WTB Weirwolf UST Tubeless Tire

3.94/5 (54 Reviews)

The redesigned WeirWolf is a different animal entirely. WTB added an extra row ofTransitionalTread betweenThe crown and side knobsThat givesThe new WeirWolf a positive feel and consistentTraction at any lean angle, from moderateTo extreme.TheTCS model addsThe performance benefits ofTubelessTechnology without adding weight. MountThe WeirWolf for big mountain cross county rides, Super D races of DH adventures and find out why Mark Weir is always sportingThat goofy grin. 890 grams UST Aramid b

Submitted by Kevin W a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Strengths:    Grip, rolling, control up front, perfect fit for 29er

Weaknesses:    Pricey but worth every penny

Bottom Line:
These reviews are tough and all over the place most likely because this tire has changed a lot over the years ... but six months after mounting this TCS model up front on my Tallboy LT in spring of 2013 I can honestly say I would never consider another because it is the best I've had, bar none. The new Weirwolf has more than proven itself on the trails in Downieville, Bend, Ashland and my home turf in Santa Cruz. Can't say how it performs in mud yet. Run it up front paired with a Wolverine in back ... so obviously big fan of WTB. I currently run these with tubes but plan to go tubeless next chance I get. Yeah it is a little pricey but worth every penny, no question. Absolutely no issues with wear. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Braille at Soquel Demo, Santa Cruz

Duration Product Used:   6 mo

Purchased At:   Yuba Expeditions, Do

Similar Products Used:   Panaracer and pretty much everything else

Bike Setup:   2012 Tallboy LT with WTB wheelset

Submitted by samsta

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Seems like decent tread and quality.

Weaknesses:    My "2.3" is really a 2.12. That's measured from outside of outer knob. With so many ordering these online this is bogus. A little bit off is cool but this is going on a 1/4" off. The "2.3" in my world is suitable for a rear xc tire in hard pack as the knobs are too small for gravel. Too small for front unless you like them old school skinny style or need them for xc racing.

Bottom Line:
Size does matter

Submitted by sumgai a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Front end grip, corners like a roller coaster, and long lasting tread.

Weaknesses:    None yet, but I haven't ridden them in wet conditions.

Bottom Line:
I'm running these tubeless on a Haven (Al) wheels on a 2012 Trek 9.7 (19.5"). I'm 205 lbs at 6'-2". I ride mostly in the Tahoe area, Auburn, Folsom/Granite Bay/El Dorado Hills area. The trails here are mostly dry and somewhat loose in the summer with plenty of technical rock gardens. I have raced XC on these and never had a problem. The WW is my favorite front tire.

Some people I know run them in back as well with limited grip unless you run the tire backwards so the claws dig into the trail. Most likely, you're better off running another tire in back.

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder in South Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Folsom Bike

Similar Products Used:   WTB Wolverine 2.2 (SUCKS!)

Bike Setup:   2012 Trek Fuel Ex 9.7, Easton Haven wheelset (15mm front/142x12mm rear), Fox 32 Float RLC 130mm fork, Fox RP2 rear shock.

Submitted by extremedave a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2012

Strengths:    Climbing traction and overall ride.

Weaknesses:    Cornering, side grip, build quality is a question mark.

Bottom Line:
For reference, the tires are mounted on full UST rims without sealant. Used for trail riding on packed, loose, and/or rocky singletrack.
Installing:
The tires mounted, aired, and seated without issue. No special tools, and a floor pump was sufficient to seat beads.
The good:
The tires biggest strength is straight line traction. I noticed a definite improvement while climbing, did not have to balance my weight as carefully to prevent spinning the tire (compared to the Nevegals). Also pleased with the overall ride, it may be due to the slightly larger 2.3 size but the bike goes over the rock gardens and rough stuff with a bit less drama. Lively but controlled on the downhills.
Have not had a wet ride on them so cannot comment.
The bad:
The side grip isn't there. I was totally surprised by the front sliding sideways off a loose-ish hillside. The section was in no way sketchy and my buddy (on the same line) rode right through it. On some faster downhill sections I just did not have the confidence to really push in the corners. Surprising since the tire seems to be billed as a carver.
Quality:
Potentially an issue. Of the first pair I ordered, one leaked through the tread before I ever rode it. Hucknroll replaced the tire without question. Now, after three rides, the front tire has a leak in roughly the same area of the tread. It certainly could be a puncture but I cannot see any foreign object and based on my previous tire, I'm worried this could be a trend. I will be installing Stan's sealant in the hopes of preventing more leaks.
Value:
At the sale price ($32.48) it's a great deal for a full UST 2.3 tire and I'd likely buy again. Well, providing I have no further quality issues. But at the full $60-70.00 price per tire I'd try something else.

