bevin explained that since they are an internet business, a customer should not expect anything much in the way of customer service unless he were spending " $7000 or $8000 " and then maybe that would be a long shot. Bevin was also kind enough to explain that the fact that I had just spent $1500( not close enough to his 7-8 thousand mark) at airbomb.com the previous week did not entitle me to any expectation of customer service any that I should quit "moaning" if I was still unhappy. I would never trust these people again with anything.

Submitted by Asif Shaikh a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality. Very poor customer service

Submitted by bilbo a Cross Country Rider from vegas

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Strengths:    cost
stregnth

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
i had airbomb (john to be specific) lace me up some hope ti-glide (splined) hubs to sun rhyno lites. and since mtbr would not add a new category for them, i am sticking the review here. basically john at airbomb does everything that you want a custom wheelbuilder to do. you tell him what you want. then he asks the right questions. and you get a solid wheelset. forget about machine built rims using grade 'a' components or high zoot 600+ dollar wheelsets. this is where you put your money. six months of rocks, jumps, drop offs, and bombing over baby heads later and the wheels are still true. i used to be in the habbit of checking my rims for trueness after every ride but lately i hardly even need to look. if you are looking for a custom rim builder, i recommend you give them a shot at puting together your next wheelset. period. five flamin' turds.