Airbomb NukeProof Ti Elite Union Ti Sun Sub IV Wheelset

2.17/5 (6 Reviews)

Airbomb NukeProof Ti Elite, Union Ti, Sun Sub IV

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    looks good

Weaknesses:    bearings are no good
Customer support? I dont think so. This guy John that claims to own the joint is afraid to face his customers. Good thing car dealerships dont handle business like this

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is I have never really been able to use the wheelset because it has never worked. The wheels came to me completely grease free or something. (Grinding) Quality control?? After about 3 months and about half of my riding season, I finally get ahold of a real person, instead of an answering service, only to get told I would have to pay for shipping and insurance to get a replacement. OK, I go for that, with the agreement that they send me the proper t-shirt and socks that I had already paid for.
Another month goes by before I see my wheels again. Then it happens, the arrival of the pkg. Guess what? Same noise, same wrong T-shirt and wrong socks. BUT they sent me a pair of "simple green" riding shorts. WTF is up with that???? NUKE PROOF NEVER AGAIN
Hey John, email me ok??? wishfull thinking

Favorite Trail:   Kettles

Purchased At:   Nuke Proof booth at Chi. show

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar LE \ XTR \ RaceFace

Submitted by Asif Shaikh a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality. Very poor customer service

Bottom Line:
I would never buy anything from airbomb.com again. Wheels are not even close to being true. Very poor customer service. It seems, according to one employee, Bevin, that expecting the same quality as a local bike shop is absurd. Bevin explained that since they are an internet business, a customer should not expect anything much in the way of customer service unless he were spending " $7000 or $8000 " and then maybe that would be a long shot. Bevin was also kind enough to explain that the fact that I had just spent $1500( not close enough to his 7-8 thousand mark) at airbomb.com the previous week did not entitle me to any expectation of customer service any that I should quit "moaning" if I was still unhappy. I would never trust these people again with anything.

Submitted by Asif Shaikh a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Extremely poor quality. Very poor customer service

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from RSM, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 1999

Strengths:
Light, cheap

Weaknesses:
Haven't had any problems but wish the bearings were a little larger.

Bottom Line:
Great Wheelset, light and cheap. I haven't experienced any of the problems that the other reviewer had. John attAirbomb is a great guy to deal with, plus they call you back to see if you like your purchase!

3 months

LX, Mavic

Rocky Mountain Element Race, Manitou SX Ti,

Submitted by Wayne a Cross-Country Rider from co

Date Reviewed: November 1, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
Extremely poor construction

Bottom Line:
The hub is light but becomes loose and wobbly with just a month of riding. Switched back to my shimano XT for decent safe control. Even the cheapest STX beats this Airbomb. Don't waste your money, buy XT with Sub4, alloy nipple, dbl butted spokes for only $139.

less than 1 month

Shimano XTR, XT, LX, stx, Chris King, Mavic crosslink

Submitted by Dave W. a Cross-Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1999

Strengths:
Light,
Affordable,
Really Light,
Pretty (if you care)

Weaknesses:
Perhaps the initial build??

Bottom Line:
I got a scary-light wheelset (635/795grams!) from Airbomb for a 12-hour solo event. They are _28_ spoke Sub IV rims radial front and half radial rear. Initially I was pretty freaked looking at these until I did a bit more research: at least the heads-out radial front puts less stress on the hub flanges than heads-in, and Sheldon Brown actually recommends the spoke pattern they did on the rear. I'll take off half a chili for them not caring enough to line up the valve hole/hub emblem (see Mike T's FAQ).Anyway, after a few mild pre-event rides, the rear developed a slight wobble. Visible, but not anywhere close to interfering with the brake pads (Avid Rim Wranglers), but I'll knock a half chili off for that. I decided to not touch them before the event and so raced with the wobble.The race was about 72 miles and 15,000' of alternately climbing and descending on runs at Snow Summit in Big Bear (8 miles per lap). The descent was down Westridge which is Snow Summit's beginner and sport-class DH course; I did this course 9 times. After the race, the rims were fine: the wobble was no better or worse than before the race. I flatted the front once but I think it was just an old tube giving out (it was a Greenlite). The Sub IV's braking performance was fine. Steering control was good.Time will tell on the overall durability, but so far, so good.

Lake Morena