Purchased At:   Hucknroll

Similar Products Used:   Kenda Nevegal (tube) WTB Velociraptor (tube)

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X4

Submitted by Aslan a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    Very predictable cornering
Excellent climbing traction
Reasonably fast roller
Very good dry to damp traction

Weaknesses:    Weak sidewalls
Middling braking performance
Very fast wearing
Poor in mud and wet conditions

Bottom Line:
I like this tire, I really do, but I have stopped running them as they are too subject to sidewall failure. I had been running the TCS tubeless almost exclusively front and rear for almost two years and have gone through about 8 tires. Of those 8, 3 have failed due to sidewall cuts and one had the tread sliced through by a rock. Two of the failures were in the Downieville area and two were in the Chico area. Chico is very rocky but in 20 years of riding 'other' tires I have only had one sidewall failure. Downieville is just not that rocky or technical. Tires should not fail there. In sum, a very nice but unreliable tire, which is a shame as they had a lot going for them.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding

Purchased At:   LBS North Rim

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list but to give a general idea..... Nevigals, Mythos, Trail Kings, ect...

Bike Setup:   Moots Cinco nicely equipped

Submitted by Mark Denn a Cross Country Rider from Vacaville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Awesome grip during corning and climb. Soft rubber compound and specially designed side knobs really hook up. Able to run very low pressures with tubeless setup.

Weaknesses:    Soft rubber side knobs wear out fast. Not a super fast roller.

Bottom Line:
I really love these tires. The very thing that makes them great also is their nemesis. That is the soft rubber knobs. These wear fairly fast and you lose a little corner grip. The rear tire tends to wear out faster than the front. Best used if you have a twisting hard packed single track that requires a lot of grip. Very playful and fun tire.

Purchased At:   WTB online

Similar Products Used:   No other WTB tires used.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur 4x. 30psi 2.1 on the rear and 2.3 on the front.

Submitted by mungry a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Great dry draction. These tires are extremely predictable in dry conditions. Also did well in loose/rocky conditions and on slick rock. Seemed to roll well and gave lots of good feedback under braking. Sidewalls fared well getting scrapped against granite and cactus. 2.1 size holds true.

Disclaimer: Review for Dry conditions only!!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Great tire! From my expreice I've had so far I would buy these again or recomend them to a friend. I don't know if I'd buy them at MSRP tough... (that could just be me being a penny pincher though)

Favorite Trail:   Quacking Aspen Classic

Purchased At:   ChainLove

Similar Products Used:   WTB Velociraptor

Bike Setup:   rear tire mounted forwards

Submitted by orekizler a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2011

Strengths:    Well priced for the online deal that I found. Good rolling resistance and manageable skidding.

Weaknesses:    Bad traction on wet, muddy and loose surface.

Bottom Line:
I have to admit I only tried this as a rear tire this winter. So I haven't had a chance to ride them on a dry hardpack surface.
They haven't been acting good on wet. As they have good climbing traction while on the saddle they easily loose traction uphill when you get off the saddle.
It just wont roll over wet roots and rocks. Due to their design they gunk up easily with mud but they shouldn't be used under those conditions anyway.
It shows very predictable skid on corners. Feels like it s gonna be good on dry hardpack.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by Doc D a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2011

Strengths:    Lot's of grip, much more than the WTB Wolverines I had before. You can just toss the bike into corners. Climbing and braking grip is also very good. Rolling resistance is suprisingly good considering how well they stick to the trail. When they finally break away it's very smooth and controllable. First 50 miles of use has shown little wear.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. I bought the 2.3 size, looks narrow.

Bottom Line:
Great tire. I'm happy so far. It's much heavier than my last set of tires and I really felt it the first couple times out. Now that I'm used to it I dont really care. I'll take the added grip even though it costs acceleration. I'd highly recommend this tire for riders looking for traction in the corners with pretty decent rolling resistance. If you get them for as cheap as I did it's definitely worth a try even if you are happy with what you have.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Similar Products Used:   I've tried all kinds of tires, most recently I have burned through a set of WTB Wolverines.

Bike Setup:   C'dale Prophet

Submitted by jumper780 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Strengths:    -Strength
-Durability
-Easy to mount for a UST

Weaknesses:    -Price! (I refuse to pay $60 for a tire, so I waited and found them on sale for $40)
-Heavy
-Horrible in conditions that are slightly wet

Bottom Line:
I was hooked on the old line of Wolf tires. When these came out, I bought one for the rear and hated it. Then I gave it another try and bought one for the front and hated it even more. The old style really hooked up in loose terrain (really bit). This one has a more controlled slide feel to it and just feels heavy. The casing seems small for a 2.3, more like a 2.1. Also, any small amount of mud and go home, this tire packs up like a fat man's bowels on cheese. Don't get me wrong, in the right conditions which is dry to slightly loose soil, this tire will do well. But for aggressive trails with loose rock very loose soil, this tire is all over the place. Its too bad they don't still offer the old style for special order.
FYI, after trying countless tires trying to find one that rode like the old wolf, I found the golden tire. Continental Trail King 2.2. I can really rail corners and she doesn't pack up to bad in the mud. Wide casing on the 2.2 more like a 2.3 and only 650 grams. I'm sold.
If the tires were cheaper and the 2.3 was a 2.3 and not more like a 2.1 I would give it a higher rating.

Favorite Trail:   Salado Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Old style Weirwolf 2.3 which I really liked

Bike Setup:   2010 Blur LT2
All the goodies

Submitted by rompemonster a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    Quite ok on semi-muddy single track...

Weaknesses:    Quality

Bottom Line:
I had ultra low expectations -but currently living in Indonesia you have to sometimes take what they serve you... quite nice ride feeling when it is not 'too engaging' (meaning slow). Roll better than they look... I was almost getting happy with them until -after only some 20hrs, the rear tire delaminated (at ~40psi). Managed home thanks to Stan... not sure I'll risk buying them again

Favorite Trail:   Ri ndu Alam

Purchased At:   Bagus Bike

Similar Products Used:   Not entirely similar but these have stayed with me the longest the last few years:
Big Betty, CrossMark, Ardent (for different usage)

Bike Setup:   Enduro SL. Tires were set up on the 'XC wheels' I have for the bike: Fulcrum RedMetal3

Submitted by mountainbikeloco a Weekend Warrior from Eastbay, CA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    I am reviewing the 2.3 TCS and I love the way these tires hook-up in any terrain at any angle. I run these tubless, and I am a heavy guy who has never had them flex or burp. Excellent traction.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side, but they're very durable, so the weight is a good trade-off

Bottom Line:
Great tires that perform extremely well.

Favorite Trail:   el Prieto (R.I.P.)

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz BLT, i9 all-mountain wheels, Avid Elixr brakes, sram X-9 drivetrain with an XTR crank, fox Float RLC 140, Fox RP23.

Submitted by OOverboard a Cross Country Rider from water valley alberta canada

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2010

Strengths:    Grip

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Great tire. Using the 2010 2.3 UST version and it is better than previous versions. Wear rate seems quite high, but that's the price you pay. Weigh is a tad high but that's the tradeoff for higher durability. Run them at 32 psi and they provide awesome traction. Replacement will be same tire when the time comes.

Favorite Trail:   Powderface

Purchased At:   universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   2.1 Weirwolf, ohter front specific tires (I consider this front specific)

Bike Setup:   Blur LTc xc build

Submitted by Daveciv a Cross Country Rider from bay area california

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2010

Strengths:    Weirwolf 2.3 AM TCS. I am talking about the new weirwolf.

THIS TIRE ROCKS!
Ok Run this tire tubeless. Thats what it was designed for and it gets a better contact patch. I love the way this tire corners. It rolls fast and transitions fast and once you get used to it you fly. As a trail tire for xc and freeride at the right tire pressure its very stable and very hooked up at lean angles.
Tire pressure: OK knuckle heads this is important! Get a good gauge on your floor pump. A 0-60 psi gauge is super cheap and very accurate to read. Every race car,race bike,bike racer needs to have perfect tire pressure Nobody in Road racing or supercross or World cup DH or XC squezes their tires to measure air pressure. Get a good gauge, get it right and be rewarded with traction! I am running the front tire at 31psi and the rear at 30psi. In my area it works awesome.Lower than 30 just flexs to much This tire has help me make more switchbacks and technical sections then ever before.
Cornering:The new weirwolf likes lean angle, the more the better! Once you get used to the fast turn in and getting the bike to the right lean angle this tire will hook up and pull just about any turn.
I would say this tire is a soft terrain on anything moist and tacky its hands down the best rubber I have been on as it get dry and loose on the downhill it pushes around a bit but in a controllable manner. The Weirwolf tcs gives great feedback as opposed to just letting go. I have ridden just about every wtb tire and so far these are my favorite!

Weaknesses:    If your a lazy rider the front will push. Its the type of thing if your sitting in the seat and your just turning your bars and not getting the bike leaned over the front feels nervous and a little skiddy. Remedy-weight the inside bar on every turn and you will be stoked.
I feel like this tire sacrifices a little in the braking dept to be better in other areas so take it easy on the rear brake.

Bottom Line:
Run the right PSI for you
Run it tubeless!
ride as much as you can

Favorite Trail:   Demo forest

Similar Products Used:   Almost every wtb tire plus kendas and a couple of Michelins.
I used to road race and tires cost 500 a set. MTB tires are cheap when you compare.

Bike Setup:   2009 Specialized Enduro sl pro

Submitted by HaloRacer a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent cornering! I went through sand, sand on hardpack, wood chips, and light mud. I was little apprehensive at first, but found that no matter how hard I pushed the lean, they never lost grip.

Rolling resistance on hard-pack is very low. The center of these tires ride a little high for very quick speeds, with the bigger cornering knobs ready for any turns.

Climbs very well for me, and I'm not too heavy. Powers up a lot of stuff I used to always slip on.

They are setup perfectly on my EX 7's stock rims (Bontrager Duster), tubeless with Stan's.

Weaknesses:    Going through any sort of mud, these things will cover you! I guess if you like to gey WAY dirty this is a Pro, but man... I only went through a few stretches of very light mud and the back of my bike is plastered. I have a water bottle mounted on the bottom of the down tube and the opening was sealed with crap. Mmm... minerals!

After muddy/wet sections they tend to pick up a lot of junk between the knobs. They clear themselves after a little riding on some dry stuff, but only by means of flicking a lot of stuff in your face.

They are a little thin for 2.3 tires. I wish they made these

Bottom Line:
I don't know what's with the few bad reviews here. These seem to be excellent quality, and I've had no issues running these tubeless.

Highly recommend these to anyone tired of washing out in corners and want an overall aggressive tire.

I haven't had these too long, but I'll see how they hold up.

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon

Purchased At:   Bicycle Warehouse

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek Fuel EX 7
WTB Weirwolf 2.3 UST front and back

Weirwolf UST vs. AM TCS?

I'm looking at some Weirwolf 2.3 - enjoyed it on a friend's bike and want to give it a try on my mojo. A couple questions: That's a heavy tire - I thought it rode great, but is it worth the weight? Which version should I get? AM TCS is heavier that UST? Plus add sealant on top? Why would one w ... Read More »

Bronson TCS, Wolverine UST, Weirwolf. Oh my!?

I'm currently using tubed Kenda Nevagals on Stan's Crest rims (lumpy...) and would like to try tubeless. Which of these tires do you guys recommend? Mostly hardpack, occasional rocks. roots, and some mud. I'd prefer the lighter of the three if WTB's weights are accurate. ('09 GT Force Carbo ... Read More »

WTB Weirwolf TCS on UST Rim?

Has anyone mounted up a Weirwolf TCS on a UST rim? I just bought a Weirwolf 2.3 AM TCS, and was going to mount it to my XTR UST front rim. I was thinking about mounting it before my ride tonight, but not if it's going to be a PITA or take a long time.Read More »

WTB Weirwolf TCS vs UST???

Can't really figure out what the difference is (besides weight). What would be the best option for a Crossmax wheelset?Read More »

2010 Weirwolf UST Experiences?

Anyone ridden the new '10 UST Weirwolfs in either the 2.1" or 2.3" size? Experience? Mounting/sealing troubles or anything? Thanks!Read More »